In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Transfer of registration?

rajjinrajjin Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
Greetings to all,

I am new to the forums here. I decided to join it after reading some well phrased and smart postings by the different members. A little background to my situation is that I am recently out of the military and back home in california.

Here is my question as it were. I legally purchased different firearms out of state. Do I need to go in and register all the things I have collected over 4 years of bouncing around the country? Should I risk finding out that I now have to pay additional fees and possible penalties? For all I know, I will be slapped with charges and have my firarms confiscated. I dont want to be hamstringed if I try for a CCW and my weapon isn't state registerd. Any input is welcome. Its something of a delema I have been chewing over for a while and figured outside input would help.

Comments

• tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I don't know about where you live, but here in Johnson County Kansas there is no law requiring gun owners to register their guns. Nor is there even anyplace for them to be registered.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    California has a VERY long list of weapons that have been banned in that state. I believe that every weapon in the state has to be registered. You stand a very good chance of loosing some (or all) depending on what you have. As for being charged for possession, I would not put it passed them, but I don't know. Mark Christian (a member of GB discussion boards) is a resident of California (and a firearms dealer) and is very knowledgeable about their laws. I would suggest contacting him with these questions. If you "search" the "Experts Forum" he has answered quite a few questions like this in the past.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest moving to Nevada or Idaho.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    California has a VERY long list of weapons that have been banned in that state. I believe that every weapon in the state has to be registered. You stand a very good chance of loosing some (or all) depending on what you have. As for being charged for possession, I would not put it passed them, but I don't know. Mark Christian (a member of GB discussion boards) is a resident of California (and a firearms dealer) and is very knowledgeable about their laws. I would suggest contacting him with these questions. If you "search" the "Experts Forum" he has answered quite a few questions like this in the past.

California only registers handguns and so called "assault weapons". Rifles and shotguns are not registered unless done so voluntarily.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a former Kalifornia resident as of about 30 days ago.

As I understand, all handguns must be registered with the California DOJ within 30 days of entering the state. All handguns brought into the state must be on the DOJ certified handgun list. No "assault rifles" may be brought into the state. California has a more restrictive definition of "assault rifle" than most places, so check the California DOJ website fore the specifics.

Unless you want to lose your guns, I suggest you not register and keep any illegal guns in California. There are some arms storage places on the Nevada border that you can use to keep your firearms legally in Nevada.

Welcome to the forums.

-WW

"...That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state."

-The Debates in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Virginia, on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution. June 27, 1788.
  • rajjinrajjin Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well thank you for the different replies. I had a feeling it was kind of a lost cause, but I had some hope that I would get the magic fix-all answer. The really sad part is that if they actually tried to enforce the gun laws in this state "ca" they would have to double the number of prisons. This turns honest gun owners into criminals because of cosmetic features on a firearm. What a joke.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EOD,
    Thanks for the info.
    Thought it applied to all of them.
    Glad to hear it does not.