In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ATF CHECKING ON SALES?????

44mag44mag Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
I just had a visit with a friend who, in the past had purchased two 22-250 rifles in a week time period. Yesterday he received a letter from the ATF wanting to know why he purchased two rifles in a week. I am not saying what he told them but it wasn`t very nice. My question to you is; Is the ATF snooping on their own or is the president thing starting his gun control adgenda or, what is going on that I don`t know about?????? I did not personaly see the letter but have no reason to doubt what he told me.

Comments

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Troubling.

Is your friend near the southern border?

Either way, the proper answer is 'None of your business'.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • 44mag44mag Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope, we live in the middle of the Nation. I would bet he didn`t let them off that easy.
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    might want to check on that letter, atf doesnt send out letters to individuals much.

how did the atf even know what he bought where rifles,not shotguns?

sounds a little suspicious.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootuadeal
    sounds a little suspicious
    Bingo
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootuadeal
    might want to check on that letter, atf doesnt send out letters to individuals much.

how did the atf even know what he bought where rifles,not shotguns?

sounds a little suspicious.

Great point.

A call to the seller seems to be in order.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • 44mag44mag Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also questioned how the ATF found out about the purchases. They were bought in two different stores. There was no mention as to the type of guns purchased. Do you suppose the ATF is logging all background checks into a computer and if more than one name shows up in a certain time period a flag pops up? If so, that is illegal. Of course, with obama in office who knows what can or will happen.
    Wished I had seen the letter before it was tossed in the trash. I could be getting my leg pulled but, don`t think so. My friend is a very reliable person. Maybe, someone else is doing some leg pulling. The whole thing is very strange.
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Was the NICS check done online?
    Dunno if this is still true,or ever was, but when the online option was first offered it was reputed that all information belonged to Homeland Security. Never heard anything else about it though.

Allen
  • james3parisjames3paris Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "cash for clunkers" requires a sign-on to a federal site. Originlly, the goverment stated that if you use this program, you computer becomes apart of the federal network. Now, they took it off the registration process. Simply, they claimed full access to your computer. I doubt that they stopped the process of claiming their right to car dealers computer.

I wonder, if gun dealer sites are being monitored in the same way.

Something to think about...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by james3paris
    "cash for clunkers" requires a sign-on to a federal site. Originlly, the goverment stated that if you use this program, you computer becomes apart of the federal network. Now, they took it off the registration process. Simply, they claimed full access to your computer. I doubt that they stopped the process of claiming their right to car dealers computer.

I wonder, if gun dealer sites are being monitored in the same way.

Something to think about...

every year at the acusport show the have a seminar from their lawyer who specializes only in defending the firearm industry. he said using the atf's online nics check was like having the irs do your taxes.
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    I bought a collection of S&W revolvers from a dealer over 20 years ago .
    Dealer had to run the paperwork 1 per day .
    Each one had a 3 day wait ---took a couple of weeks to get them all .[:(!]
    Said that if he ran them all at once that I would get a visit .
    Probably has to do with their "fear" of straw purchases .
  • legend602legend602 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was applying for my FFL, I was told by the ATF investigator that if any person purchases more than 1 gun (Can't remember if it only pertained to handguns, or any guns) in 7 days that I was required to fill out a form and submit it directly to the ATF that had the individuals name, address, gun models, serial numbers, etc. I was required to submit it in under 48hours.

I know the OP said it was purchased from two different stores, but if they were the same company then perhaps they stored it in a central database?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legend602
    When I was applying for my FFL, I was told by the ATF investigator that if any person purchases more than 1 gun (Can't remember if it only pertained to handguns, or any guns) in 7 days that I was required to fill out a form and submit it directly to the ATF that had the individuals name, address, gun models, serial numbers, etc. I was required to submit it in under 48hours.

I know the OP said it was purchased from two different stores, but if they were the same company then perhaps they stored it in a central database?

you might want to brush up on your knowledge(you were mostly right)

it is actually five business days and only pertains to handguns, then you have to fill out the most worthless of all government forms, the multiple handgun purchase form, which must be faxed into the atf be the end of the business day.

for example, a guy comes into buy two single action colt revolvers to participate in cowboy action shooting, ffl must fill out the form and turn him into the atf for buying two evil handguns. second guy comes in and buys 9 ars and 5 ak47s, no extra paperwork needed. sounds reasonable right(i suppose an atf agent wouldnt see the logic my way and would change the law to ANY 2 firearms instead of seeing the ridiculousness of the multiple handgun purchasing requirements)
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've bought 2 handguns at the same time and have never heard of or seen the multipal firearm paper you speak of. The dealer is a friend and would have told me if this was something he had to do.
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    I've bought 2 handguns at the same time and have never heard of or seen the multipal firearm paper you speak of. The dealer is a friend and would have told me if this was something he had to do.

Required by law (draconic), your signature and/or knowledge is not required.

Lance