In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Get Kids Involved Safely with Guns

bnailonbnailon Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
It worries me that kids across the country are bombarded with anti-gun messages from TV, schools, etc. Firearm education and parental involvement are the keys to deflating this radical, left-wing message.

I am trying to do my part to expose my 3 kids to firearms in the safest and most responsible manner. I have been very successful at it so far and I am very thankful for that. I don't know if there is any secret formula, but this is how I am doing it. I started taking my kids dove hunting locally here in SE Texas with me at age 6-7--and taking them deer hunting and to the range regularly sometime after that. My oldest son (15) just received his early Xmas present last week--870 Express, and my youngest son (14) received another 870 for his birthday in August. Our agreement is that the kids pay half of their gift, so that they have ownership in those firearms. My youngest (10 year old girl) goes dove hunting with us now. She used my old single 20-gauge over the weekend as we sat together and discussed gun safety, hunting ethics, etc. The boys are very mature and resposible--aced the required hunter safety course--and now bow hunt and gun hunt. It's a matter of time before my daughter gets enough experience and maturity to have her first shotgun, too. We have our rules that all firearms are locked up in the safe--that they cannot handle them while I am not present. If they want to look at them, they ask and I ususally oblige unless I am busy soing something else. Their friends at school are hunters and fishermen with similar parental involvement. I cannot explain how proud I feel with my kids taking up the same interests as I have.

Start them early...preach safety and responsibility constantly...teach them about following state and federal hunting regulations...give them ownership in their firearm gifts...and I think most people will be amazed at how their kids will come to appreciate firearms and hunting.

Now...if I can just get them to carry the garbage out..and get mama out there with us....

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After the first sentence, I had a smile on my face, while reading the rest of this story. In my opinion, you are 100% correct in that second sentence. The firearm tradition being handed down from one generation to the next is VERY important to the future of this country. Sounds like you are doing a real good job with your kids. Keep it up.

I wish I could hear this kind of story from more parents.

P.S. It worries me too. [:(]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • rassd71rassd71 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was introduced to firearms by my now late step father. Before that, my mom was a single parent. So when I was 7 we moved in with my step dad. he lived on a farm and had a couple of rifles and a shotgun. He began by explaing how to safely handle a firearm with a toy gun. And then for christmas when I was 8 he gave me a Daisy BB gun. And taught me how to handle it safely. When I showed that I could handle it safely I was allowed to 'have' it. Before that it was only with supervision. The nest fall he showed me his rifles and we went shooting. He let me use a .22 and showed me how to handle it safely. And it was the same thing, once I proved I could handle it safely it was mine, although it was kept with the other rifles.

That's how I intend to teach my girls, only I'm going to start with Paintball instead of BB's. Then, later if they're interested, with a .22... and so on.
  • savage303savage303 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bnailon,

My hats off to you. You have done a great service to keep the tradition alive for the future.

"We have our rules that all firearms are locked up in the safe--that they cannot handle them while I am not present. If they want to look at them, they ask and I ususally oblige unless I am busy soing something else"...

This is excatly the rule of law I have at my home. My 15 year old son is very responsible. This may sound too much, but I taught my son not to point guns including plastic toy one at anybody. Therefore no paint ball guns for him! It is just the way how I feel.

-dk
  • bnailonbnailon Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage303,

Thanks for the kind words. Kudos to you, too with your 15-year old. As you indicated, kids are our future in carrying on the traditions and heritage of firearms and shooting. I guess it's more difficult in certain parts of the country to get kids outdoors. Godd luck with your son. He sounds a lot like mine--can't get enough hunting, fishing, and shooting!
  • Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was born before there were gun safes...grew up with them, got my first one when I was about five. They were always available, but I knew and my brothers (all younger) knew that if we even touched them when Dad or Mom was not around that our little butts would be scorched with a belt when they found out. It was just easier not to touch them...a lesson I learned the hard way.

I still have the Rem. Mod. 11-48 410 Auto Dad gave me for my 14th birthday.

John

A penny saved is a congressional oversight!
  • 3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My eight year old son is coming along very well with his Daisy Red Rider. He shows more safety concern than some of the guys I see at the range. Not to mention, he can recite the second ammendment[:D]. Sure makes a dad proud
  • bnailonbnailon Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 gunner--

That's neat! Makes you feel good doesn't it? Mine started out with BB guns--same way. When they were little, they polished and oiled their BB guns watching me oil and clean my rifles and shotguns--Always pointing them in a safe direction and following the 10 safety commandements.

My 14-year old son took a 6-point buck this morning at 100-yards in a tree stand by himself with a 7mm Mauser--Xmas gift from a couple of years ago. I'll put some photos on GB Discussion in a few days.

Congrats and keep up the good work.