In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S.969 "Homeland Security Gun Safety Act of 2003"

flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
All you NRA members out there probabley recieved a mailing concerning this bill, but it is worth repeating here anyway. This is absolutely amazing . .

Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) has just introduced a piece of legislation entitled the "Homeland Security Gun Safety Act of 2003."

Under the two key provisions of this bill, the Second Ammendment would basically be suspended anytime the Department of Homeland Security lists the terrorist threat to our nation as "Code Yellow" or above - a level we have been at continuously since the system was put into effect in early 2002. These provisions would stay into effect until the threat level is reduced to "Green" for at least 180 consecutive days. We haven't reached this level yet for even a single day, and it is doubtful that "Code Green" will be reached anytime in the near future. In any event, if S. 969 is passed, here is what we have to look forward to.

First - The government would be immediately allowed to invoke National Registration for all gun purchases - and keep registration in effect until the terrorist threat is reduced to "Green" for six months or more.

Second - The bill would suspend your right to a speedy background check - the current "72 hour" law would be scrapped. In addition, there would be NO LIMIT concerning when and if background checks must be completed - they could, in fact, be delayed indefinately, bringing all legal sales of firearms nationwide to a halt.

This is an increadible piece of legislation. Frank basically destroys the Second Ammendment with this one, and it could easily be passed in the panic that would follow another major terrorist attack.

Comments

• gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:This is an increadible piece of legislation. Frank basically destroys the Second Ammendment with this one, and it could easily be passed in the panic that would follow another major terrorist attack.

I wouldn't bet on it. Frank Lautenberg is not one of the more persuasive CONgressmen. You'll find that one is quickly shot down by many members, Demonkrats and Republikans alike, that know that voting for this measure will not look good on them when they are up for reelection.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Remember how many seats were lost after AWB passage? Vae victis!
    Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • TexdocTexdoc Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What pi$$e$ me off is that Texas has some ranches the size of Rhode Island and a couple together would cover N.J. How come THEY don't have a senator or two?? [:)]
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    better do as I do and buy all the guns and ammo you can afford while the buying is good.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am right there with you trfox!
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Waaayyy ahead of ya![}:)]

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
    edited November -1
    Texdoc:

Unless Texas wants to divide itself into hundreds of little Rhode Islands and New Jerkeys, the state ONLY gets TWO Senators. The House of Representatives is where representation by population occurs, not the Senate.

I know it is frustrating, but like I said, Lautenberg will fail on this as he has on all the other issues he's tried to pass. They are too transparent, and people see the lies for what they are. Even certain Democrats have seen the this act has nothing to do with Homeland Security or Gun Safety, but what it does have everything to do with is "Will they get reelected for supporting this?" It will die.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunphreak -

and the Supreme Court was going to shoot down McCain-Fiengold as well. It could pass.
  • deer_raiserdeer_raiser Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't look now but they are already doing it. I filled out a form 4473 last november 26th and I'm still on delay, I have bought firearms here in Wisconsin before and never had any problems, I do not have a criminal record of any kind and when I called the NICS hotline they tell me they can't release any information. I was trying to buy a ruger 10-22 and I really don't understand what our government is trying to accomplish.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    deer raiser;
    It is my firm belief that they are arbitrarily picking people out, and delaying the OK to buy any gun. In the hopes that they will give up.

Around these parts, if you do not get an OK within (I think) 3 days, then the dealer can sell you the firearm. Other places may vary, I do not know.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Gunny, here in Colorad, I guess I'm lucky, we get almost instantly approved online with CBI background check. Almost makes me feel guilty that you guys have to wait. What a buncha crap!
    edited November -1
    Flat8:

The difference between Senators and Representatives, and Supreme Court (in)Justices is that the (in)Justices do not need reelected, they are not even actually elected; they are not voted on in the same way Senators and Representatives are, and they are appointed for life. Therefore, they piss off the American People, too damn bad. That's why they can get away with what they can get away with, because the only check on them is Death, and then, they'll just appoint another one similar to the one that got a one way ticket straight to Hell. We are, therefore, no further ahead than we were prior to their bench legislating and edikt writing.

Nothing like a judge who doesn't know the law, but will tell what he/she thinks about the law in question.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    Lautenberg is a traitor to the Republic and our Constitution. There is no question now that he is a part of the UN sponsored and establishment backed movement to slowly dissarm the responsible and partiotic American and install a UN backed global tyrrany.
    Like a frog cooked in water that is slowly being brought to a boil, the frog does not feel it until it is too late.
    It is unfortunate that the average citizen is an ignoramus and cannot see what is plainly in front of their eyes, I guess they would rather watch Oprah or another piece of useless entertainment.

Brian Ostro.
    I am committed to the sovereignty of our great Republic and Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour
    member: NRA, John Birch Society, American Numismatic Association.