In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

the NRA

mercmerc Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
Hi there
In a couple of other forums I have read some negeative posts about the NRA. How they are too big for their britches, don't really care about the little guy, blah, blah, blah.
I wanted to share my response on one of those boards with you and generate a little food for thought.
Throw in your ideas please.

The lousy 35 bucks won't break me and if the NRA does something like write an article to make me aware of something then it's worth the 35 bucks.
The best thing you can do for your right to keep and bear arms is to write to every single one of your government officials (from the janitor to the Pres.) every chance you get. Make your elected officials hear your voices.
And I am not blowing smoke . I write a letter and copy/paste to the world at least once a month.
If you can't do that (It takes about a half hour a month)for yourselves, than don't expect much from the NRA for 35 bucks.

merc
Living without liberty is not living
www.tacticalauctions.com

Comments

• mercmerc Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    C&P

Oral Arguments Heard in NRA's Appeal for Second Amendment Rights of Young Adults

Oral arguments were heard this week in the United Circuit Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in the case of Jennings v. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, in which the NRA is appealing a decision by a federal court in Texas, which held that the Second Amendment doesn't protect the right of young adults to buy firearms from federally licensed dealers.

"The NRA has been engaged in this ongoing fight--not just in Congress and in state legislatures, but also in the courts--for the right of all law-abiding Americans to keep and bear arms. All Americans deserve for their Second Amendment rights to be fully respected. If the law says you're old enough to fight for your country, it should allow 18-20 year old adults to purchase and own a handgun for any lawful purpose," said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas issued the ruling that is being appealed. The plaintiffs are a group of law-abiding 18 to 20-year-old adults who are challenging the federal ban on dealer sales of handguns to persons under 21, who are treated as adults for virtually every other purpose under the law. The lower court wrongly compared the ban to other restrictions the Supreme Court has said would be "presumptively lawful," such as the ban on sales to convicted felons.

The NRA filed a brief on behalf of these law-abiding young adults pointing out that nearly a decade before the U.S. Supreme Court decided District of Columbia v. Heller, the Fifth Circuit itself had held (in the 2001 case of United States v. Emerson) that Second Amendment claims should be decided based on the amendment's history and text. The history of the Founding era makes clear that 18-year-olds were considered adults for purposes of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms; for example, the Militia Act of 1792 required 18-year-olds to "be enrolled in the militia" and to arm themselves accordingly.

A parallel case, challenging the state of Texas's age limit of 21 for issuance of concealed handgun licenses, is also pending in the Fifth Circuit.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No arguments here, merc.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • wolfenwolfen Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to think of the laws that would get thru without the NRA. I donate money on occasion to political action thru the NRA. MY wife and I are both members. The NRA supplys phone numbers and addresses for contacting your elected officials and local representitives.

Many people I know will not bother to vote or throw away thier votes for green groups or other B.S. We cannot wait any longer for others to do our buisiness for us or to make our voices heard. We must step forward and do it now ourselfs. Look at Kalifornia, we are almost lost.

David R. Kelley
  • loruslorus Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ... but then again your vote may do a lot more then the money you give to any political cause.
  • loruslorus Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's another issue NRA has been silent on - air rifles. The states that ban them are doing so against the federal law - Title 15 Chapter 76 Section 5001 of the US Code.

NRA has done NOTHING and this dirgeard for firearms laws (air rifles are weapons of hunters too) has went on for years. I would never give a cent to NRA, GOA are anyone for that matter until they show that they are willing to do at least something.
  • wolfenwolfen Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lorus, what do you suggest we do then? I find many people have strong opinions, but make no action to make anything better for themselves, Familys or Piers. Do we sit on the sidelines and pray? not that prayer does not have its place but without action of some kind we are doomed.
    I had a friend tell me a story once of a man in a flood. He prayed to God for help. God sent a truck, boat, and Helicoptor. The man refused all three saying god will preserve and protect me. Then the Man asks God why he has forsaken him. God says, I sent a truck, boat, and helicoptor. You refused all three, I will give, but you must help by makeing an effort to save yourself.
    Please dont misunderstand. I do not meen to offend by this. Some action is better than no action. I know the NRA is not perfect. I dont know why they make deals with the politicians. To make deals with them is to loose ground that we cannot afford.

