In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Felony restrictions

bugaboobugaboo Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
Given that convicted felons are prohibited from possessing firearms and loaded ammunition...

which of the following are also prohibited (or allowed):

primers, powder, brass, bullets, reloading tools or equipment(?)

Also, how about knives, swords, or bayonets?

Thanks.

Comments

• GotdeereGotdeere Member Posts: 293 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I would think that primers, powder, brass, and bullets would fall under reloading tools or equipment which may also be able to be taken as ammo. I may be wrong on all of this but a bayonet may fall under firearms since it can be attached to one for optimal Use. Like I said I may be wrong so don't take that to the bank.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What the courts would ask you is "Why do you have these things?" The answer better be a good one. No, a bayonet will not be included because it goes on the end of a firearm, unless, of course you are caught with it on the end of a firearm. A bayonet is still a knife, even if it can be put on the end of a gun.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • bugaboobugaboo Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Gunphreak, but are you saying these things are prohibited or not?

Which?

Any laws, legal references, or web sources SPECIFICALLY addressing/clarifying these concerns you can refer me to?
    edited November -1
    Let me clarify....

All reloading equipment is questionable, not covered by any laws I am aware of, and they have no way of telling who purchased them... yet (so far, this doesn't seem to be a problem the fuds think they should have to address), but if a felon is found with these things, they better have a good reason why they had them, because possession of reloading equipment is an assumption that the felon is manufacturing ammunition... but for what? Something they are not supposed to be in possession of? That is BAD NEWS!!!

Possession of a bayonet is NOT illegal to own, but if you have the matching firearm, the firearm is what is illegal to own.

Got it??

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:(!]The BATF has the "RIGHT" to make up their rules as they go along. (ask the Davidians or Randy Weaver - to name a few). If there isn't a rule against reloading supplies or bicycle chains = Be patient, and look at how "Freedom" has changed in these last 50 years. Problem is; most of the young have been brought up with the attitude that "Freedom" is merely an abstract, an abstract that is interpreted by the Government/Govenors. We are quickly moving toward that Orwellian State predicted years ago. There will soon be few of us around that remembers "Freedom" or holds it so dear. Has anyone stopped and figured up how many rules and regulations (Federal, State, Local) we are now subject too? THOUSANDS! Being an American is as difficult as walking a razors edge. I had always considered mysef a Man Of Honor, I loved the Flag, I respected my Government, I believed in GOD and the Constitution of these United States. I believed in the American People. If the ATF have their way; I will be a Felon and jailed for the first time in my life. The ATF plan to make but one more example of those that fail to listen and obey. I had a right; No! An obligation to serve my Country. Now I have an Obligation to serve the Founding Fathers and their Interpetation of "FREEDOM". [V]

Ronnie G. Perkins
    edited November -1
    What Ronnie said.. and I said. If it isn't covered now, it could be if the sudden hair up their butt goes in the right place.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• bugaboobugaboo Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps I should ask over at G.O.A. for more of a definitive answer.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let us know what "they" say about it.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    NM Statute reads that if you are a felon (someone convicted of a felony within the last 10 years), and have not been restored to rights, that person cannot possess firearms, deadly weapons (that bayo comes to mind-longer than 4"?), or loaded ammunition.
    Now, all bets are off if you've got a Dillon and a few hundred brass.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
    edited November -1
    This matter seems state governed. I have found nothing else on this subject.

1 law down, 1,999,999 to go!!!

Death to Tyrants!!!

• snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    If you scritinized every law on the books and every person, I think there would be 220 million felons in the U.S..

