In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Paper slams bill lowering hunting age (MI)

BarbaraBarbara Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
http://www.record-eagle.com/2004/oct/100604.htm

quote:Tabor is standing tall for pre-teen gun rights

Kudos to state Rep. Susan Tabor and the National Rifle Association.
Fresh from victory in their righteous quest to put Michigan's dastardly mourning doves in the line of fire, Tabor and the gun manufacturers' lobby are turning the crosshairs to another target, another potential market: Kids.
Tabor, R-NRA, thinks it's a grand idea to put rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, assault weapons - you name it - in the hands of kids as young as 11 and shoo them camouflage-clad into the woods. Once there, they'd ostensibly bag big game like bear, deer and elk to feed their family and carry on "our hunting heritage."

Making Michigan SAFR: www.firearmsalliance.org

Comments

• riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Difficult to know wether to laugh or cry over such as this.

The Anti-gunners are absolutely right,you know...without taking young people out into the hunting woods..the spirit of hunting dies.

Take hunting out of the picture..what for do you need guns ? After all..most people..(so called Pro-Gunners included) have bought off on the "Sporting Use" bullsheet...never,NEVER do they want to discuss the Second Amendment...The ONLY REAL,and ABSOLUTE REASON to own guns..to resist tyranny.All the other reasons are minor...the tyranny can be the perp crawling into you window..or a Government determined to kick in your door...
  • MuffinmanMuffinman Member Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was 10 years old when I got my first Rifle\Shot gun. It was a .410\.22 over under. I had to take it apart, Refinish it and stain the stock and it was mine, All Mine, Mine as daffy duck would say[:D]

I learned like most from my Dad the Do's and Dont's. Never shot what you can't eat, Always know your target, and keep it pointed down till you ready to shot! Of course that was a different time. Now most kids see there first rifle in the Military, Which cause's the DI to work twice as hard just teaching basic shoting skills.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I was in the 6th or 7th grade when my mother and step-father got me a 12 gauge bolt action shotgun and a 50 pound fiber-glass bow with steel broadhead hunting arrows. My friends all had similar bows and arrows but not the gun yet. We carried our "toys" through our neighborhood all the time, and never with any adults around, in route to the nearby N.J. farm where we could shoot. No body ever complained, felt threatened or got hurt.

Almost forgot. Same parents bought me a bb rifle and pistol when we lived in a small KS town and I was in the 3rd or 4th grade. Same story. No adult supervision, no one felt threatend and no one ever got hurt. Although I have to admit I regret the numerous birds I killed that probably would have preferred remaining alive. In that respect I could have used some adult supervision to have taught me about wanton and unnecessary killing of innocent living creatures. But way back then most adults and kids just though of animals as moving objects (except for their own pets).

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • MuffinmanMuffinman Member Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot a few birds with my Daisy red Ryder too. I can still see them in my mind. I think this taught us how final death is from a weapon and theres no going back. I would say there death did not go without lessons learned.

Now for all those bottles worth 5 cents that never made it back to the store we thank you!

let the BB gun wars start. The rules are no shoting above the waist, Except the arms there fare game. If your hit your out. You can leave the woods from here to here. No charging to close range. That's it, Lets pick teams and get started.
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    The Legal hunting age in Maine is 11,always has been....I think....well at any rate I got my 20 ga. single when I was 10...still got it here ...A fellow trapper up the road gives a free trap to trpping kids...tryin to keep em involved.Makes good sense to me.Allready my 5 year old granson wants to hunt and trap and fish like puppa.......allready bought him camo clothes...Keep the tradition alive!
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barbara
    Once there, they'd ostensibly bag big game like bear, deer and elk to feed their family and carry on "our hunting heritage
    And who among us thinks this is a bad thing?
    I sure don't.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • jaflowersjaflowers Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I myself grew up split between the country and city. My grandpa taught me to shoot when I was three and I've loved it ever since. It's brought me closer to my family and heritage through the years and I will be passing it down to my children one day. Shooting at a young age, unsupervised, was a normal part of growing up in the country. Now all the anti-gun, liberal folks want to make us conform to their ways of life and condem ours. Too bad they don't respect our heritage as much as the hoards of minorities that we as Americans are forced to accept.
  • rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since when is there an age limit on hunting? My grandpa had me shooting .22's when I was 4 and going squirrel hunting with him by 5 or6. First I've heard about it.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    They don't want kids to start liking firearms at an early age. Thats stupid anyway you look at it. You can bet that one day when I have some kids they'll be learing all about guns, huntin, and fishin. If they wan't to come over and tell me I'm wrong.......... I say bring em' on![}:)][:(!][}:)][:(!][}:)]

crappers.gif
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What the hell is this crap?!!?

This smells of rotten psychobabble, and without any doubt, has no logic (of course).

I have a 4 year old daughter. She already has a gun that is similar to an AR-15. Obviously, she can't use it, yet, but one day.....

....and she is a chip off the old block, too. It won't be long, and her training in firearms will begin. Right now, the only two reasons it hasn't happened yet is because her physical strength and attention span. She is small, and growing up fast.

And despite their heckles, our children will carry our torch, so in that time, fight for their rights as if their life depends on it... because it does.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."