In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What right do I have

marek13marek13 Member Posts: 209 ✭✭✭
Hello everyone. I have a question about gun laws (federal and particularly New Jersey) I recently bought a handgun and last week got pulled over while coming back from a range. I had my gun in a case on back seat. The policeman was a
Now do I have right to transport a firearm if I do not have a carry permit?
Another scenario lets say I was being mugged and had a gun in a car (in case) can I use it to defend my self and not get in trouble (I don't have a carry permit)
Please share your opinion

Comments

• lead lobberlead lobber Member Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what did the cop say? Did he charge you?
  • marek13marek13 Member Posts: 209 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He told me that I was carrying a weapon with out carry permit. He had confiscated it and told me that it will be hold until verification. I got clear record so he let me go but besides that I don't know. He gave me a report number and stated that one of the detectives will contact me and that I should wait for the call.
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Carrying" means "carrying on your person". If the weapon was cased and not available to be used by anyone in the car, you were "transporting", not "carrying". How did he know it was a firearm? Could he see through the case? Was ammo in it? Was ammo stored seperately? Was there a trigger or cable lock? Best to transport your weapon in the trunk.

As for self-defense, be careful there, too. If someone is in immedate danger of loss of life, then yes, you have the right to use deadly force in self-defense or that of others. Be warned, you will have to face hard questions as to why you had a gun in such a circumstance. But it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Self-defense in public is subject to much greater scrutiny than that in the home.
    edited November -1
    What are the rules in NJ- I know you need a firearms purchase card-Can you buy pistols with that? Do you need a pistol license?
    edited November -1
    The rules in NJ are nuts. You need a separate permit to purchase a handgun and you can only own a one handgun (at least that?s what my police station told me). In NJ we are obligated by a federal laws +local laws, which means state +local ordinance. So in that case different town has some different laws.
    As for the gun;
    It wasn?t locked it had a half a clip but the clip wan out of the gun and it was lying it the case besides the weapon. The reason he stopped me was because my car got stolen last year and for some reason my plates list Stare records still as stolen even thou I called them and cleared the case up. He saw it because my case was one of these numb cases with a handgun picture sticker on it (I should remove it my mistake)
    edited November -1
    ok so you have a pistol permit with this gun on it? And with the permit what rules are there with how you need to transport it?
    edited November -1
    The law states that I need to transport the weapon in lockable case with the ammo placed separately. I had done so but the cop was a d---. He stated that I had an easy access to the gun and that it should be in the trunk of the car. But nowhere in my permit says where should the gun be transported
    edited November -1
    did you call who ever has your gun and tell them you want it back- there is a form or someting and some one who will look in to it. Be nice to them and state that you were transporting it the way your permit requires.
    edited November -1
    I have a apointment with detective on Monday see how it goes
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were you, I'd call a damn good attorney and nail that cop to the wall. What he did is a breech of position, and he definitely acted out of line, but I would expect no less in the Kommonwealth of New Jerky

Death to Tyrants!!!

Jesus Christ believed in the right to keep and bear arms, Luke 22:36.

-Gunphreak
  • mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very often, police are a law unto themselves--they think they know what they are doing.

In terms of transporting a gun, anything visible is often perceived as a potential problem to police. They are concerned about getting shot. It's not you, or the cop or the law. Just the reality of law enforcement even if it doesn't mesh with reality. The cop doesn't know you from Adam so he doesn't know you are a law-abiding and responsible gun owner.

Out of sight is out of mind. Transport your guns in the trunk so there is no issue.

I've had my share of dumb cop experiences so I do empathize. Don't let it get to you. Most cops know and do the right thing. But they aren't omniscient, so they might overreact to a perceived threat.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
    edited November -1
    Though it is true cops are there to serve and protect, apparently, they seem to want to protect us from ourselves more often than from other people, and will resort to the most underhanded and dirty tactics to make it so. The cop listed above is one such person, I have no doubt of that.

He played on your ignorance, and stepped out of line. Bottom line.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • carl1124carl1124 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what is the out come??
    edited November -1
    Hurray for our side!!!!!

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • swnoelswnoel Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just wondering if your a member of the NRA???

When we lose our rights to have guns, we will soon be enslaved.

History repeats itself...

The New World Order is knocking at our door... ever heard that term???

Do you believe this Goverment has done horrible thing to its own citizens to suite political agandas??

The terror attack on the World Trade Center wasn't by accident... it was a calculated plan to impose restrictive legislation on the citizens of this country... many people bought it hook, line, and sinker.

The kind where DUE PROCESS is thrown out the door, where using the pretext that terror is suspected...you then have NO rights!!!

Don't laugh, you could be next...

Check this site out with an open mind.

http://www.infowars.com/resources.html