Let's change the laws and quit bickering about them. One man CAN change the status quo.
    edited November -1
    Hey snake-eyes, I think that's what they're counting on.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• BootlegBootleg Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's the law as far as I know. Guns (even Blackpowder), powder, primers, propellants, crossbows and even air rifles are illegal for an ex-con to own. bullets, brass, reloading equipment, knives, swords,
    long bows and compound bows are ok. Paintball guns, flareguns and replica guns MIGHT be illegal for excons.
    Basically ATF laws state anything that involves a propellent (whether it is powder or air or ???) being used to propell a projectile is illegal for an exfelon. Probably high power lasers are also now illegal.
    Double edge knives (called daggers by legal terminology) can be illegal and are illegal to carry by most state laws. There is also size restrictions by state laws to concealed or folders that are concealed. As far I know there is no size limits on singler edged non-concealed knives or swords except maybe local laws. Axes, maces, warhammers, etc. are all ok.
    Of course a sqirtgun filled with sodium cyanide desolved in DMSO is probably legal as is a slingshot with 1 inch steel ballsbearings!
    An old English longbow made of Yew is legal and quite formadible and excons can go hunting with it during bow season. It even penetrated
    the highest level kevlar vests that most bullets won't.
    ANYTHING....and I mean ANY THING, can be construed as a deadly weapon by a prosecutor in an assualt or homicide trial according to current laws. If you kicked your opponent, your shoe is the deadly weapon. If your ring cut him when you hit him or caused any damage, it's the deadly weapon. This applies to EVERYONE, not only excons.
    Don't spit on anyone if you have ANY disease! That's a deadly weapon!
    If you think you might get into a dangerous fight requiring you using a weapon, then carry an "EXTRA" untraceable throwaway knife without your prints on it to put in your opponents hand afterwards before any
    one sees you doing it and before the cops arrive. Then you have a shot at self defense in court. Keep proclaiming the guy said he was going to "Murder You" and you had no place to run to escape.
    Read Masoud Ahabs (spelling might be wrong) books on self defense court cases.
    Most importantly, prepare in advance a few legal loopholes your lawyer can beat the case with before you grow brass balls. Then and only then...FIGHT DIRTY AS HELL if you have to fight at all!
    I avoid all fights, but when I can't, I win all fights! At 56, I'm a
    multiple ex-felon having served 12 years in a federal pen for my last beef. I was raised through Chicago Street gangs and live my lifestyle
    among Outlaw Biker 1% er Clubs for the past 40 years. I haven't lost a fight in 30 years and I've had hundreds, often against 2,3 and more
    opponents. But I fought dirty too and attacked first when I seen no other solution. I never stand around name-calling....I either ignor it or "LAUNCH" at them! This one trick...SUPRISE, gives me the ability to strike the first blow which in 97% of the fights will end it with your opponent running after a fast right hook to his jaw! If not.....I grab either his throat or nuts and SQUEEZE hard while whispering coldly to him..."Do you REALLY want to see something scary?"! Often, i'll first just grab his nuts or throat and whisper my question. This usually allows him to privately and discreetly beg
    forgiveness. I try to catch my opponent in private like when he go to piss in a bars john. This way no-one sees me and it allows him to keep his self respect among those watching in public his threats to me. This is IMPORTANT to try to allow your oppopnent to kiss your * in private and to then tell him you're going to forget the incident once you both leave the john.
    I'm a real friendly person and laugh and joke a lot in public. There's always some drunk that mistakes my smiles and friendship for
    weakness and when I think I'll likely have to deal with him violently
    in public soon, I wait till he's not looking or goes to piss and then
    AMBUSH him, striking first in the above manner. The nut and throat routine absolutely SHOCKS them and works 90% of the time avoiding a public fight. On REAL BIG guys, I pull out my lil 3" pocket knife and hold it to their throat or nuts while asking them my question while
    squeezing with my other hand. If lucky, i'll catch em pissing and grab their dick and squeeze it with the knife against it. Remember...
    I fight dirty and these methods actually avoid fights. Not many will come out of that john and still want to take a chance on disrespectimg a CRAZY dude like I make them think I am! PERIOD!
    Hell, I've even made a lot of good friends and had beers bought like that over the years.....smiles.
    Point is....I don't start fights....but if necessary KNOW a few dirty streetfighting techniques that will end them and I always strike first with suprise, if I see no other options. I try to use MAXIMON shock with little actual violence and an appearance of being very insanely violent for a few moments. It works for me....need I say more?
    BTW...I ALWAYS drink Budweiser in bottles in bars and always hold the bottle. They've saved my butt on many occasions. Bust it over one opponents head and hold the jagged neck to parry or chase the other opponent(s) immediately afterwards. Strike first and fast against multiple opponents giving yourself time to exit or get close to a club, 2x4, cue stick or better yet ....the pool balls which make excellent headbusters when you start launching them at 3 or 4 opponents. (Guaranteed to send 3 or 4 attackers running and screaming in pain, especially if your aim is good from a few yards away! haha)
    Pool balls are your best friend in a bar when attacked by more than one idiot! Even if ya miss their head and aim for their chest, one 3" 8 ball thrown at full force into your attackers chest will break ribs and feel like a sledgehammer hit him. One cue ball wizzing past an attackers head, missing by a few inches, will stop him dead in his tracks and get him running cause he sure ain't gonna take a chance on you missing twice. I wouldn't take that chance if pool balls started wizzing full force at my head...would you? One pool ball to the knee or legbone or nutsack or stomach also does miracles to take the fight out of attackers.
    One last trick. Carry a pocket full of 1 inch steel ball bearings or 1 oz lead sinkers. Throw one or a handfull at attackers and watch the results! About 7-8 thrown at once is a good barrage guaranteed to get at least one head hit at close range and stop that opponent. Afterwards just feining to throw the next handful will stop his friends till you can exit. (ole trick the hippies in the 60's used against cops during big protests)
    **** pepper spray....it don't work against enraged drunks! When it does work....it takes at least 10 seconds to affect ther subject....far too long in close combat situations like a bar fight against several people. **** Tazers too. Those can be taken away and used against you or used against you in court.
    Always look around your environment for potential weapons or advantages in case a problem arises later. Seat yourself with a view of the whole bar and your back to a wall. (Near pool tables if possible...haha)
    If using a cue stick, immediatly snap it in half. You will then have 2 weapons as it usually breaks with a sharp jagged point on each end and you now have a jabbing 3 foot spear for each hand. Using a cue stick as a club is foolish and done only by dummies!
    THINK THINK THINK about what's available and make up several plans in advance when going anywhere in case **** happens. If you have to fight, make your opponent think you are BERSERK. Holler, Hoot, spin,
    act nutty as you can. (I howl and growl like a wild wolf and even snap my teeth) Do it LOUDLY and act fierce. Charge a group of opponents first like this, stopping a few feet away, then pounce back 2 yards and growl at em. That immediately stops their charge at you for a few seconds giving you time to exit or reach a weapon. Hop behind the bar and throw full bottles at em or find the bartenders ball bat or gun! If you start breaking up the bartenders bottles, he'll end the fight or call the cops. You want cops to arrive if you're attacked by several opponents as long as you did not start the fight and they were trying to attack you first. They will get convicted in court...not you.....and the cops arrival might save you an asskicking if you hold them off long enough and bust up the bartenders bottles throwing them at your attackers so he'll have to call the cops. (Many bartenders try avoiding calling cops at all costs...but if your * is in danger, you have to figure out how to make him call or at least help you by breaking up the fight.)
    Dirty Tricks? Yes! But another one that might save your butt! (If ya get his gun, pop a cap into the floor in front of your attackers. They'll stop fast and split even faster! No court will convict you either of defending yourself under those conditions.)
    Remember this too..... if you go partying with good friends and one starts doing stupid **** or trys starting fights for no reason with strangers, it's sometimes better sucker punching him in private (a right cross to the tip of the chin is a knockout punch every time) and
    knocking him out, then taking him home. Sometimes being a good friend requires you do things only a TRUE friend will do for one another to save them from grief they are about to cause for themselves and maybe you too. I avoid partying with these types of my friends. But I also believe that I have to go out partying hard with a new friend so I can see how he handles himself when he's ****ed up. If he isn't cool,
    I won't party with him again...though I will still stay friends.
    Try to choose those friends you party with that will back you up, but that don't start problems.
    I love chasing *****, telling ole funny stories bout myself and even meeting new people. I treat everyone respectfully no matter how drunk I get and only ask the same from others. I avoid trouble but know Murphys Law is always waiting around the next corner, so I plan in advance. If trouble is unavoidable....I Fight Dirty and strike First!
    This often minimizes the problem and it's often settled privately and discreetly without anyone noticing.
    30 Years....not one lost fight! (I'm no bad * nor do I have any professional training. I guess I'm REAL lucky and am very instinctive about peoples intentions and I always survey my surroundings and keep one eye on everyone else at all times when partying or even while doing ANYTHING else.) The above methods work for me since as an ex-con I can't carry a gun nor dangerous weapon.
    Yet I also don't fear partying in the most dangerous places among the most dangerous people.
    I sincerely believe those in life with my experiences can recognize another like them in a dark bar from across the room by a single glimpse into each others eyes! A look that says "Respect" and friendship welcomed.....but don't tread on me for I bite back hard!

