In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Press/Gun grabbers ignore FBI study

Big Gay AlBig Gay Al Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
From the Second Amendment Foundation
quote:PRESS IGNORES FBI STUDY SAYING GUN LAWS IGNORED BY COP KILLERS
BELLEVUE, WA - For more than two months, a damning report on a five-year study by the Federal Bureau of Investigation about how cop-killing criminals ignore gun laws and where they get their guns has languished in the shadows, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms revealed today.

"The public has a right to know the contents of this report, which was revealed to the International Association of Chiefs of Police last year," said CCRKBA Executive Director Joe Waldron. "According to the Force Science News, research focused on 40 incidents involving assaults or deadly attacks on police officers, in which all but one of the guns involved had been obtained illegally, and none were obtained from gun shows."

The study is called "Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers." Waldron called it a "smoking gun" in terms of revelations about the sources of crime guns. Anti-gun politicians and police chiefs do not want the public to know as they campaign against the so-called "gun show loophole," he said.

The newsletter quotes Ed Davis, who told the IACP that none of these criminals who attacked police officers was "hindered by any law - federal, sate or local - that has ever been established to prevent gun ownership. They just laughed at gun laws." The Force Science News is published by the Force Science Research Center, a non-profit institution based at Minnesota State University in Mankato. The newsletter also stated, "In contrast to media myth, none of the firearms in the study was obtained from gun shows."

"This is a devastating revelation," Waldron said, "and while Mr. Davis should be applauded for telling the IACP that criminals ignore gun laws, we're wondering why the IACP has been quiet about this, and why the mainstream press never reported this, and probably never will.

"Force Science News calls the gun show loophole a `media myth'," Waldron said, "and that's what gun rights activists have been saying for years. It's time for the IACP leadership to acknowledge that gun laws don't stop criminals, that they only restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens, and that gun shows are not the `arms bazaars for criminals' as they have been portrayed."

Comments

• Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forums.

With that handle you're going to catch a few flames but if gun owners don't hang together we shall surely hang separately.
    "catch a few flames" - pun intended.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Big Gay AlBig Gay Al Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I know. I thought about using a different one, but I'm such a South Park fan, I couldn't resist. I may change the pic in my sig to match. I've got an icon of Big Gay Al from SP that a friend sent me, modified showing him holding a pink Pistol. [;)]
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forums, Big Gay Al. Nice South Park reference.

I agree. It is terrible that the MSM ignores all of the reports with pro-gun findings in favor of blaming the law abiding gun owners. Sad.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Laws are only to herd the law abiding.
    Criminals, by definition, couldn't care less about the law.

Pay attention to PROVEN facts and statistics, concerning gun laws, crime?
    You've GOT to be kidding. [V]

Welcome to the forum Big Gay Al.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    We are way past needing anymore gun, or any weapon, laws. After you pass the basic laws, more laws will only encumber the already lawful and peaceful citizens. For example, for decades there have already been enough laws in place that it is IMPOSSIBLE to obtain, transport and use a weapon against anyone without breaking several laws. So, from a logical standpoint, why spend time, money and effort passing more laws? Why not spend that time, money and effort catching and punishing the criminals who are breaking existing laws?

And if passing laws that were directed at inanimate objects, such as guns, were actually effective, then it would make sense to inscribe the words "after any illegal use of this firearm you are required to turn yourself in at the nearest police station". If we could actually rely on more and more laws, then such a law would make it very easy to solve violent crimes. But as we all know, criminals ignore each and ever law that they so chose.

If we gunners were more alllied with each other, and therefore became an powerful force, we could call daily attention to such foolishness. Sadly, the liberals and the anti-gunners work together and are much better funded and organized than we gunners.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, some useful info. I like that. Admittedly, I'm not a gay rights supporter, but I am a support of everyone, including gays, to be armed to the teeth. I'm sure we can find our common ground there....
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I would much rather hang with a homosexual than hang with a anti-gunner.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    I would much rather hang with a homosexual than hang with a anti-gunner.

Me too...
  • Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    Typical selective "reporting" on the real problem regarding crime and illegal handguns.

A neighbor's home was broken into last year and several legally purchased and owned handguns were stolen among many other things. Suffice to say that those guns were probably sold on the street to others within hours, crimes possibly committed soon after, and probably those same guns were then sold on the street once again to others and so on. All the neighbor could do was report them as being stolen and give the police the serial numbers. Obviously, it's beyond finding the "needle in the haystack" so knowing that these guns are stolen and out there somewhere doesn't quickly diminish their life cycle in crime.
    edited November -1
    I have a rhetorical question? How can any gun be an 'illegal' gun?

If it was stolen, it is a stolen gun. If it was smuggled, it's a smuggled gun. If it is lawfully transfered, even if the other party wasn't being honest about its intent with the gun, it isn't an illegal gun at all???

The answer? It is a hot button word, just like 'assault weapon' or 'Saturday Night Special', and unlike these other two words, can be easily expanded to encompass all guns.
  • Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunphreak
    I have a rhetorical question? How can any gun be an 'illegal' gun?

If it was stolen, it is a stolen gun. If it was smuggled, it's a smuggled gun. If it is lawfully transfered, even if the other party wasn't being honest about its intent with the gun, it isn't an illegal gun at all???

The answer? It is a hot button word, just like 'assault weapon' or 'Saturday Night Special', and unlike these other two words, can be easily expanded to encompass all guns.

It's a braodbased descriptor and I interpret "illegal" gun to simply mean one that was not properly obtained through lawful means, be it stolen, smuggled, home-machined in a garage workshop, a homemade "zip" gun, serial number ground off or obliterated, etc.

I see your point and I know that the term "illegal gun" could be fine-tuned or tweaked but the implication is the same nonetheless.