In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NJ Gun rights... reasons for denial if PtoP

adel2foadel2fo Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
One of the reasons that NJ municipalities can deny a person a permit to Purchase is the following...

"A person where the issuance would not be in the interest of the public health, safety, or welfare."

What exactly does this cover? Is it a blanket way to refuse the right to purchase? Or does it require some level of proof, justification? Anyone know?

Comments

• gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a judge's discretion. It could cover anything, or everything, dependent on the whim of the so-called (in)justice system. That's all it takes in the Sozialist Republik of New Jerkey.

That's why it is among several states I will never live in.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • adel2foadel2fo Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So it has to be a judge..? Not a police chief?
    edited November -1
    The application is submitted through the local police chief. It is all his opinion, with little regard to the laws.

If he denies it (and probably will), where do you think it will go next? If you want it arbitrated to see whether he was just in denying your application, it will have to go to where the law can be 'interpreted', and that is the judge. (I'm just skipping through the BS, because this is probably where it would end up, anyway).

In either case, it is almost impossible to get one absent a "compelling need". I have been seeing a lot of cases going to judges that were declined by the local police chief, and defending your life is not a compelling need. In a couple of instances I have seen, a couple women being stalked and had death threats issued to them by their stalker (usually an intimate partner) and were still absent a "compelling need" that was suitable. When I last looked, there were 17 of them. 11 are dead, now.

Sounds to me like you have a problem, especially if you have reason to believe you are in danger. It just never seems to matter to those who have nothing to fear what happens to those who have everything to fear, does it? Sad state of affairs....

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• 2gun2gun Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wait a minute, were talking about a permit to purchase not a ccw.they can deny even the right to premises ownership to someone with no criminal record?

we have really lost all rights then since the basic rights are LIFE liberty and the pursuit of happiness[V]at this point it may be the right time to rename it the bill of suggestions

no end to the ban here in ny.wish we could our congresscritters too.
    edited November -1
    Ok, I see the Purchase part now.

They can still be declined. It is still in the ploice chief's hands as to what he believes is against the public welfare (and you can bet he probably will). Then it still goes to a judge, and it becomes a matter of what the judge thinks the law of the land is.

All the same crap in fooeyholes like NJ.

I don't know exactly what they'll all say, but I do know that most unelected police chiefs in liberal communities have absolutely no problem denying you your 2nd Amendment rights whenever they can, and elected officials, such as County Sheriffs, know if they do that to too many people, next time they go up for re-election, they won't even be a dog catcher, then.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• woodchuckjohnwoodchuckjohn Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe that this is a reason for not issuing a permit to purchase. I live here and have never had a request rejected. Judges do not rule on purchase permits, only the local police chief. It is not as bad or difficult here as some lead you to believe. In this case it may be a denial in the right to obtain a permit to carry. That is a horse of another color. Judges do rule on these requests and one must have an air tight reason to carry. Retired police officers are some of the few who can and do obtain permits to carry. In the case of getting a permit to purchase the law states, and these are my words, that only in cases of being convicted of a felony, domestic violence, medical reason such as insanity or being drug user, restraining order, alcoholism.......these are the words that work in our favor....."a permit to purchase shall not be denied". WCJ

wcj
    edited November -1
    I have three buddies that came out of NJ about 4 years ago, all proud gun owners, and probably some of the most law abiding people I know. Two of them were denied permits to purchase, and another was about to have one of his semi-auto ugly rifles confiscated, before he sent it to me until he could get moved.

If it hasn't happened to you, the time will come. It just so happens that living in Indiana, they have no problem buying whatever they want now. I don't live in Indiana, but I do go hunting with them periodically.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• Broomie2Broomie2 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CCW permits in NJ are signed by a judge. You must have a water tight reason to need one. I've received mine in a time period of anywhere from 3 to 7 months & must be renewed every 2 years. Handgun purchase permits can take about the same lenght of time for the frist timer & are costly, after the frist time you can usually recieve them in about two weeks, upside is you can apply for 1 or 1,000 permits at a time.

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain
    edited November -1
    Are those permits free? If not, then whats the up side of that?!??!!?

Death to Tyrants!!!

• gonzo1510gonzo1510 Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, would you need any type of permit if you were to move to that state and you already owned firearms?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    edited November -1
    Good question....

My guess would be, yes. All those firearms would have to be registered and validated or become contraband.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• Broomie2Broomie2 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gonzo1510: Im not 100% sure what you mean by needing permits if you already own guns & moving to NJ. To bring those with you that you already own, its my understanding that you need no permit to keep what you aready own. Now to purchase a new gun in NJ welcome to the land of BS laws & permits.
    What I ment by the upside is, that permits cost $2 each with no limit to the amount you want. I see no free ride in owning a gun, the guns cost, NICS charge, tax, care, cost of ammo, range fees & other related expense, are a bit higher then the $2 permit. Come to think of it I can't think of many things that don't come with some kinda related or non related costs.

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain
    edited November -1
    I'm not looking at this permit issue as an ecomonic issue, but to me, $2 is still $2 too many.

In principle, permission to a right isn't a right of all.

But it sounds to me like you know that, already.

Death to Tyrants!!!