In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Our Founding Documents:

Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
Our Founding Documents:

I don't know if any of you subscribe to the "Patriot Post", but I got this today. I know many on this forum are intimately familiar with the wording of the Constitution, the Bill Of Rights and the Federalist Papers. There are some whom visit, just read and leave. Hopefully this will be of value to anyone in either of the above categories. Since some of my elected "Representation" has such a "Reading Comprehension" problem with the Constitution and Bill Of Rights, I'm sending them a copy of this ENTIRE file.

Publisher's Note:

It is our privilege to make accessible to our readers the only modern-language paraphrase of The Federalist Papers available on the Internet. Author Marshall Overstedt has painstakingly updated the original Federalist Papers under the title The Federalist Papers... In other words, bringing one of the 18th century's most powerful debates to a 21st-century audience.

Penned by Founders Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and John Jay in defense of the nation's as-yet unratified Constitution and published under the name "Publius" (a tradition this publication maintains today), The Federalist Papers are still the definitive interpretation of the U.S. Constitution. Overstedt's modern-language version makes this important collection accessible to a broad public audience in a way inconceivable at the publication of the originals between October 1787 and August 1788. Overstedt also provides introductions to the three original authors, as well as comprehensive topical indexes to the Papers and the Constitution-invaluable resources for any student of American history.

Available in a printer-friendly PDF format, Overstedt's In other words is a refreshing and faithful rendition of a classic, and a must read for the modern-day American Patriot.

The Patriot Post - Understanding our Constitution:
A Modern Language Paraphrase of The Federalist Papers
http://patriotpost.us:80/histdocs/inotherwords/

Our Founding Documents:

Historic Documents - The Declaration of Independence
http://patriotpost.us/histdocs/declaration_of_independence.asp

Historic Documents - The Declaration of Independence
(Image - PDF - July 2, 1776)
http://patriotpost.us/histdocs/declaration_img.asp

Historic Documents - The Constitution of the United States of America
September 17, 1787
http://patriotpost.us/histdocs/constitution/

Historic Documents - The Constitution of the United States of America
(Image - PDF - 1787)
http://patriotpost.us/histdocs/constitution/img.asp

Historic Documents - The Federalist Papers
http://patriotpost.us/fedpapers/

Historic Documents - The Anti-Federalist Papers
http://patriotpost.us/antifedpapers/

Historic Documents - The Bill of Rights:
The First 10 Amendments to the Constitution as Ratified by the States
http://patriotpost.us/histdocs/constitution/bill_of_rights.asp

The Constitution: Amendments 11-27:
http://patriotpost.us/histdocs/amendments.htm

The Patriot Post - Historic Documents:
Documents are divided into several sub headings.
Before 1776...
The War for Independence...
The Constitution and Related Documents...
1783 - 1860..
War Between the States..
1865 - Present...
More Resources and Document Archives...
Including The Quote Archive.
http://patriotpost.us/histdocs/

Now, You will undoubtedly hear about the "Missing 13th Amendment". I am including one link. There are several. Just Google; "The Missing 13th Amendment" for your fill.

USA: The Missing 13th Amendment
http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/E/thirteen/thirteen1.htm

Comments

• Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a good idea in principle, but I would not hold my breath, expecting one of your reps to write you back, and thank you for the "enlightenment"! [;)]
    I.E,.....disinterest.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mars1301:

I would never be so na?ve as to expect more than a canned response stating they got the notice. It would merely be a display of my contempt and let them know I am not one of their sheeple. That I am aware of what their up to AND that I am not one of the silent majority.
    edited November -1
    Its a good idea for the purpose you stated, as long as you are clear on the end results, compared to the objective.
    They are all sooooooo bad! I dread the media circus over the 2008 race, and all of the BS we will have to hear on TV, and radio. It truly is sad.
    Did you watch the GOP "canned debate" last night with the "slobberer" Matthews?
    edited November -1
    Marc1301:

What are they gonna do, pull my voter registration card?

I saw as much of it as I could stand. After about 10 minutes or so it was such a circle jerk, we change the channel. So, I guess I'd have to say No.
    edited November -1
    We lasted about the same length of time,...........I put in a DVD of All in the Family, much more entertaining,.......at least to me.[;)]
    edited November -1
    Marc1301:

I checked my e-mail and went to bed. Been retired for years now but still get up at five or six even without an alarm. Since it was such an early night, Five this morning.
    edited November -1
    Marc1301:

This CP press release about the debate came in earlier. I'm just getting to it. An interesting read. What I got discussed with about the debate was, at each new question, it was Romney first and then the rest. I did get a chance to hear both Paul and Tancredo speak a couple of times but both got rudely cut-off each time. That's when I gave it up.

