In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Public Schools.

StealthStealth Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
I wanted to comment on the public school system.
I am in my late 20s and I have 2 kids, 3mo and 3 years old. I have a great wife that I am very happy with. I consider my self as a fairly simple man who cares deeply for my gun rights, private property rights, and free speech.
I am not a highly educated person and I cant word things as well as most of you can but I am going to do my best to say what I am thinking.
I grew up in a small farm town in Utah with a population of only 1800 people.
The High school I went to was 7th to12th grade with a total of 350 kids.
I can remember that in 8th grade students were allowed to bring rifles to shop class to refinish or build new stocks for them and it was not uncommon to see a student packing his or her gun through the halls to shop class.
I was not bothered by this and I never knew or herd complaints from other students about being scared or intimidated by this .
Some ware around 11th grade we were only allowed to bring the rifle stock to shop class
And the school had a new policy about us having guns hanging in the rear windows of our vehicles on school property but my younger brother was still allowed to have a pistol in the school play as long as the barrel was filled with wax.
History class, this teacher was the kind who would say something like( Read chapter26,do the quiz at the end and their will be a test on the quiz on Thursday) then he would leave or read a book.
I can give you a book and I can give you a quiz, you skim through the book for the quiz answers then all you need to do is remember those answers for Thursdays test.
The student gets fair to good grades on his report card witch makes parents and the state happy and he or she never really learned or absorbed the importance of history.
After graduation I could not have told you the difference between the revolutionary and the civil wars or could I have told you what they were about accept slavery.
Some people might be greatly concerned about the murder rate at the school with all the evil guns around but their was never a killing or incident involving guns the whole time I was in school.
Two years after I graduated, my younger nephew got expelled for three days from school for bringing a Midway catalog to school. The principal told his mother that gun books or magazines with guns were not allowed in the school any more and that they no longer allowed this kind of text on the schools property.
When I read this post from Flat8
"When an opponent declares, `I will not come over to your side,` I calmly say: `Your child belongs to us already . . . What are you? You will pass on. Your descendents, however, now stand in this new camp. In a short time, they will know nothing else but this new community.`" ~ Adolph Hitler, 1933.
I thought WOW this is our modern school systems belief.
I say if you never teach your kid to drive a car because they have killed more people than all the wars and shootings since America was founded and keep him or her shielded from all the text and teachings on how to run and operate a vehicle when they finally decide to try it they will most likely have disastrous results.
This applies to teaching our kids about guns also, if you hide it from them it you are only hurting them.
All Schools should have a hunter safety class offered, A lot like a drivers ed class!
We need to teach our kids about guns and the consequences of misused weapons.
Just my thoughts.[:)]

Raptor

Comments

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Stealth;
    Congratulations.
    You have just put your finger on the main method used by the Elites to destroy the American dream.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stealth,
    First off.welcome to the forum.

Kind of like Highball said, brainwashing our children IS their "long term" solution to gun control. (people control) The sad part is, that the brainwashing is working.

As the older generations die off, the following generations will know no other way, than how they were "taught" while they were growing up. You are absolutely right about children needing to be taught about guns, and from the sounds of it, yours will be. [:D]

Consider that one "used" to be able to take a rifle TO school, because after school they would go hunting. Now they can not even take "literature" about firearms to school, without the threat of being expelled. [:(!][:(!][:(!]

You say you value "private property rights" also. Take a little look to see what the governments are doing with "eminent domain" lately. They are taking property for the "personal gain" of big business. Free speech? Try to campaign for a candidate 30 days before a primary or 60 days prior to a general election. This is a hotly contested free speech issue right now. There are other examples, these are just off the top of my head.

Stick around, you may find other things that are happening, that might catch your interest.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a sad state of affairs, no doubt. About free speech, I read this on keepandbeararms.com: (paraphrased) Your right to own and carry a Bible is protected by the first amendment. Your right to own and carry a gun is protected by the second. You can't consider your right to free speech to be safe from anybody who would deny you your right to protect yourself.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We should all know by now that books have fueled the tyrant's fires for as long as books have existed.

Here's an interesting idea that is already in process:

Keep the kids illiterate, that way, who cares how many books are available if no one can read them...

