In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

gun owners need to create new ways to fight for our gun rights.

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
As a long term NRA member, I have done what little I have the time and money for to fight for our gunrights. I send the NRA money as often as I can when they ask for it (they need it), and I write letters to my representatives and to the media as well as talk up gun rights to people who are undecided ( or even anti-gun) and that will listen. I buy my teenage daughter a full NRA membership each year and have bought her a couple of handguns which I let her shoot now and when she is older I will give them to her. She is a hard-core NRA member and talks it up with all her friends and people she meets. Coming from a young, attractive female, her message often gets across. But in spiteof all that is being done, I just think we must come up with some new, more effective (cost and effort wise) and maybe even something that seems easy to do. Anyone interested in trying to come up with news ideas?

Comments

• AGMIKEAGMIKE Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree. I too have a soon to be 13yr old daughter who enjoys shooting and supporting our gun rights. I also wright letters and send postcards when GOA asks but maybe the voices of our children need to be herd and seen by the media. A million moms got the media's attention, how much attention can a million WILL BE MOMS supporting the right to bear arms get? I agree, we should think of new ways to combat the anti-gunners, and maybe our children should be involved, its their country tomorrow.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    thanks for your thoughtful reply. It worries me that on this section of gunbroker.com there is very little interest. Most of the interest seems devoted to buying, selling or talking to other gun owners. And while this is great fun, if we don't spend a little of of our time and money on helping to keep ( and maybe even expand) our gun rights then at some point in time we won't have any guns. Do you have any new ideas on how to carry on the fight for our gun rights? I am bothered by the fact that presently it seems we can only fight for gun rights on a "large scale". I.E. large amounts of money spent, many law suits, lots of costly media messages and advertising. All this is fine and needed but I think we are missing many "small scale" inexpensive ways to carry on the fight. I have a few ideas I have never seen anyone try. How about anyone else? Larry
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen: since no one here advocates the overthrow of our government by force,(I hope) we must overthrow it at the polls. That is the ONLY way we are going to win back our rights, by voting for pro-gun canidates. People keep electing candidates who are against the second amendment, the likes of Clinton's, Schummer and our own idiot from NJ Lautenberg, who left office on his own, thanks be to God. Work harder for your candidates, if you can, support them with your money as well. Too many good people in our country are disgusted with the government and say stupid things like, what good does it do to vote. Well, you can see the result of staying away from the polls. We are governed by dolts, who will do anything to get elected. Our newest senator from NJ (another anti-gun activist) spent 60.000,000 to get into office. I worked very hard for his opponent, but people gave up before the election and did not vote out of frustration. That's the problem. We must win at the polls!
    Guns don't kill people, it's the bullets.. stupidI am the NRAnjretcop@keepandbeararms.com[This message has been edited by njretcop (edited 08-30-2001).]
    edited November -1
    Thank you for you latest reply. Let me say I appreciate your great time and effort you extended while helping your pro-gun candidate. But I am looking for, frankly, a cheaper and easier and maybe even a more effective way of fighting for our gun rights. Even if I extended myself, I don't have the time and money to fight the gun fight the traditional ways. I.e. large time and effort working for a particular candidate, large amounts of money donated to NRA, GOA, etc. While I agree with and understand your actions, I must find an easier and better way. Much as back when army battles were fought using swords and man against man. Then someone invented gunpower, guns and bullets. I want to try and find a new way of fighting. I know we can pool our efforts and do a better job. suggestings anyone? Larry
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    njretcop-I think your new boy Corizine is even worse than Lautenberg. At least we do not have to worry about Torricelli much longer.
    edited November -1
    I truley think if we rely mostly on the elected representatives in power(whether we voted for them or not) we are always be overly dependent on their actions and utimately we are going to lose the gun wars. Larry
  • MadjackMadjack Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know this sounds crazy, but I believe it is time to have a Million Man/Women march on DC and place all current politicians under arrest. Not a one of them, Democrap or Republicrap has followed the laws of our country. I have mentioned this to others and the most ludicrous answer I got was that "we can't do that!", "it's against the law to carry a gun in DC!" They miss the whole point. The Constitution tells us that it is "our duty" to take back our government anytime it is threatened. Think about it. J.H.
    edited November -1
    J.H. thanks for responding. At some point it may come to what you are suggesting. But for now, as long as laws can made, and people will follow them, I perfer to work inside the system. Also I don't want to do anything that will destroy society as has been done in Bosina, etc. I want to keep society intact not only for the benefit of myself, but for my loved ones. But we have got to find better ways than we are now using or we will lose the gunwar. Larry
  • ironsitesironsites Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with "madjack". The politicians take an oath to uphold the constitution-if they break that oath- they should be held accountable by the people. Every bill proposed which is clearly against the bill of rights should be treated as tyrannous act and the politician should be charged with that crime. Ours is a Replublic Government, not a Democracy. I wish all would call it that, as I hear too many times Democracy this, Democracy that- WE ARE A REPUBLIC! Until the Bill of Rights is changed- all laws infringing the right of the people to keep and bear arms are NULL and VOID, and we must let them know this, and that we will not tollarate such acts. We must mail letters, make phone calls to all our representitives. "Firearms stand next to importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American peoples's liberty teeth and keystone under independence". *George Washington*
    edited November -1
    thanks for reply ironsites. as I told Madjack, it may come to that some day. But for now I am looking for new and effective ideas I can act on today or tomorrow aand that will not disrupt my live, job, family, etc. or put me in the sights of some federal cop or even in prison. I appreciate the battle being fought by the NRA, GOA, 2nd Amendment Foundatation, etc. but they are fighting the conventation battle, i.e. lawsuits, supporting only congressmen who suport us, letter writing and phone calls, etc. That is great and needs to continue but I am looking for ideas from people like you and new and better ways. One action I have began to take is in the last few days I encourage everyone, as I am doing to you right now, to join and support in everyway they can, a national AND local gun rights group. Here is just one example of new and better ways I think we can fight the gun war: The only local citywide daily newspaper here frequently prints anti-gun ownership articles and opinions and are very anti-gun for the citizens. Of course they are pro-gun for any and every government agent. But I went to the trouble to get proof that this very same anti-gun newspaper has armed private security officers working at the newspaper office and also pays an armored car company to send an armed man to their officer every day to pick up money to safely take to the bank. This situation loudly screams severe hypocrisy and I called this to the attention of a local gun rights group and suggested together we find some way to beat the newspaper company to death by using their own hypocrisy against them by a demonstration, etc. Nothing was ever done and I couldn't do anything by myself. What do you think should be done?
  • arkresearcharkresearch Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Battle ridicule with ridicule , ask congress for a PLASTIC knife registry and a carrypermit to all persons using BOX CUTTERS witha CLASS III permit for SILENCED ONES (the ones with Rubber hand pads).....
  • arkresearcharkresearch Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Battle ridicule with ridicule , ask congress for a PLASTIC knife registry and a carrypermit to all persons using BOX CUTTERS witha CLASS III permit for SILENCED ONES (the ones with Rubber hand pads).....