In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another weekend at the range.

Shadow83Shadow83 Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
I am sure some on here will take odds with some part of this but morons like this make me spit nails. They infringe on my freedoms because they are morons.[:(!]

Again at the range this past weekend there was yet another example of why responsible gun owners need to fight 100x harder to prove that they are not careless gun weilding jerks.

Four guys and their girlfriend were a the end of the range with a bunch of pistols, many snub nosed. They were as careless as they could be, even turning with a loaded weapon in hand to talk to a friend pointing the muzzle directly at the friend's chest and along the shooter's area. They were swinging the guns around like a loaf of bread with no concern for where the muzzle was pointed. We immediately moved to another bench further away (they were 2 benches away). After admonishing them several times for safety infractions three range officers stayed right by them until finally they asked them to leave. They started raising their voices arguing until they saw that the other shooters were starting to move to back the ROs up. In my opionin the ROs should have had the right to confiscate the guns right there until the owners attended a safety course.

It only takes one moron with a gun to make it much more difficult for the rest of us. If we don't police ourselves there are many others all too happy to jump in and do the job themselves. This is reality.

I can't believe that so many on this and other sites are so quick to attack anyone who does not think exactly like them on the 2nd Amendment and little is being done in govt for change. If one believes so emphaticly, take action in the law and make change. It's like voting; if you don't, then don't complain who is elected.

Shadow83
Love My Country,
Fear My Government

Comments

• Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was a worthwhile post, up until this part:

quote:I can't believe that so many on this and other sites are so quick to attack anyone who does not think exactly like them on the 2nd Amendment and little is being done in govt for change. If one believes so emphaticly, take action in the law and make change. It's like voting; if you don't, then don't complain who is elected.

I don't know about anyone else, but I do know that no one thing brought us the idiocity or lack of responsibility we have today. No one thing is going to fix it for us, either. (and I don't even want to get into counter-productivity on this area here)

So, structuring one law around that principle is not going to fix anything. And that goes double for background checks. Unless we make it impossible for felons to ever get a gun anywhere, the idea of eliminating the background check is rather stupid. The only way to assure those who are felons never own a gun is to keep them in jail for life, or kill them, and there is no other way, but that would remove the possibility (however infinitessimal it is right now) of a felon going to a gun store and buying a gun (this makes me laugh even looking at it, simply because I know where criminals buy their guns, and it isn't at the local Jimbo's Guns)

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amen Shadow83! I too have had more than one day at the range ruined by a bunch of careless yahoos. So far I have not witnessed any injuries (thank god), but there have been 3 or 4 times where I shoot off a few rounds, realize that the situation near me is definitely not safe, and then pack it up and call it a day. It really irks me because I am the one who is in convenienced, instead of the morons a few benches away.

My current range is a free public range with no rangemaster. It can get a bit wild there at times. Now if I show up and see more than 6 people on the line then I don't even bother getting out of my truck.

I think we really need to examine the "well-regulated militia" clause of the 2nd Amendment. As I have said before, I interpret that as meaning TRAINED and PREPARED. I'd say that 20% of the folks I see at the range aren't even trained or prepared to defend their 24-pack of Natural Light, let alone their own Liberty.

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    "...That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state."

-The Debates in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Virginia, on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution. June 27, 1788.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Perhaps if so many people didn't support insane laws....the "Well Regulated" part of the Amendment could once again take presidence....See...if we who believe in the Second Amendment didn't have to fight "gun owners" over insane gun laws...we could come together and actually fight the enemies of freedom....

I share your angst over untrained shooters. The ANSWER is NOT more gun laws...and sure as hell ain't a fedgov 'training' program...

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball is right. I'm all in favor of gun training programs - I think it would be excellent if it were taught in public and private schools.

However to force law abiding citizens to go through a course just to own a gun is just another ploy that would be supported by the Brady Bunch as a way of registering gun owners. That way the government would have a record of everybody who tried to buy a gun; the same type of list that Hitler needed to take control.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunphreak
    It was a worthwhile post, up until this part:

quote:I can't believe that so many on this and other sites are so quick to attack anyone who does not think exactly like them on the 2nd Amendment and little is being done in govt for change. If one believes so emphaticly, take action in the law and make change. It's like voting; if you don't, then don't complain who is elected.

I don't know about anyone else, but I do know that no one thing brought us the idiocity or lack of responsibility we have today. (snip)You missed the point. Point was that if one just sits in the wings complaining and does nothing to make change then close one's pie hole. Jump in!! Get involved!! All great change started with one small action. No effort is useless no matter how small. THIS is what America is about, not sitting on the RR tracks eating worms crying "Oh poor me, no body loves me". It our forefathers had done that we would all be eating crumpets for breakfast and NO ONE would be allowed to own a gun.

I remember way back in the early 70s that many High Schools where I grew up offered shooting as an elective. My son tried to start a shooting club at his HS and was immediately told no. But these same people censored (and threatened) him when he expressed his political views in opposition of Bush during the last Presidential election. Think about it.

quote:Highball wrote: Perhaps if so many people didn't support insane laws....the "Well Regulated" part of the Amendment could once again take presidence....See...if we who believe in the Second Amendment didn't have to fight "gun owners" over insane gun laws...we could come together and actually fight the enemies of freedom.... We must all remember that one person's insanity may be another's reality. This is why we must listen to each other and not cram our opinions and beliefs down any one else's throat. I DO believe that anyone who owns a firearm should be required to go through a training course, and not a 4 hour question and joke session either. This is my belief and would most likely support legislation of the sort (depending on what else was included of course). Yes I am of this thought just as others are of the opposite and would not (and probably emphatically oppose) any such legislation. I support and promote such contrast. This freedom is why I thank the universe that I was born an American. We can differ in our beliefs and support what we wish. If nothing would happen then so be it, but the freedom of being able to take action for change is the basis for America.