Just realized the article was rather long, and the "Press Release" page hasn't been updated so I can't get a link. Oh well, maybe later.
    edited November -1
    Chris Matthews was the "perfect" host! Glad I wasn't there to be "slobbered" on by him.
    Am I the only one that can't figure out what is wrong with this guys mouth? He spends half of his time trying to keep the saliva in it.
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is some more interesting reading that we all should become familiar with :

Martial law is the system of rules that takes effect when the military takes control of the normal administration of justice.
    Usually martial law reduces some of the personal rights ordinarily granted to the citizen, limits the length of the trial processes, and prescribes more severe penalties than ordinary law. In many states martial law prescribes the death penalty for certain crimes, even if ordinary law does not contain that crime or punishment in its system.
    Originally martial law was imposed during wars or occupations to let the government control population more effectively in spite of heightened unrest. Nowadays it is most commonly used by authoritarian governments to enforce their rule, for example after coup d'?tat (Thailand 2006), when threatened by popular protests (PRC 1989), or to crack down on the opposition (Poland 1981). Martial law can also be declared in cases of major natural disasters, however most countries use a different legal construct like "state of emergency".
    In many countries martial law imposes particular rules, one of which is curfew. Often, under this system, the administration of justice is left to a military tribunal, called a court-martial. The suspension of the writ of habeas corpus is likely to occur.

United States of America
    See also: Suspension clause
    The martial law concept in the U.S. is closely tied with the Writ of habeas corpus, which is in essence the right to a hearing on lawful imprisonment, or more broadly, the supervision of law enforcement by the judiciary. The ability to suspend habeas corpus is often equated with martial law. Article 1, Section 9 of the U.S. Constitution states, "The privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion; the public Safety may require it."
    In United States law, martial law is limited by several court decisions that were handed down between the American Civil War and World War II. In 1878, Congress passed the Posse Comitatus Act, which forbids military involvement in domestic law enforcement without congressional approval.
    The National Guard is an exception, since unless federalized, they are under the control of state governors. [5]. This has now changed. Public Law 109-364, or the "John Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007" (H.R.5122), was signed by President Bush on October 17, 2006, and allows the President to declare a "public emergency" and station troops anywhere in America and take control of state-based National Guard units without the consent of the governor or local authorities. Title V, Subtitle B, Part II, Section 525(a) of the JWDAA of 2007 reads "The [military] Secretary [of the Army, Navy or Air Force] concerned may order a member of a reserve component under the Secretary's jurisdiction to active duty...The training or duty ordered to be performed...may include...support of operations or missions undertaken by the member's unit at the request of the President or Secretary of Defense." [3]
    [edit] New Orleans, Louisiana
    During the War of 1812, U.S. General Andrew Jackson imposed martial law in New Orleans, Louisiana after capturing the encampment of New Orleans from the British in the Battle of New Orleans.
    [edit] The Territory of Hawaii
    During World War II (1939 to 1945) what is now the State of Hawaii was held under martial law from 1941 to 1945 .
    [edit] Hurricane Katrina
    Contrary to many media reports at the time, martial law was not declared in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, because no such term exists in Louisiana state law. However, a State of Emergency was declared, which does give unique powers to the state government similar to those of martial law. On the evening of August 31, 2005, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin nominally declared "martial law" and said that "officers don't have to worry about civil rights and Miranda rights in stopping the looters." Federal troops were a common sight in New Orleans after Katrina. At one point, as many as 15,000 federal troops and National Guardsmen patrolled the city to curb its descent into chaos and looting.
    Abort Cuomo
    edited November -1
    nyforester:

It is funny you should bring up Martial Law. I immediately thought about The Model State Emergency Health Powers Act and started looking for my documents. I'm sure I've posted all this information on GB before but wouldn't know where to start looking for it again. I am easily distracted when I'm searching the inter-net or even my own archives for something but I finally found the specific article I wanted.

The "Model State Emergency Health Powers Act": An Assault on Civil Liberties
    http://www.heritage.org/Research/HealthCare/HL748.cfm

This is the article I've spent so much time trying to relocate:

What You Need to Know About The Proposed Model State Emergency Health Powers Act in Your State:
    *Seize your house, car, telephones, computers, food, fuel, clothing, firearms and alcoholic beverages for their own use..
    http://www.909shot.com/ActionAlerts/what_you_need_to_know.htm

Now, knowing this, you'll understand why some people think there's no big rush to manufacture/supply vaccines in adequate quantities for possible epidemics like bird-flu. And yet, they want to vaccinate all the little school girls for something they may never get??? WTH's UP???

