In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Internet

dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
Highball and others on this forum frequently say that there is not much we can do to help save this country from its downward spiral. However, I would like to present the following argument:

The internet is now a huge deal. For the first time in their lives, many people are getting a taste of true freedom. The news you read isn't controlled by the main-stream media. Anybody and everybody can have a blog detailing their views, politics, and any other area of life they deem important. We have free speech forums like this, and are able to meet in groups of like-minded people as never before. If it hadn't been for the internet, I would still believe that the NRA represented serious gun rights supporters such as myself. I would have never heard of the GOA or the JPFO. Much of the information I now use in conversations I got from the internet. For example, guns being more likely to be used for protection, gun control leading to genocide...etc.

We are no longer held to the beliefs of Dan Rather and the Communist News Network (CNN). I can find people like all of you who share my beliefs and communicate ideas. I wouldn't have a chance to find many people like in these forums in my every day world. The people who like all of the freedom the internet provides may certainly come to appreciate freedom in everyday life and get more of a libertarian mindset.

Finally those who support gun rights have a medium where we can try to educate the people about the importance of gun rights without being held to the beliefs of the major media. We can't give up now.

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dsmith,
    Agreed, the internet has opened up a whole new world.
    Before the internet, I didn't know there was such a thing as a FOID card, or what it was, or that some needed to have one. I didn't know about most of the draconian gun laws being passed in some states. I could not "easily" get information on how our elected representatives were voting. Or even who they were, if they were not in my immediate area.

The truth about (or at least a different opinion about) corruption in big business, politicians, government(s), etc. The UN-patriot act, the Trilateral Commission, the Bilderbergs, the Council on Foreign Relations, etc. None of which get much (if any) coverage from our "controlled" media.

The "information" age is upon us. The ability to communicate has never been better. Will this help us in our quest? How?

P.S. Just what is.......our quest?

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Freedom from tyranny.

I personally have found little new on the 'net....most of this information has been availible for years in certain quarters. Naturally, This would not be the local newspaper....[:D]

Sure is great to have it at one's fingertips, tho...and the ability to discuss the situation country-wide is indeed valuable. Naturally, the secret police also like the ability to track all those showing the slightest sign of throwing off the mind-control engineered by the Elites.....
    One day soon the 'net will 'collapse'....viruses, 'ya know....
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball, I don't believe viruses will cause the net to collapse. I am not running windows, I am running a more secure Unix variant. However even if you are using Windows there a lot of steps that can be taken to make your system *much* harder to infect. People just aren't that concerned about it yet.
  • KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have it so long as the un don't try to take it away.

www.templeofthesith.com Dark lord of the sith.
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see any way conceivable that the UN could try to take away the internet if they tried. That would involve shutting down every server. Not to mention that if they tried to do that, maybe, just maybe the people of Europe might try to stand on their feet instead of their knees.
  • KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its the european union that wants control of it.quote:Originally posted by dsmith
    I don't see any way conceivable that the UN could try to take away the internet if they tried. That would involve shutting down every server. Not to mention that if they tried to do that, maybe, just maybe the people of Europe might try to stand on their feet instead of their knees.

www.templeofthesith.com Dark lord of the sith.