In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Handgun purchasing restrictions.....

Ex11BravoEx11Bravo Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hello to all, I have been trolling for a bit and have a question that I didn't find an answer for.

I am considering purchasing a handgun for home protection as my AR15 tends to be a bit bulky for this purpose. I am holding back on doing so mainly because I fear I'd be rejected because of a DV charge. I was never arrested and it was satisfied by taking an anger managment class about 4 years ago. I had my criminal background checked by an online source yesterday and it shows no history.

Do I have anything to fear in obtaining a handgun or a CWP?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body!" lol

Comments

• duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ONLY WAY TO FIND OUT IS APPLY. GOOD LUCK.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a DV charge?

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

Domestic Violence?
  • Ex11BravoEx11Bravo Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EOD Guy
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

Domestic Violence?

Yeah, I had a girlfriend that wouldn't leave my house, so I called the police. She claimed I threw her clothes at her as she was leaving, bam......domestic violence [B)]

• tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I was never arrested and it was satisfied by taking an anger managment class about 4 years ago.

In regards to quoted parts of your first post, if you were never "arrested"exactly what is the "it" that was satisfied by your taking anger management? And if the police basically admitted there apparently was no "crime" committed (as evidenced by the no arrest) then what exactly was it that had the power to force you to even take the anger managment class? I'm not trying to burden you with questions, only trying to better understand your situation in case I ever find myself in a similar situation.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    I was never arrested and it was satisfied by taking an anger managment class about 4 years ago.

In regards to quoted parts of your first post, if you were never "arrested"exactly what is the "it" that was satisfied by your taking anger management? And if the police basically admitted there apparently was no "crime" committed (as evidenced by the no arrest) then what exactly was it that had the power to force you to even take the anger managment class? I'm not trying to burden you with questions, only trying to better understand your situation in case I ever find myself in a similar situation.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."

No worries,

The police arrived and had only her and I to obtain any info about why they were there. I'm guessing they felt they needed to issue something since they were called and didn't know who to believe and charged us both with DV. They gave me a case number and a court date. That's where I was given a choice to take an anger managment class and court probation, where if I got anything above a minor traffic ticket in the next year or so (it's been a bit, I don't remember 100%...), then I would recieve the DV charge in full. I was given the option to prove that it was a misunderstanding and that I'm not some hot head beating women and children left and right.....???

That's the extent of my "criminal history", unless you count the random speeding [}:)] [;)]

I am an avid gun collector, but have yet to venture into handguns for this reason. I haven't even looked into getting anymore guns until recently, and the only thing I lack....is a handgun/side arm. The lasttime I handled one was my M9 if you guys feel me.

• Fast 96 AspFast 96 Asp Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just had the exact same problem as you. I was in court January 26 and as long as i complete the anger management classes I'm fine. Since then I have bought a shotgun and background came up clear. So if your DV "charge" was 4 years ago you have nothing to worry about.

better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    edited November -1
    Right on, thanks for the input

• zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good luck

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824