In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Right You Didn't Know About?

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
According to one lawyer, if it is legal for you to carry on the sidewalk outside the US Post Office, Soc. Security, FDA, USDA, etc., etc., then it is legal to carry inside those federal facilities. If you doubt, check:

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"

Comments

• dlonewolflldlonewolfll Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent reading on the reference site!

I am going to check into state, county and local regs on this and then test it out! Of course I will get a couple other legal opinions first, but I think we should all try this one out.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dlonewolfll
    Excellent reading on the reference site!

I am going to check into state, county and local regs on this and then test it out! Of course I will get a couple other legal opinions first, but I think we should all try this one out.

I like your style!

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • M.OpaliskiM.Opaliski Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been over this a few times here locally with folks, legalities of it and what not ... my policy was always "don't ask, don't tell". I carry where I am, when I'm there, for the most part ...

Politics. Is Grand. Get Involved
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a correct read of the letter of the law. However, practice might differ considerably. Don't become a "test case", unless you are ready to expend considerable effort in legal defense. And are willing to risk losing.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to
    harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chunkstyle
    This is a correct read of the letter of the law. However, practice might differ considerably. Don't become a "test case", unless you are ready to expend considerable effort in legal defense. And are willing to risk losing.

Chunkstyle, please don't react as if my next comment is directed specifically at you because it is not. I am merely using your post as just one example of what is wrong with the thinking of many Americans.

My God, how clear does any particular law have to be stated before the American Sheep will bleat that "yes, that is my right and I intend to enjoy it". It should not be a matter of "that is a correct read...but practice might differ....". DARN it, either something IS a right or it IS NOT a right. There is no reason to play word games about it.

The way current Americans act (and this probably includes me) we act like a flock of sheep who have grown used to being in the confines of our fenced-in pen. Yet one day the pen fences suddenly fall and now we are free to escape to freedom and to enjoy that lush green grass that we have been eyeing for so long.

But then some of our leading sheep tell us "It is true that the fence is fallen, and it appears that we can now easily excape. However, in practice we should remain in our pens".

I am not advocating that all citizens suddenly start carrying weapons into government buildings. But as long as the "rule book" states we citizens have a certain right, no matter what that right is, then we should be able to enjoy that right UNTIL THE "RULE BOOK" IS CHANGED to state that we no longer have that right.

Compare this situationn to sports. No one here would put up with a dishonest call during a game played by their favorite team.
    Say the score was tied with your favorite team and the other team and the game was in its last 10 seconds of the game. Say your team kicks a 3 point conversion goal, as is their right, and wins the game. But the people in charge (referrees) say that despite what the rule book says, your team did not have the right for the 3 point win.

You and the crowd would riot and you know it. Yet in many cases the "rule books" (city, county, state and federal laws) give us certain rights clearly and in writing, yet the people in power say "well, you citizens don't REALLY have that right" or "we're unsure exactly what that right means".

Let's get back to saying that if our government "rule book" gives the citizens a certain right, then we should have that right until and if the "rule book" is changed.

Please don't settle for letting those in power decided almost on a daily basis what the rule books say. Read and decide for yourself.

• gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Theoretically it would work, but I wouldn't want to find out for sure, unless my life insurance was paid up.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
    edited November -1
    If we put our collective heads together I am sure we can come up with a relative risk free way to challenge this situation.

One idea would be for a group of us (gotta be in the same city though) to compose, sign and send a letter to the local post office postmaster telling them that we are lawful gun owners who have a legal right to carry a firearm outside the post office (could be a local/state right of visible carry or in states where we have CCW rights) and by reading title 18 we feel that we there is not federal prohobition against carrying inside the post office.

At a particular date and time we as a group are going to enter the post office, to send some mail, and we will be legally carrying our guns. And will there be any problems with this and if so what kind and why and what legal justification is there in causing us gun bearers problems?

This might be a good project for those here who have expressed that they are ready and alamost looking forward to going into civil war with our US government.

This could be their chance [:D]

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by M.Opaliski
    I've been over this a few times here locally with folks, legalities of it and what not ... my policy was always "don't ask, don't tell". I carry where I am, when I'm there, for the most part ...

I understand your position. However no lawful citizen should have to creep around while enjoying what should be a lawful right.

Not having a right at all is not as bad as creeping around enjoying a particular right. All the while hoping not to be noticed or hoping that the law enforcers are in a good and tolerant mood today.

It is far better to aknowledge that we do not have that particular right at all and then band together to get that right for us to enjoy.