In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

carry permit

Simple ManSimple Man Member Posts: 3,252
I live in the great state of Tennessee and have had a carry permit for several years. On my card it reads "Carry Permit" not concealed carry permit. I have always carried it concealed, either IWB or an ankle holster, but wondered what if I carried my Colt 45 cowboy style. Would women run screaming at the site of my gun or would the bad guys think twice before they committed a crime around me.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The carrying of arms CONCEALED gives the one carrying the edge of surprise.

Carrying openly, IMO is silly. Your going to be the FIRST target of a perp.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind

Not if everybody's got one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rockatansky
    quote:Originally posted by freemind

Not if everybody's got one.

That is an unusual circumstance in todays society Max. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually I would like to see more open carry, for a couple of reasons.

It is a blunt visual reminder of the free exercise of a fundamental right. The ol' "if you don't use it you lose it", theory. We need that desperately in these times.

A 'bit-o-in your face' is necessary to let the collectivist-crowd know that everyone isn't on-board with their line of thought.

This would cause great consternation for a time, amongst the girly-men and various and sundry collectivist-types, but in the end, it would directly assist in removing the general stigma of armed citizens being among us.

As far as being a target for some criminal mope, I think this is a hit-or-miss hypothesis. Most mopes are fearful of confrontation and if one entered, or came into an area, where there was an armed citizen, the mope would most likely leave and choose a soft target, rather than what he perceived as a hard target.

This is representative of the vast majority of criminal situations, I believe.

Someone with serious deadly intent, may well target a visibly armed citizen, although ot would likely give pause to the mope also, since getting shot is not in the game plan, normally.

This, more infrequent situation, should, however, be countered to some extent, by the armed citizen having area awareness and operating whilst in public, in the 'yellow/orange-zone', rather than in the 'white-zone'. One should notice some signs and symptoms of 'something' not being right and be on your guard in such a case.