In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Can I get an M-4 or AR-15 ???

ReallyBoredReallyBored Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
I live in California but I want a semi-automatic M-4 or AR-15. How do I get one ? Can I get one legally ?

Comments

• WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has to have a fixed magazine for the lower, like these:

http://www.fabten.com/

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    MOΛΩN ΛABE

samsm.gif"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams, Patriot/Brewer
  • ReallyBoredReallyBored Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    can i buy one of the pre-ban models from someone ?
  • shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I have been thinking about it for a long time. I probably will in the next 5-10 years. Does Montana have relaxed gun laws ?
  • shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CA is the worst , most states are beter. Stay out of NY, MA, CT, NJ, OH. Maybe sum more but that's a start.
    [8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:can i buy one of the pre-ban models from someone ?

NO.

Kalifornia gun laws are designed so that even if you legally own a gun that becomes banned, you can then never transfer it to ANYONE. Not even your family. It has to be turned over to the authorities for destruction. That goes for "assault weapons", like the AR-15, hi-cap mags, and handguns not on the DOJ "drop-test" list.

When I lived in Kali I found that pretty much the only legal .223 semi-auto rifle I could get was a Ruger Mini-14. I'm sure there are others, but it can't have a detachable magazine and a pistol grip (only one or the other). That cuts down on your options. There are a bunch of other features that qualify as "assault weapon", like a bayonet mount, grenade launcher mount, thumbhole stock, detachable or collapsible stock, etc. To be legal in Kalifornia a semi-auto rifle cannot have any two of those features. Go to the Kali DOJ site for more detailed info.

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    MOΛΩN ΛABE

samsm.gif"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."
  • ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can own everything in AZ and we wouldn't mind a Kalifornian who is pro-gun coming on over to help offset the influx of non gun supporters who have flooded the state. However it looks like our representatives (2 Rep. Senators & 6 out of 9 Rep. congressmen)are going to lighten the minimal laws we have now and all are for concealed carry which we have always had. OK McCain can be a bit of a loose cannon but all-n-all he's alright.

("...I'll be all around in the dark. I'll be ever'-where - wherever you can look. Wherever there's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad - I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry an' they know supper's ready. An' when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise, and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too.")

"The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down to begin with."

"If I find you here Tonight..... THEY will find you here in the Morning"
    edited November -1
    Comengetit - lol, thanks for the invite to Arizone but I consider it hot when the temp gets over 82 so I dont think I could hang in arizona. at least you guys get to actually have fun with your guns though. how are the real estate prices out there ?

also, there was a federal law the recently wasnt renewed and it had something to do with "assualt weapons". what did the failed renewal allow people to do ?

i am so pissed i missed a chance to buy a baret .50 at turners about a year ago. i guess they are all banned now too :(
  • ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your referring to the infamous "Assault Weapons Ban", By Reno & Clinton, it was inacted in sept. 1994 and had a ten year life span. If not revisited and extended the sun would set on that same day, 2004. The sunset! If you are unfamiliar with the law it's readily available on search engines or the BATFE web site. They're still trying to inforce it, bless their everlovin' hearts.
    Property values have gone through the roof out here. I purchased a 1-1/4 acre lot for my mother and father-in-law for $130,000 last July a year ago, I sold it 9 months later for $275,000. Not bad for nine months! Friggin' capital gains! [xx(] .50BMG are banned in Kalifornia and a few other states. Not here, BOOM!

"The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down to begin with."

"If I find you here Tonight..... THEY will find you here in the Morning"
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootstright
    CA is the worst , most states are beter. Stay out of NY, MA, CT, NJ, OH. Maybe sum more but that's a start.
    [8D]

Why was Ohio included in this list? I live in Ohio, and have had no trouble

Molon Labe
    edited November -1
    quote:there was a federal law the recently wasnt renewed and it had something to do with "assualt weapons". what did the failed renewal allow people to do ?

For you in Kalifornia, NOTHING. Kali already has its own state-wide "assault weapons" ban that is permanent and will never sunset.

For those of us in some other areas of the country, it allowed us to purchase certain hi-cap magazines and to modify our rifles with certain features that were banned between 1994 - 2004, or to purchase a rifle with such modifications.

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    MOΛΩN ΛABE

• Fourth HorsemanFourth Horseman Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. AR style weapons are banned in CA. No pistol grip style rifles are allowed. Buy yourself a nice .308 Springfield M1A SOCOM.
    edited November -1
    the only thing good about the M1A SOCOM is that it (admittedly) looks cool. If you want a shorter rifle, pick up an SKS (I still think those are legal in the land of fruits and nuts). With the money you save by not buying the SOCOM you can pick up about 10,000rds of ammo to go along with it

Molon Labe
    edited November -1
    is that like the model that springfiels armory makes ? it looks pretty damn cool and fires a 30-06 i think ? 10 rd mags too
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Why was Ohio included in this list? I live in Ohio, and have had no trouble

I think I'm the reason for that, HVoF.

I live here, too, and I ripped on our state for having the most pathetic shall issue CHL in the country, the fact that our cities think state law doesn't apply to them (Kolumbus, Cincinnazi, Dayton sector, and behind the Glass Curtain, for example), the 31 round magazine limit for semi-autos that magically turn them into smeiautomatic machine guns, and the fact that we have no conservative representatives in the Senate, despite having both of them Republikans, and the same goes for that good-for-jack-s#!t Governor of ours, too.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
    edited November -1
    What are you talking about in regards to the 31-rd magazine law? I've never heard of it....

I will agree that the CHL that is on the books is pathetic. I plan on moving back into Kentucky within the next year so I don't have to worry about it

Molon Labe
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've read in ORC somewhere in section 29 that a machine gun consists of any gun that can shoot more than one bullet per pull of the trigger, OR a semiautomatic with a magazine capable of holding more than 31 rounds in the magazine.

The possession of 32+ round magazines is not illegal, but if you mate it up to a gun, it is technically a felony (one that I conveniently overlook, the same way local sheriffs do, unless the gun is used in a crime.)

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf
    quote:can i buy one of the pre-ban models from someone ?

It has to be turned over to the authorities for destruction. That goes for ... handguns not on the DOJ "drop-test" list.

I'm often wrong, but on this issue, I believe the gun can be transfered to another CA resident in a FTF FFL-recorded transaction. The handgun is still held ten days.

Check out Calguns.net
    edited November -1
    From CA DOJ:

quote:Can I inherit and keep a registered assault weapon?
    No. Pursuant to California Penal Code section 12285(b), any person who obtains title to a registered assault weapon by bequest or intestate succession shall, within 90 days, render the weapon permanently inoperable, sell the weapon to a licensed gun dealer who has a permit from the Department of Justice to purchase assault weapons, obtain a permit from the Department of Justice to possess assault weapons, or remove the weapon from this state.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs.htm

quote:Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

http://justice.doj.ca.gov/safeguns/safeguns_new.taf

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    MOΛΩN ΛABE