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.

"Mirror Mirror on the wall. Who's the ugliest one of all?"

-Janet Reno, the Butcher of Waco.
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunphreak, wasn't it Jesse Jackson who accused G.W. Bush of being "unliterate?"
    edited November -1
    That's pretty funny, considering that Jesse Jackson is a black hater. You don't believe me? Why does he have the same stance on disarming blacks as the KKK???
  • StealthStealth Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys know a lot more about History than I do so I am learning all kinds of new things reading your post.
    Thank you.[:)]
  • ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is in a sad, sad state of affairs that we find our children. They are not in an educational system anymore, no, they are in brainwashing and dumbing down class. Ask your kid (those who have kids in High School to name three founding fathers and their contribution to the Bill of Rights. Too hard? OK, ask them to name the first two enumerated in the Bill of Rights. Half will get the first one almost right, 20 % will even know we have a right to bear arms and not one of them will believe that it is legal in most of the country to own a machine gun. As a matter of fact I'll bet that less that 25% even know what the differences are between a shotgun and a rifle or a revolver and a 1911. This is truly an unbelievable time in our history, for the first time ever we are trying to keep historical information from our students and essentially creating automatons. I say "we" because I am still an American and until the flag comes down, we are all responsible for each and every child that comes through the educational system. MEN, you need to take back the wheel, pull up your britches and tell the women to shut the hell up that they are ruining our beloved country. Who do you think is pulling all of these strings? Your wives that's who. (I use the word "your" figuratively). They honestly believe that by sheltering our children instead of educating them is going to somehow protect them. The mother that won't allow her son to play football or even speak of gun ownership is the problem, hard to believe that the most powerful nation on the planet throughout history is being brought to it's knees by a bunch of girls.
  • KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Comengitit is correct. It is our responsibilty to educate our children. It is A sad state that our so called educational system is in. My 4 year old knows more about gun operation, and safety than my 18 year old cousin from yankee town. One thing for certain, if we stand back, and let our goverment educate our children, in their adult life they will not know freedom. I have read the post of many here saying, to take A kid shooting. This is very important. I would also say take A woman shooting, and teach them. Maybe we can change A few of their minds.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, my wife and I are seriously considering home schooling if/when we have children. It is sad to think that we could give them a more impartial education than the public school system.

-Wolf
    edited November -1
    Wounded Wolf
    I was schooled at home before 7th grade,I was up to date in Reading,Math and Science but when it came to English , History,Computer, I was behind.
    I had a tough time starting school because of my social skills.
    I was not use to the rude behavior of kids because I was use to a family enviroment ware we all helped each other and learned how to work hard with dad on the farm .
    I could do real world things involving work like, Drive,operate a backhoe,tractor help with all the livestock and had daily chores by the age of 8.
    When I got in school I was barly passing and I think it had more to do with my social skills than not knowing the books because I had been protected from the real world.
    My mom and dad always had problems with the State or some Good person Fighting to force us into school and I think you will find this same problem.
    Now that I am growen up I can say that I use more of what my parents taught me,In this working world than what the school system ever did.
    It is a tough job and hard on parents but I wouldnt trade it.
  • tysonagreentysonagreen Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think homeschooling is a good idea. All the homeschool students have very poor social skills that make them awkward in social situations. I'm still quite a few years from having to worry about my kids educations, since I don't have any and am not married, but I think with the direction public schools are going I will have to send my kids to private school.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess the question is whether you want your kids to be socially adept communists or socially awkward sensible folk?
    edited November -1
    I guess the question is whether you want your kids to be socially adept communists or socially awkward sensible folk?
    Very well put Wolf.
    edited November -1
    Stossel did a 20/20 expose' of public schools Friday night.

Appears that any parent that loves and wishes what is best for their child....will RUN to jerk that child out of public schools..exactly what some of us have been saying for 20 years.

