In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

This will make ya mad!!

pat1pat1 Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
Military to Pledge Oath To Obama, Not Constitution
Conservative News and Reporting
"News for the Rest of Us"
Michele Chang

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates is extremely frustrated with orders that the White House is contemplating. According to sources at the Pentagon, including all branches of the armed forces, the Obama Administration may break with a centuries-old tradition.

A spokesman for General James Cartwright, the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, states that the Obama Administration wants to have soldiers and officers pledge a loyalty oath directly to the office of the President, and no longer to the Constitution.

"The oath to the Constitution is as old as the document itself." the spokesman said, "At no time in American history, not even in the Civil War, did the oath change or the subject of the oath differ. It has always been to the Constitution."

The back-and-forth between the White House and the Defense Department was expected as President George W. Bush left office. President Obama has already signed orders to close Guantanamo and to pull combat troops from Iraq. But, this, say many at the Defense Department, goes too far.

"Technically, we can't talk about it before it becomes official policy." the spokesman continued. "However, the Defense Department, including the Secretary, will not take this laying down. Expect a fight from the bureaucracy and the brass."

Sources at the White House had a different point of view. In a circular distributed by White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, the rationale for the change was made more clear.

"The President feels that the military has been too indoctrinated by the old harbingers of hate: nationalism, racism, and classism. By removing an oath to the American society, the soldiers are less likely to commit atrocities like those at Abu Ghraib."

"We expect a lot of flak over this," the classified memo continues. "But those that would be most against it are those looking either for attention or control."

The time frame for the changes are unknown. However, it is more likely that the changes will be made around the July 4th holiday, in order to dampen any potential backlash. The difference in the oath will actually only be slight. The main differences will be the new phrasing. It is expected that the oath to the Constitution will be entirely phased out within two years.

Comments

• Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    If this is true it could be the 'straw that broke the camel's back'![:(!]
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Wish it was Jim. Not one single news source corroborates it. Hundreds of blogs/forums are the only sources right now. Sounds like a new urban legend. We shall see in a couple more days maybe.
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau

Even though I doubt the truth of this story,I do think the time is right and it would probably be accepted.[:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007

Even though I doubt the truth of this story,I do think the time is right and it would probably be accepted.[:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(]

If not for 911 I would agree. But I have talked to many of our 'war fighters' and MANY would not go along with this!!!
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1

If not for 911 I would agree. But I have talked to many of our 'war fighters' and MANY would not go along with this!!!

Jim; I agree with you, except I see this as an attempt to "weed" the true soldier out of the system.
    Too much is being said about Soldiers not re-enlisting because of Obama.
    Most of that is probably BS, but could it be intentional on the pols. part ?
    edited November -1

Jim; I agree with you, except I see this as an attempt to "weed" the true soldier out of the system.
    Too much is being said about Soldiers not re-enlisting because of Obama.
    Most of that is probably BS, but could it be intentional on the pols. part ?

Good point! But I think it would have much more far reaching impact than just to ID the faithful, or should I say the unfaithful?[V]
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    God, I LOVE it when a plan comes together !!!
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    God, I LOVE it when a plan comes together !!!

If this is true, it is advancing faster than I could even imagine.

In addition to the new "civilian military force" that he wants,......he intends to do away with the traditional oath to the Constitution.

I hope this is incorrect, but will watch it.
    I feel the days growing shorter.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see why the politicians pledge loyalty to the constitution?
    They all trample it anyway.

No disrespect to our soldiers intended here.

I honestly think this is just someone trying to "stir the pot" you know like many here at GB.[;)]
  • melkormelkor Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    'Never knew a black man to keep a job for 4 years...' This is another Urban Legend floating around the net. [:D]
  • MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pat1
    Military to Pledge Oath To Obama, Not Constitution
    Conservative News and Reporting
    "News for the Rest of Us"
    Michele Chang

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates is extremely frustrated with orders that the White House is contemplating. According to sources at the Pentagon, including all branches of the armed forces, the Obama Administration may break with a centuries-old tradition.

A spokesman for General James Cartwright, the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, states that the Obama Administration wants to have soldiers and officers pledge a loyalty oath directly to the office of the President, and no longer to the Constitution.

"The oath to the Constitution is as old as the document itself." the spokesman said, "At no time in American history, not even in the Civil War, did the oath change or the subject of the oath differ. It has always been to the Constitution."

The back-and-forth between the White House and the Defense Department was expected as President George W. Bush left office. President Obama has already signed orders to close Guantanamo and to pull combat troops from Iraq. But, this, say many at the Defense Department, goes too far.

"Technically, we can't talk about it before it becomes official policy." the spokesman continued. "However, the Defense Department, including the Secretary, will not take this laying down. Expect a fight from the bureaucracy and the brass."

Sources at the White House had a different point of view. In a circular distributed by White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, the rationale for the change was made more clear.

"The President feels that the military has been too indoctrinated by the old harbingers of hate: nationalism, racism, and classism. By removing an oath to the American society, the soldiers are less likely to commit atrocities like those at Abu Ghraib."

"We expect a lot of flak over this," the classified memo continues. "But those that would be most against it are those looking either for attention or control."

The time frame for the changes are unknown. However, it is more likely that the changes will be made around the July 4th holiday, in order to dampen any potential backlash. The difference in the oath will actually only be slight. The main differences will be the new phrasing. It is expected that the oath to the Constitution will be entirely phased out within two years.

Urban Legend - http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/oath.asp

Take a look