David R. Kelley
  • JEPJEP Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NRA is the only serious game in town. It is not perfect, nothing is. Both sides in the firearms control debate view each other as radical and maybe even fanatical. I find I have no common ground with the second amendment trashers and I don't even search for it anymore. The NRA has always said that if you give them an inch they will take a mile and you must exceed, not match, your enemies efforts. Without them my rights would probably be gone and my hobby along with them.

Edward Payne
    edited November -1
    Support as many as you can. It may be your suggestion that makes a difference.... but they're not going to listen to you if you don't help them. And while you're at it, there are other ways you can make your voice heard. I find news editorials to be an interesting source, and I always keep my GOA gun alert system on record with list of those who need to see what I have, with the comment, "You're reelection vote from me, and many like me, are depending on how you vote on this issue."

And if they don't listen, then hit the bricks.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• 25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry I can not recall where I read this within the last week, but a poll was taken by an independent group and guess who was rated the most effective lobbying group in Washington DC. THE NRA.
    What I have found about the complainers is that they are generally digusted about only one issue that involves them personally. If nothing or little is done, then the whole organization is not worth a hoot. Can these people not see the whole picture? I believe it was Ben Franklin who said something about all hanging together, or we would all hang seperately.
    I forget the figures, but the percentage of gun owners who belong to the NRA is relatively small. It is a shame that many are too self centered, stingy with their money, and too lazy to write or call their represenitives in Washington or their home state. What a difference it would make if we could get just half or the gun owners to join pro-gun organizaitons.
    If you do not like the NRA, join another group. There are plenty out there. Just quit bitching and join the fight.
    edited November -1
    Sorry I can not recall where I read this within the last week, but a poll was taken by an independent group and guess who was rated the most effective lobbying group in Washington DC. THE NRA.
    What I have found about the complainers is that they are generally digusted about only one issue that involves them personally. If nothing or little is done, then the whole organization is not worth a hoot. Can these people not see the whole picture? I believe it was Ben Franklin who said something about all hanging together, or we would all hang seperately.
    I forget the figures, but the percentage of gun owners who belong to the NRA is relatively small. It is a shame that many are too self centered, stingy with their money, and too lazy to write or call their represenitives in Washington or their home state. What a difference it would make if we could get just half of the gun owners to join pro-gun organizaitons.
    If you do not like the NRA, join another group. There are plenty out there. Just quit bitching and join the fight.
    edited November -1
    Sorry about the double post, did not mean to do that.
    edited November -1
    Right on 25-06. Anything is better than nothing.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like so many other issues, seems the common rational is to PAY someone to do your job. Seems easy enuff?

How about refusing to sign up for the Draft? Unless women are required to register also?

How about sueing the Local Police Department if they fail to show up in time?

How about an Armed March to Washington D.C. on the 4th of July?

How about organizing Local Clubs (Private) to THINK TANK on initatives = How, Why, When, Where?

How about taking an Offensive Posture instead of a Defensive one?

How about Speaking out against Rumsfeld (Enron[:0]), Cheney (Haliburton)[V], the ATF (Gestapo)[}:)], Zulkor (Iraq owner of Colt Ind.)[:(!], The Suprime Court (for dog assing the Issue)[:o)].

Better yet! Why don't we pay someone to do it for us, then we can watch the NBA, Play a Little Golf, Catch a Movie or two, then in our spare time; we could piss and moan a lot? My Old Granny told it right, "Talk is Cheap". "Actions speak louder than words".

If History serves me correctly; 1 million words and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. (but not everywhere)

"Democracy is not Self Sustaining"

Ronnie G. Perkins
    edited November -1
    Ronnie,

Let's not forget the money game. A word and a million dollars will make a certain impact,and therefore, we will have to try to match or beat out those who have money and want to make themselves a privileged class. I don't have the money all by myself to challenge th HCI organization (which does the exact same thing the NRA does), and there's a good bet not many others out there do either, but more importantly, a band of people will always get farther than one person.

We can't fight it alone....

Death to Tyrants!!!

• longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1