Shadow83
    Love My Country,
    Fear My Government
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Without taking the time to go into specifics, I've kinda gotta side some with Shadow83. If the shooters at his range get too out of hand, and the majority of citizens in that neighborhood decide they want that range and/or the guns and shooting out of there, that is exactly what will happen. No ifs, ands, or buts. The range will soon be gone.

Just like if the majority of American decide they want all guns outlawed, that is what will happen. It will happen in spite of the constitutions (state and federal), despite the intentions of our founding fathers, despite what anyone here wants or in spite of any excellent arguments, logic, examples or facts we can present.

Our guns will be gone. It will happen.

4lizad
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:Just like if the majority of American decide they want all guns outlawed, that is what will happen. It will happen in spite of the constitutions (state and federal), despite the intentions of our founding fathers, despite what anyone here wants or in spite of any excellent arguments, logic, examples or facts we can present.

Our guns will be gone. It will happen

Exactly what the British and majority of people living in America in 1775 thought.
    I do not believe it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would rather construct my gun buying, owning, using and selling behavior in such a way so as to keep that vast majority of middle Americans happy with me and my guns. Just so I don't need to find out if Highball or I are correct on what will happen.

4lizad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can't believe that, with as many liability laws and vampiric lawyers out there that a range would operate without someone as the groundskeeper. Every range around my home city has them, in one name or another, they all do exactly the same thing.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunphreak,
    Of the three gun clubs (well 2 this year, I let one go) that I belong to, there are no rangemasters present most of the time. There are during hunting sight in, or during a match, but otherwise, your on your own.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    I would rather construct my gun buying, owning, using and selling behavior in such a way so as to keep that vast majority of middle Americans happy with me and my guns. Just so I don't need to find out if Highball or I are correct on what will happen.HERE!! HERE!! FOX!!

Not only would it help curb the anti-gun fueling but it is the responsible thing to do. Guns are a serious matter and should not be treated any other way. When they are people die stupidly.

Now I have done my share of fun shooting. I have bagged my share of water jugs, abandoned vehicles, etc. We just found out that once a month the range has machine gun night. Anyone can come out and shoot almost anything as long as you clean it up and shoot safely. They bring car doors out some times. My son has been saving up jugs ever since he found out about it. It's a lot of fun. I would not go if it weren't safe. Remember, "Stupid is as stupid does".

Let's all work together not only so no one gets needlessly hurt but also NOT to pour any more fuel on the anti-gun fire.

Shadow83
    Love My Country,
    Fear My Government
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speaking of which, do most ranges allow you to shoot your Class III toys?

Irresponsible behavior is a serious issue. If we don't treat it as such, then the anti-gunners will continue to use it against us.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    At my range in Carson City, NV, anything goes. This guy showed up one time with some sort of MAC10-like gun with a silencer. He placed an old TV on the range and went at it full-auto. It is right next to the dump, so there is all sorts of junk that people have pulled onto the range. I think there is even a washer and dryer, and perhaps a kitchen sink [:o)]. Sometimes I just scratch my head and think, "WHY?"

There is no rangemaster, nobody ever cleans up anything, pretty much just the Wild West. Don't ask, don't tell.

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    "...That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state."

-The Debates in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Virginia, on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution. June 27, 1788.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No range in 100 miles of me allow it (and I suspect even further) because of the liability of such. Some ranges have been frivilously sued here, so that pretty much ended that.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dsmith
    Speaking of which, do most ranges allow you to shoot your Class III toys?Here in South East Florida we have one public outdoor range which is owned by the county. They allow macnine guns one night a week, .50BMGs only on weekdays. The restriction on the 50s is because in the past some have been so startled by the shock wave that they were frightened and backed away from the line.

Therre is a range in the West Everglades where it is open shooting. no ROs and no restrictions. One day I will get there but I am apprehensive mainly because of all of the gang bangers we have down here. I really don't want to be at such a range with Puffy Anything.

Shadow83
    Love My Country,
    Fear My Government
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What the HECK is a "puffy anything"????

4lizad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For the over-35 crowd, this should explain it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1155700.stm

-WW

wwsm.GIF

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Shadow83. But that link only explains the "Puff" but not the "Anything". Oh, well.

Man, I have total contempt for that fat * Jennifer Lopez being the kind of person who would hangout with such primitive street thugs. I read in the paper that when she was arrested over the shooting incident you linked to, she was handcuffed to a bench in the police station and as she sat there she cried like a baby.

Maybe she should have been more thoughtful of who she decided to hang out (and do other things) with. I am very unhappy that here behavior didn't hurt her damn career one bit.

4lizad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What the HECK is a "puffy anything"????Puff Daddy, Puff Mommy, Puff Banger; any thug that thinks that they can use a gun to settle anything. In other words, a "moron".[;)] Remember, Luther Cambell (of 2 live crew) is from Miami.

Shadow83
    Love My Country,
    Fear My Government
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Shadow83. But that link only explains the "Puff" but not the "Anything". Oh, well.Wasn't my link.

Shadow83
    Love My Country,
    Fear My Government