In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

You NRA guys-where are you on 1 gun a month

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
The PA anti gun gang are again going for the "one handgun a month" bill. Due to the recent cop shooting in Philly, they are coming out of the woodwork. Governor Rendell and Philly mayor Nutter had a press conference. At the front of the podium, propped up in a glass display case was an "assault weapon"-dont know what it was exactly, I am not up on "assault weapons", but it looked real mean and scary.
Anyway, Rendell was going off about one handgun a month. He claimed that most people want this, so it really is a no brainer, and should be passed into law. He then said, that EVEN NRA members, approve of this legislation, and claimed that 55% of NRA members approve of such legislation. Is this true? Do a majority of NRA members support legislation that limits hand gun purchases to one a month? I know the NRA supports various gun control measures, but I cant believe they could support this.
What is the NRAs official position with respect to one gun a month type legislation?

Comments

• Mk23Mk23 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds more like a case of apathy.

Most people don't MAKE enough money to purchase more than one (decent) handgun a month, and most of the people that do make enough money don't have the desire to collect that rapidly. So they feel the law doesn't affect them.
  • chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet, in order to get this passed it ends up being a rate of one gun a month over a year rather than one per month and you have to wait. It would put a real damper on gun shows and all. I know that nut case and Rendell are loud and in the paper but the rest of Pennsylvania is a far different demographic.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    they miss the point dont they?
    if you are going to rob someone or kill someone, you only need one gun, what difference does it make if you own 500 guns? you can only physically carry so many at the one time.
    but i suppose thats logical, so the anti gunners wouldnt understand![V]
  • chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dan kelly
    they miss the point dont they?
    if you are going to rob someone or kill someone, you only need one gun, what difference does it make if you own 500 guns? you can only physically carry so many at the one time.
    but i suppose thats logical, so the anti gunners wouldnt understand![V]

Actually Dan their logic is that the guns that are being used by the criminals are coming from straw purchasers. They think that by limiting people to one gun a month it will end the ability of the straw purchasers to meet the demand. It might, then the demand will be filled another way. Nobody wants to step up to the plate and look at why there is a demand and address that.
  • woodmaster9woodmaster9 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked at the nra site- I didn't find anything about PA and one gun a month... but the NRA is against such legislation. Here is an excerpt from the NRA site concerning MA.

One-Gun-A-Month Bill Filed in Massachusetts!

Friday, May 04, 2007

House Bill 3991, "An Act to Reduce Gun Violence," filed by Governor Deval Patrick (D) is still sitting in the Judiciary Committee. H 3991, previously numbered H 3978, would limit law-abiding Massachusetts gun buyers from purchasing more than firearm in a month's time.

Please contact the Judiciary Committee members today and respectfully urge them to oppose H 3991 and any other proposal that limits the rights of lawful gun owners. Also, please contact Governor Patrick at (617) 725-4005 and politely ask him to withdraw this anti-gun legislation. Be sure to let your legislators know that the best way to reduce gun violence in Massachusetts is not to create new laws, but to enforce the laws against violent criminals that are already on the books.
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    I'm complying with the one a month idea ... I've bought one AR15/M4 rifle a month since November and I will continue to accessorize each one as I continue building the supply. In my house, where there's a supply, there will most certainly be a demand ... one day! We pray that our country will turn around on its own and see the light, but we should also expect the worse if it doesn't.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1 gun a month should be a goal, not a restriction.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunphreak
    1 gun a month should be a goal, not a restriction.

AMEN!
  • MemphisJim1MemphisJim1 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's an old adage but one liberal politicians never seem to learn: When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Charlton Heston was right: You want my gun? Pry it out of my cold, dead, stiff hands.
  • Old IronsightsOld Ironsights Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MemphisJim1
    It's an old adage but one liberal politicians never seem to learn: When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Charlton Heston was right: You want my gun? Pry it out of my cold, dead, stiff hands.
    When guns are outlawed... I'll just make more.

http://www.thehomegunsmith.com/index.shtml

bsp-1.jpg
    bsp-image2-small.jpg

"There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation; that's one firearm for every twelve people. The only question is; how do I arm the other eleven?"