In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

KINGSTON, NY Man open fire with assault weapon

mrphotoguymrphotoguy Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
Here we go again..AWB new laws are on the way?

Robert Bonelli, 24, is accused of wounding two people and sending shoppers scurrying for safety Sunday after shooting his way into the Hudson Valley Mall, then giving up when he ran out of ammunition.

Police searching the suspect's room in nearby Saugerties that night found a cache of "Columbine memorabilia," Ulster County District Attorney Donald Williams told The Associated Press.

The prosecutor would not detail what sort of items were found in the house Bonelli shares with his father, but said it included media accounts and other information about the Colorado shooting spree by two students that left 15 dead on April 20, 1999.

"We may never know specifically what his intentions were, or what his motivations were," Williams said. "However, we are deeply disturbed and troubled by the recovery of Columbine memorabilia from his property."

"Information is being gathered that would demonstrate that the defendant had a lurid fascination with the April 1999 shooting," he said.

Bonelli, of nearby Saugerties, was being held without bail in the county jail after being arraigned overnight on first- and second-degree assault and reckless endangerment charges.

If convicted, Bonelli could face 25 years in prison for the most serious charge, first-degree assault.

A woman answering the phone at Bonelli's father's house declined to comment. The public defender assigned to Bonelli did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

According to police, Bonelli opened fire walking into the Best Buy store in the mall, just outside Kingston, about 55 miles south of Albany. After firing several shots, he made his way into the mall corridor and continued shooting until running out of ammunition near the center court, witnesses said.

The wounded included a National Guard recruiter who was in a booth inside the mall when he was shot. State police Capt. Wayne Olson said the 20-year-old man might lose his leg. Hospital officials said Monday that his family asked that no information on his condition be released.

The second victim, a 56-year-old man, had superficial gunshot wounds to his left arm, thigh and leg, Olson said. Two other people had bullet holes in their pant legs, Olson said.

"We consider it fortunate that more people were not struck," Olson said. "Sunday afternoon in a crowded mall, it really has all the potential in the world to be a disaster."

A mall worker, Keith Lazarchik, said Monday he made a "split second decision" to follow the gunman.

"People were just running out of the stores, ducking behind anything they could find -- screaming, kids were screaming, everybody running," Lazarchik told ABC's "Good Morning America."

"I didn't approach him right away," he said. "I just followed him. I was creeping up behind him as he was walking down the mall shooting."

When the gunman ran out of ammunition and dropped his assault-type rifle, Lazarchik lunged for the gun and two of his co-workers tackled the gunman.

"He was standing there with his hands in the air and we just grabbed him and sat on him until police came," said Phil Dudek, a co-worker of Lazarchik's at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Lazarchik said he did not know the gunman had run out of ammunition when he dropped his weapon. After the gunman was tackled and pinned, he said it was "over" and he had no other weapons, witnesses said.

"It's shocking that it happened," Ulster Town Supervisor Fred Wadnola said. "But I guess that's the way our society is going today."

The mall was set to reopen at midday Monday with crisis counselors available for employees. Best Buy was expected to stay closed for a couple of days. Michael Bovalino, chief executive officer of the mall's parent company, said security is constantly re-evaluated at the mall and will be again in light of Sunday's shooting.

CNN

Story Here
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/14/mall.shooting.ap/index.html

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder how much Sarah Brady, Diane Feinstein and crew, paid this guy.

Why have they not identified the so called "assault weapon?"

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    News reports say he had an AK-47 assault rifle. I'll put $50.00 down right now that says it was not a select fire assault rifle.

Poor news journalism....

I wonder if the SOB was paid off to do it. As far as I have read, no one was killed, a couple people were injured...

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
    edited November -1
    Oh, one more thing, was there a huge outcry about the fact that nobody could shoot back, thanx to the Marxist viktim disarmament laws in place in the Siozialist Republik of New York???

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunphreak
    Oh, one more thing, was there a huge outcry about the fact that nobody could shoot back, thanx to the Marxist viktim disarmament laws in place in the Siozialist Republik of New York???

Death to Tyrants!!!

No outcry here - not even a mention of that point.

JPFO Life Member
    www.jpfo.org
  • HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clearly the problem is with the man not the "assault type weapon" (whatever that means).

He could have done the same thing with a car.

Sako Fan
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is an "assault type weapon"? Typical liberal propoganda. No make, no model. Just plain old fear tactics. The left has hit an all time low. I saw Peter Jennings report on the ban expiring. They implied "renew the ban or criminals will attack you with machine guns."

Legalize all guns and send the violent people to prison for life.
    edited November -1
    quote:Legalize all guns and send the violent people to prison for life.

...or let the populace go open season on them with no bag limit. That would take care of that problem.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• aerogenius1aerogenius1 Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet if New York had a Conceiled carry law in place that guy would havn't gotten off 2 rounds before he ended up looking like swiss cheese!!!!!!

Statistically if you look at the states with such laws the crime rates are lower than others. I know what the Nazi Politicians would say to that statement, "but the number of shootings have increased". Maybe, but if you look at it from a tax payers perspective, for every criminal we put out of OUR misery, it save us $50,000 per year we save.