In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Indiana re: machine guns

offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
I talked to the only Class III stocking dealer in town (or so he claims) yesterday, and he tells me that not only may I buy a machine gun or submachine gun in this state, but I may buy a silencer for it as well. Frankly, I wasn't clear until now about the silencer.

That's great, because if someone goes to the expense of a submachine gun for defense against home invasions and such, you could ruin your hearing firing full auto in the house. Not that that would be your major concern at such a moment, but I've never really understood why a quieter gun should automatically be an illegal engineering advance anyway. Guns hurt people's hearing, without ear plugs. This is not good, fair, just, or necessary. Quieter guns, up to a point, at least, should not be illegal. Perhaps someone can find a way to do it without the accessory known as a silencer, some day.

By the way, switchblades, stilettos, and throwing stars are illegal here. But you may carry any length knife blade you desire -- Rambo, tanto, big folder, or sword, though it is recommended you carry large knives concealed as well. This, too, was a recent discovery. I had always heard the typical stuff about "under X inches." Not so, say the LEOs...

Someday -- the Uzi with silencer, or the Mac-10/9 with silencer if money is too tight. Meanwhile, a good shotgun is no small potatos. And frankly, the stream of pellets lasts longer with a shotgun, unless your sub gun has burst capability.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

lifepatch.giffortbutton2.gif

Comments

• Options
    mburnickasmburnickas Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is correct! You can buy anything you want with the SOT stamp!

Thanks
    Mike
    FFL
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't buy "anything" for example you can't register machine guns made after May 19, 1986. Do a search on gunbroker. The ones that can be privately owned cost many thousands of dollars (because you are limited to buying ones before the 1986 ban hit).

If you wanted to get a new machine gun, you would have to have your own small business selling guns to cops. To transfer one from another dealer, you'd need a police letter, along with the number of the gun type to be sold.

So the best way to get a "new model" machinegun (MP-7, anybody?) would be to get a manufacturer's license ($1000 a year), buy a semiautomatic variant, and convert it yourself (if you wanted to buy it as a full auto, you'd need a police "request for demonstration" letter).

This law sucks. Let's change it!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In HIS state any permited person can legally buy ANY weapon ( Machineguns, Silencers, SBR, SBS, AOW & DD).

So before or after 1986 is still a machine gun [:D]. So he can buy ANYTHING he wants as long as the state permits it. Also I do not even think 90% of the class 3 dealers out there even HAVE new machine guns. Not worth the time, effort and $$$$ since 98% of people can't get them anyways.

Also if you have a manufacture license you can do what you want within the limits of the ATF. I also think the price is reduced to $500 per year if under $50K income per year. The down side is that when the license is over so is the machine gun!

Oh, the word silencer is evil [}:)]. Use Suppressor if you ever talk to the ATF or LEO. The "tend" to not freak out with that word as much.

An Uzi or MP-5 is nice with a suppressor (at least -40 db).

Thanks
    Mike
    FFL
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was my understanding that the federal antigun law could not be superceded by a state law. Is there any state where I can legally own a post-86 auto?
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    offeror: You have a great and true point about thinking guns should be quietor. I don't know why all guns couldn't have a type of "silencer" that would muffle the sound to that of a .22 cal pistol without being illegal. My family and I were in the Colo. mountains a year or so ago at a small, rustic resort area and there were many other people there also. The enviorment was great, peacable, pretty, etc. But then someone a mile or so away started shooting to apparently zero in their rifle in order to go hunting. The sound echoed and travelled throughout the entire resort. Even though I am pro-gun I couldn't help but wish there was some way to have avoided aall that noise. There has got to be a better way.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dsmith
    It was my understanding that the federal antigun law could not be superceded by a state law. Is there any state where I can legally own a post-86 auto?

Sure..you will need a LEO letter and Class 3 or 7 manufacture permit. The laws DO work just need to know what you need. It is not cheap. All it is, is record keeping to know who has what.

The only thing I have come across is, as an FFL-Class 3, is LACK of funds. Too many guns so little time! [:D][:D][:D]

Again I have shot a Suppressor at -20 DB and it is nice but the -40 DB is better!

Thanks
    Mike
    FFL