In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Google & Yahoo censor online ammo sales!

WorkingzombieWorkingzombie Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
The other day I was trying to get the site to Sportsmanguide.com via Google to buy some ammo for my new Mosin '44. Imagine my surprise after I got to the site that the ammunition page had nothing but paintball ammo. I thought this was weird, because I had ordered ammo from them online last year.

So I called Sportmanguide and the salesguy said yea, when you type in Sportsmanguide or similar sites on Google or Yahoo, the ammunition page is not permitted--You have to type the web address manually. The company has two web sites links, one with ammo and one without ammo. The reason is if Sportsmanguide wants to be included in Google/Yahoo searches, they must comply with Google's/Yahoo's policy not to advertise ammo.

Can you believe this hypocrisy from these search engines companies?
They sell thier search engine services to Communist China by restricting or reporting any internet searches for terms like "Democracy" or "Freedom" by Chinese citizens, but in the US they will not allow searches for online stores to sell ammo! (and maybe guns too--I haven't checked yet.) Like they think they are holier-than- thou to prevent the sale of ammo, but's it's ok to sell out to a repressive regime for money?

Comments

• tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Typical liberal, left wing logic/thinking. I am not surprised (well, a little surprised)
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    We are amused.

Exactly where is the hypocrisy concerning Google ?

Limiting freedom in China...limiting freedom in America. Where in'ell is the difference ? Do you presume to believe that corporations give a damn about ANYTHING but money and power...and guns and free speech interfere with the gathering of same ?
  • gonzo1510gonzo1510 Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't seem to have that problem. Are you sure you didn't hit the paintball link by mistake?
  • WorkingzombieWorkingzombie Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to eat crow. Google does seem to have some restrictions on searches for like Sportsmanguide, but not Yahoo. And not to the extent as I first thought--Though they do have some fudging with requiring two web sites for Sportsmanguide. Sorry for the kee-jerk post.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Workingzombie
    I have to eat crow. Google does seem to have some restrictions on searches for like Sportsmanguide, but not Yahoo. And not to the extent as I first thought--Though they do have some fudging with requiring two web sites for Sportsmanguide. Sorry for the kee-jerk post.

I for one appreciate you being responsible and coming back and telling us about your error.
  • jnmiller75jnmiller75 Member Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, part of the problem is companies are willing to have a second website in order to still be included in the search. In a way that is selling out, and encourages these search engines to make up even more stupid requirements.

But if they don't, then they wont be included in searches. So what.

Imagine this....You have a sporting goods store and your main business is selling guns, ammo, and other accessories. The phone book people come wanting to sell you an ad in the yellow pages, but want no mention of selling guns or ammo. In fact they won't list it under sporting goods. They will however list it under something like florist or pottery. Are you still going to buy an ad? Of course not.

So why would a company agree to make a second site to agree/comply with a search engines requirement. I think that makes zero sense. Sure you would not be included in that one search engines searches, but there are many other ways to advertise, the biggest being word of mouth.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I personally refuse to buy at Sportsmans Guide. When asking aboout a number of "prohibited items" that will not ship to MA, but are perfectly legal to have,they replied that they are looking out for their investors. I believe they were threatened with a suit by the AG and pussed out. I don't see how the juristiction applies one being out of state and 2 selling items not restricted.

I am talking in this case about a new 1903 stock and an AR multi-tool. Not even items of questionable legality. I told them I was buying those items from cheaper than dirt and would tell all of my friends to do so as well.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is interesting...

Type "cheaperthandirt" into Yahoo and their website comes up first thing, but type it into Google and you only get other websites that reference cheaperthandirt.

Basically Google are just a bunch of fatladys. They go where the money is. They probably had some lawyer tell them that they were incurring some liability by linking to ammunition sellers. Or maybe they are a bunch of Liberal wussies, dunno. Somebody linked dogpile.com a while back and I kind of like it.

-Wolf