As mentioned above..you want a intelligent child..or one conditioned to smoke weed and love the government ?
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, my wife and I have been involved with helping raise a grandaughter (daughter is a widow). She started preschool reading, writing, and doing simple math. She is now in the public school system- gifted program. HOWEVER- we still participate in her education. Fitting hobby for grouchy old man is the assembly of a small, skeptical, semi-anarchist with freckles. Yup- she can probably tell you more about the structure of STATE and Federal goverment than a Poly Sci intern. Likes 22's and 410s. Likes fishing. Understands there are trolls in this world, and if Little Red Riding Hood's Granny had a 357 snubby, the wolf would not have eaten her. Understands that goverment does not create wealth- people working and applying effort create wealth. In short, we are attempting to SUPPLEMENT her public schooling with home schooling. And yeah, she asks WHY a lot! But if you totally surrender your kids to the trolls, don't be surprised if you are unhappy with the results. As far as social skills- the kid is nobody's fool, but should be able to communicate well with the typical pure public school grad that will be working for her.[:p]
    edited November -1
    11b6r;
    Wonderful.
    My heart is always lightened when I hear such as you speak. The best of both worlds..using the system to access what it can offer...and teaching what needs to be taught at home.
    The little girl is lucky to have you and your wife.
    edited November -1
    Have any of you guys ever read "101 things to do 'til the revolution" by Claire Wolfe? She touches on this subject quite well. I understand she has a new book that is revised and has 179 things to do in it, now. I am looking into buying this book, also.
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    My girl is 4. They wanted to put her in kindergarten already...uh no. She's ahead because I spend time with her. I wouldn't have it any other way. They can preach their edited history to my kid later on in school, I'll have her quoting the Federalist Papers and Congressional Record to drop her history teachers onto the floor with their white washed versions.

On homeschooling....who needs social skills when social skills is learning to smoke weed and whoe out women while worrying about wearing the latest greatest chinese gear. The military teaches good social skills...Sir and Ma'am.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Red223
    My girl is 4. They wanted to put her in kindergarten already...uh no. She's ahead because I spend time with her. I wouldn't have it any other way. They can preach their edited history to my kid later on in school, I'll have her quoting the Federalist Papers and Congressional Record to drop her history teachers onto the floor with their white washed versions.

On homeschooling....who needs social skills when social skills is learning to smoke weed and whoe out women while worrying about wearing the latest greatest chinese gear. The military teaches good social skills...Sir and Ma'am.

That is great for your girl RED223,I wish more parents would try and do the same thing.I see people I work with both parents work 12 hr rotating shifts and make big money but their kids are either home alone , at school, at a babysitter or running the streets. When my wife and I got married we decided that she would stay home with our kids, This is a sacrifice when it comes to money but I think my girls are very well behaved for their age and they don't talk back or say rude things like their friends that have little contact with their parents.
    I have seen kids in the stores throwing things and running around fighting and screaming in the middle of all the shoppers , When their parents try to say something to them the kids will scream louder and start swearing at the parents.
    the schools use the kids as spies and ask them Does your mommy and daddy have a GUN?, Do they BEAT you?, Do they teach you to HATE gays or colored people?.
    When my wife took them in for their shots one of the questions on the paper work was,Do you have guns in your house?.[:(!]

I see a problem with our young generations growing up like this!.
    edited November -1
    quote:When my wife took them in for their shots one of the questions on the paper work was,Do you have guns in your house?.

You should have showed that to an attorney. I believe that is a highly illegal question, due to its contradiction to the 4th Amendment.
  • Jeb StuartJeb Stuart Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    These kids just inhale the propoganda they are fed in the public schools. If asked about the second amendment how many would remember little else then that their teacher told them it only meant a militia. Here are some other things most kids probably take for granted: christopher Colombus was an evil mass murderer(how long until they start calling Colombus day something else i wonder?), the pilgrims and settlers were bad and all Indians were good and lived here in peace and harmony until the white man came and taught them how to fight and kill, the "Native Americans" never would have scalped anyone if they hadn't been provoked first, the war between the states (better call it the Civil War when you ask a kid about it, or they won't have any idea what you are talking about) was about slavery and nothing else, i'm sure most public schools never even mention the term "states' rights" and I bet Sherman's March to the Sea comes out sounding like a real hero's story in today's history classes, even in Atlanta, the city he burnt to the ground. And how many of our kids have heard of Ruby Ridge? I'd say none who's parents' haven't told them.
    Those are just a few, and the point not that any one side or group was completely right or wrong, only that our schools are teaching completely skewed views of events. And you are just fooling yourself if you don't believe their is a reason behind it.
  • bunny1911bunny1911 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The public school system is a sorry state indeed. I was in the public system until the second half of my freshman year when, for personal issues, my father decided to pull me out and put me in a charter program. He had no concerns with what I was being taught. Rather, he had concerns with the social aspects of the school. It ended up being one of the best things that could have happened to me.