I've actually posted these before also but they are easier to find so I'll let you Google the law and pick which articles you want to checkout. You'll learn a lot about things you see going on with base closures and the military.
    Checkout: Public Law 87-297 AND Public Law 101-216
    edited November -1
    Marc1301:

Here is a full transcript of the debate.

The Republican Presidential Candidates Debate - New York Times
    Click here for link

For the single Issue transcripts click the link below.

Republican Candidates On Immigration -- May 3, 2007 Debate:
    http://www.firesociety.com/article/12989/?src=111

Republican Candidates On Abortion -- May 3, 2007 Debate
    http://www.firesociety.com/article/12980/?src=111
    edited November -1
    This question is from Wagon Wheels original heading. I was reading the Federalist Papers. Under #29 - The Militia, How do you interpret this sentence ?

"If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security."

I am looking for some insight and clarification.
    Abort Cuomo
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    http://patriotpost.us/antifedpapers/antifed29.htm

After many years of believing that the Federalist papers explained the finest achievment of mankind...I 'discovered' the Anti-Federalist papers.

I have had an uncomfortable feeling about the Federalist Papers...for years..and it appears that the seeds for the destruction of basic rights is contained within the Constitution.
    There was a continguent of learned men in that time that urged Washington to become 'King'...and to consolidate power into the Federal Government...
    Instead, there came a truly revolutionary process...the PEOPLE becoming supreme power...followed by the States..and the Federal Government weakest of all.
    However...the 'Supreme Government' fraction took every oportunity to water down, obfuscate, and confuse the issues..setting the stage for the Civil War and the takeover by the Federals.

It simply cannot make sense for the Unorganized Militia to be under control of the very corrupted people that the Founders had rebelled against...there being no difference between corrupt Englishmen and corrupt American politicians.
    edited November -1
    +1 [;)]

Edit: Don't recall where I posted the comment about the militia, referenced in the Constitution,......not being there for the sole preservation of the "sitting" government,......but also as a protection against an "out of control" leadership.
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    yeah, i posted it already but something made me delete my post. one other paper that's very important to history of the Republic is Thomas Paine's "Common Sense".
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With malice and ill intent our elected Masters are close to making even the process of reproduction fall under Gub'Ment control.

We are done; put a fork in us.
    edited November -1
    I feel this needs to be brought back to the top and rubbed in everyone's face. It seems we all take our freedoms for granted and assume that it will be there forever......that we do not need to maintain, direct or fix it...its just there hanging out everyday.

We all read and hear about gas prices, mexicans, gun laws.....ect, but what do we do about it. We really do nothing but gripe. It is really not bad enough for arms yet. The people are not peed off enough.

I am concerned because the bad issues can be solved now, before it does get to be a really big problem. I am sure we all do not want to be involved when the really big problems come down the pike.

How do we organize as a society to form a bond that will ensure our freedom as The United States of America ? If we don't do something soon it will disappear and it will be all our fault.
    Abort Cuomo
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nyforester

How do we organize as a society to form a bond that will ensure our freedom as The United States of America ? If we don't do something soon it will disappear and it will be all our fault.

NY,
    I know how you feel. The bond at this point seems impossible. The core of our BOND MUST be the constitution and the BOR. IF we can't AGREE wholeheartedly to what they mean, and how a country is to be run, then there are no hopes for the future.
    You know how I feel about issues, however you also know that some people here don't view the second amendment as we do, on a gun site no less .
    It is my firm belief that those anti patriots will refuse to wake up until the time is here for total submission/total disobedience. You can't save those whom don't want saved. To many people live with a false sense of the realities of today. We look at the middle east as a screwed up people in general, and I look at todays America the same way. We are so far from what the founders invisioned for us. Strangely it is the people with money that form what we have,mostly for their own greed. Yet even more strange, WE THE PEOPLE, do nothing, even though WE THE PEOPLE have the power to restore our liberties and rights. America has the attitude of shovel and chew, all the dung the "elites" throw at us. One very large part (the biggest?) is the "me" attitudes. Far too many people think only of their IMMEDIATE household, screw the neigbors right? IF the "me" attitudes CHANGE so does the country.
    Change the "me" state of affairs, and you WILL be on the road to recovery.