In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just got into shooting - PA

Ryan88Ryan88 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
I went to the shooting range for my first time with my uncle and my two little cousins; it was realy fun! I was shooting a little .22 cal 6 shot revolver.

Question:

I searched all over the net and got mixed answers.
For Pennsylvania;
Can you buy a hand gun at 18?

I'm getting mixed answers, some say 18, some say 21. I know for sure you have to be 21 to conseal a hand gun, but I only want a little .22 for the shooting range.

Thanks in adavance!

Comments

• big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ineligible Persons

The following classes of people are ineligible to possess, receive, ship, or transport firearms or ammunition:

Those convicted of crimes punishable by imprisonment for over one year, except state misdemeanors punishable by two years or less.
    Fugitives from justice.
    Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs.
    Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution.
    Illegal aliens.
    Citizens who have renounced their citizenship.
    Those persons dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
    Persons less than 18 years of age for the purchase of a shotgun or rifle.
    Persons less than 21 years of age for the purchase of a firearm that is other than a shotgun or rifle.
    Persons subject to a court order that restrains such persons from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner.
    Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    big mango,
    There are states that a person under 21 can buy and own a firearm.

Ryan88
    Federal law prohibits you from purchasing a handgun from a dealer until you are 21, but in some states, you are allowed to purchase and posses a handgun at 18 years of age, if bought from a private party. You not only need to look up your state laws, but city and county as well, as some can be more restrictive than state law.

Every state, city, and county has their laws online.
    Find the "official" site for your area, and do some reading.
  • Ryan88Ryan88 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info.

I bought a little .22 cal semi-auto rifle today. It's a Mossberg.

I can't wait to shoot it. [:D]
  • bnailonbnailon Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ryan88,

Welcome to the forum. Safe and responsible shooting and hunting is one of the best activities that families can enjoy. Glad that you and your cousins are enjoying the experience.

Never take safety for granted and teach your young cousins responsible firearms behavior and you will enjoy many years of good times.
    edited November -1
    GOOD ADVICE AND GOOD POST
    edited November -1
    pickenup

Ineligible Persons

FEDS LAW , STATES DO AS THEY WISH I GUESS --

The following classes of people are ineligible to possess, receive, ship, or transport firearms or ammunition:

Persons less than 21 years of age for the purchase of a firearm

THAT IS OTHER THAN A SHOTGUN OR RIFLE.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    big mango,

Giving people INCOMPLETE (or wrong) information is NOT a good idea, when it comes to firearm laws.
    Please refrain from doing so.

And, typing in BIG RED letters will be edited.

Here is a quote from the BATF website.
    Notice where they say "Yes" that even a person UNDER 18 years of age CAN possess handguns? (with limitations)

quote:[18 U.S.C. 921, 922(b)(3), (d) and (g), 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.99(a)

(B14) May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)?

Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.
    Here is another quote from the BATF website.
    Notice where the BATF recognizes that some states have LOWER age limits? (which IS LEGAL)
    Also notice where it say that "dealers" are bound by the minimum age requirements?
    This does NOT refer to PRIVATE sales to persons between 18 and 21, which IS LEGAL in some states.
    In your own statement it says, "Persons less than 21 years of age for the purchase of"
    which is in regards to BUYING FROM a federally licensed firearms dealer.

quote:(F6) Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee? [Back]

Yes. Under the GCA, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA.

Just for your edification, here is the LAW in my state, Colorado.
    (not to be taken as the law in ANY other state)
    The LAW here CLEARLY allows ANY person over 18 years of age to POSSESS a HANDGUN.
    Further, it specifies the limitations for possession of handguns for people UNDER 18 years of age.
    quote:18-12-108.5. Possession of handguns by juveniles - prohibited - exceptions - penalty.
    Statute text

(1) (a) Except as provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of eighteen years knowingly to have any handgun in such person's possession.
    quote:(d) Any person under the age of eighteen years who is taken into custody by a law enforcement officer for an offense pursuant to this section shall be taken into temporary custody in the manner described in section 19-2-508, C.R.S.

(2) This section shall not apply to:

(a) Any person under the age of eighteen years who is:

(I) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course; or

(II) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited; or

(III) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under 501 (c) (3) as determined by the federal internal revenue service which uses firearms as a part of such performance; or

(IV) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to such person pursuant to article 4 of title 33, C.R.S.; or

(V) Traveling with any handgun in such person's possession being unloaded to or from any activity described in subparagraph (I), (II), (III), or (IV) of this paragraph (a);

(b) Any person under the age of eighteen years who is on real property under the control of such person's parent, legal guardian, or grandparent and who has the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian to possess a handgun;

(c) Any person under the age of eighteen years who is at such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses a handgun for the purpose of exercising the rights contained in section 18-1-704 or section 18-1-704.5.
    edited November -1
    THANKS MOD FOR THE VERY THROUGH COVERING OF THE SUBJECT, GLAD TO SEE YOU HAVE COVERED ALMOST ALL THE BASES.

BE SURE AND CHARGE THE LAD FOR YOUR EXTENSIVE RESEARCH.

PERSONALLY , I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH HIM OWNING A FIRE ARM.

WE WILL CONTINUE THIS ON ANOTHER TOPIC
    edited November -1
    THIS SITE IS NOT THE LAW REGARDING THIS SUBJECT.

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM TELLING ME HOW TO TYPE AS THIS IS NOT AGAINST THE RULES @ GB , THAT I'M AWARE OF. IF SO, SHOW ME WHERE.

THANKS FOR THE INFO. REGARDING THIS SUBJECT , I'M SURE ALL WHOM READ IT WILL BE SHOWN THE LIGHT. ( HALO FLOATING OVERHEAD )

I'M SURE THE LAD WILL HAVE FUN WITH HIS SHOOTING PURSUITS.

NOW CAN WE GET BACK TO .........................