In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ohio FFL

carsonbmcarsonbm Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I was just told by a seller in Ohio, that a fire arm doesn't have to go to an FFL as long as the buyer and seller live in Ohio, as long as it is shipped by an public carrier. Does anyone know if this is true?[:D]

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The following quotes are from the BATF's --- FAQ page.
    I do not guarantee the accuracy of said quote, just passing them along for your edification.
    You need to check your LOCAL laws.

quote:(B8) May a no- licensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A no- licensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    quote:(B16) What record-keeping procedures should be followed when two private individuals want to engage in a firearms transaction?

When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not re-quire any record keeping. A private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary under Federal law for a Federal fire-arms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are "same-State" residents. Of course, the transferor/seller may not knowingly transfer a firearm to some-one who falls within any of the categories of prohibited persons contained in the GCA. See 18 U.S. C. ?? 922(g) and (n). However, as stated above, there are no GCA-required records to be completed by either party to the transfer.

There may be State or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact State Police units or the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.
    Another one that may be of note....
    quote:(B7) May a no- licensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A no- licensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A no- licensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by carsonbm
    I was just told by a seller in Ohio, that a fire arm doesn't have to go to an FFL as long as the buyer and seller live in Ohio, as long as it is shipped by an public carrier. Does anyone know if this is true?[:D]

If it were me, I would go get it in person, and I don't care how far it was to do so.

The less Big Brother knows, the better.
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the person is not prevented from owning a Firearm you can sell it to him face to face without going through all the B.S of a FFL transfer but you should get all the information you can, Like a Drivers License number and thing like that as even though you sold it to him in a face to face sale the gun is still in your name and if the person buying the gun uses it in a crime you would be liable unless you could prove that you sold him the gun.
    So unless the person is your Brother or your Son I would go through a FFL transfer so the gun will be in his name and not yours.