For those of you who don't know, in a Charter program you stay home to learn a set curriculum approved by the state. You go to the campus once a week to meet with and instructor who ensures you're on the right track. When faced with the state curriculum I was amazed. I had to learn all the same things as the kids did that were going to "real" school. The part that was amazing to me was that I finished all of the work in about three weeks. For the year.

I spent my days in the Sacramento State library where my dad was attending to finish his degree. I had access to books that would not have been allowed in a high school library. I was able to read what I wanted and to discuss things with the people attending the college.

Being the young woman I was, I insisted on going back to school for my senior year. I wanted the rites of passage; homecoming, prom, football games, pep rallies...all those things we're told are important. That year I was made to take a government class. In the class when we discussed voting procedures, the teacher passed around voter registration cards. He told us we needed to fill them out and on the day of our 18th birthday he'd mail them in for us. He discussed the different parties....sorry, that was a slip up, he discussed two of the parties, Democrat and Republican....supposedly giving us thier stances on many of the political issues. We then got into groups based on what party we wanted to register for so we could discuss. All of the 30+ kids in the class "decided", based on the information he gave us, to register Democrat. With one exception, a girl who said if she registered Democrat her parents would kill her, she wanted to, but was afraid of her parents.

My father was happy to find out I was going to be registered. He saw nothing wrong with the process. At the time neither did I.

It's been a few years since that happened and I have had to re-learn many things that were "taught" to me my senior year. But I'm learning and growing.

If I ever have children I am almost 100% certain I will be putting them through a similar charter program and supplementing thier education at home. I would enroll them in scouts and little league and many other things so that they would interact with other children. I also think I would let them go to a public high school if they so wished. I do not believe it would be benificial to deny them certain social rights of passage. Children need to know that not everyone is going to like them, help them, or want them around. They also need to know they can rely on me to guide and support them.

My father and I have not agreed on political issues since I started developing my own mind, but he has always been supportive of an open conversation, if not a little dissapointed when I bought my first hand gun.

I look back at my school and think on all of the classes they offer to prep the students for real life. They teach you to use skills, auto shop, wood shop, farming (yes, our high school had its own farm) sewing, we even had a class on how to balance checkbooks and pay rent. I'd like to say it is amazing to me that gun handling and use has become so much not a part of a necessary education...but with the way the schools are run today...it's really not.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunphreak
    quote:When my wife took them in for their shots one of the questions on the paper work was,Do you have guns in your house?.

You should have showed that to an attorney. I believe that is a highly illegal question, due to its contradiction to the 4th Amendment.

Gunphreak My wife and I did some complaining and sent some Emails to people we know have some say in the clinics actions and I am glad to say that when my wife went in last week the question (Do you have guns in your house?.)was not on the paper any more. I dont know if it was us but I hope so.
    edited November -1
    All it takes is one person to point out the obvious, and things will be done.
    edited November -1
    Friend of mine's daughter was headed out early one morning to hunt ducks. She is 15.
    Dad called her back and sent her on an errand..which she did. Running late for school, she just made a run for school...getting there about bell time.
    Good girl..little trouble out of her..excellent grades, everything.

Called out of school later in the morning..forced to open truck up for police. They made a sweep thru the parking lot and the dog alerted on truck..then crawled up into the back seat and pulled coat off shotgun...
    Suspended for the rest of the year....

The only thing I could say..."Good..maybe she will learn something the rest of the year, away from the Socialist pro-government propaganda.."
    edited November -1
    quote:The only thing I could say..."Good..maybe she will learn something the rest of the year, away from the Socialist pro-government propaganda.."

Always the optimist, aren't you, Highball??

BTW, I'm typing this with a serious expression on my face, if you want to know.