In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

banned assault rifles in calif.

muzzleloader-2muzzleloader-2 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
Where can one go to find a complete list of what assault rifles are not legal to own in calif.

Comments

• 45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    California DOJ would be a good place to start. Dept. of Justice. As for "Assault" weapons. None are legal in Ca unless they are grandfathered in from before the ban. The ones currently on the market are Ca. legal. That means that they have Magazine that CAN NOT be removed. on the AR15 varients you have to open the top of the rifle and load it from there. Unless your Law Enforcement and have a letter from your Dept, you can't get any other kind here. Oh. And if you have a grandfathered AR, you can not transfer it or sell it to anyone in the state. Not even a family member.

It sucks to live here. But hey, ain't the weather great ?? *LOL*

I just found these sites. I think they will help.
    CA Firearms Laws

https://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/cfl.pdf

https://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

https://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/sb23indx.htm
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Not to belabor the point, they bans semi-auto rifles, not assault rifles![V]
  • muzzleloader-2muzzleloader-2 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks 45long, some very informative links
    edited November -1
    Actually Jim they did not ban all Semi-Automatic rifles. Only those "THEY" deemed as "assault" rifles. Said rifles are deemed "assault" by various items on the weapon. It is a three point system. The first is a given by simply being a semi-automatic rifle. The other 2 disqualifing points are any number of the following but not limited to. Pistol Grip, removeable magazine, bayonet lug, flash suppressor. Any semi-automatic rifle with 3 or more disqualifing features is listed as an assault weapon.

The Califonia legal version of these weapons do not have a removeable magazine, flash suppressor, or a bayonet lug. Therefore are legal in the state of California.
    edited November -1
    Hey Muzzleloader,,,, Glad I could help. Feel free to pass it around to whoever needs it. The list is a couple of years old. 2005 I think. But for the most part it is still relevent. I don't think there have been any major changes or additions.
    edited November -1
    Assault rifles have the ability to fire BOTH full and semi auto.

I know I have used alot of them.[;)]
    edited November -1
    I understand that Jim. I am not uneducated in that area either. I was referring to the legal definition in the California. That's the reality in this state.
    edited November -1
    Funny, I have been talking about 'reality' for two weeks now and many here refuse to accept 'reality'. But now becasue those who are uneducated about firearms call a semi-auto weapon an assault rifle in direct conterdiction to reality, that is excepted as reality![V]
    edited November -1
    I have NO idea what your talking about. I have explained why I gave the definition that I did. Take it however you like. I know what an assault rifle is and I know what the legal definition is where I live. I know the two are different. Why are you trying to make something else out it ?
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 45long
    Actually Jim they did not ban all Semi-Automatic rifles. Only those "THEY" deemed as "assault" rifles. Said rifles are deemed "assault" by various items on the weapon. It is a three point system. The first is a given by simply being a semi-automatic rifle. The other 2 disqualifing points are any number of the following but not limited to. Pistol Grip, removeable magazine, bayonet lug, flash suppressor. Any semi-automatic rifle with 3 or more disqualifing features is listed as an assault weapon.

The Califonia legal version of these weapons do not have a removeable magazine, flash suppressor, or a bayonet lug. Therefore are legal in the state of California.

A bayonet lug is not an "evil feature" in California. Also, there are adapters that convert a detachable magazine into a fixed magazine that requires a tool to remove the magazine. The California definition of a fixed magazine includes one that requires the use of a tool to remove the magazine. A bullet tip is specifically mentioned as meeting the definition of a tool.
    edited November -1
    EOD,, Yeah I know./ And I stand corrected about the bayonet lug. But IF the magazine can be removed at all with a tool then it is not Ca. legal. Thats the whole idea. The State goons even have a few definitions that are out of this world as to what constitutes a NON-Removable magazine. I guy I know just went through this with them. Lost over a $1,000 worth of lowers that were legal. But he won the case and is still in business. Just out a lot of money. Panther makes a lower that has it's magazine machined as part of the lower. It's Ca. legal. Below is the list of restricted features.

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
    A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    A thumbhole stock.
    A folding or telescoping stock.
    A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    A flash suppressor.
    A forward pistol grip.
    A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
    A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
    A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
    (B) A second handgrip.
    A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
    The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
    A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
    A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
    A folding or telescoping stock.
    A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
    A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
    Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
    "Assault weapon" does not include any antique firearm.
    The following definitions shall apply under this section:
    "Magazine" shall mean any ammunition feeding device.
    "Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
    "Antique firearm" means any firearm manufactured prior to January 1, 1899.