Nuff Said-
    Bootleg
  • billyblue2388billyblue2388 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been off Parole and Probation for 6 years now. I was walking out of a store and a cop saw a 6in. knife in a shelf on my waist in plain sight. The cop used this (The legal knife) to search my truck WITHOUT my consent. I live in Orange County, Calif. Is this a legal search, since I was doing nothing wrong?
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by billyblue2388
    I've been off Parole and Probation for 6 years now. I was walking out of a store and a cop saw a 6in. knife in a shelf on my waist in plain sight. The cop used this (The legal knife) to search my truck WITHOUT my consent. I live in Orange County, Calif. Is this a legal search, since I was doing nothing wrong?

In CA -- anything cops do is legal, especially in Southern CA. You should prepare yourself for worse.

What's up with a 4 year old thread too?
    edited November -1
    What do you mean by a 4 year old thread
    edited November -1
    What do you mean by a 4 year old thread

Look at the first post on this thread:

Author Topic Next Topic

bugaboo
    Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 : 8:58:49 PM
    edited November -1
    That still doesn't tell me if just having a knife in plain sight on me gives the cops a reason to search my truck.
    edited November -1
    That still doesn't tell me if just having a knife in plain sight on me gives the cops a reason to search my truck.

You need to consult a lawyer on this. Like I said, in CA, all they need is a probably cause. Previous criminal record regardless of parole and probation and a weapon in plain view, even just a weapon in plain view, most likely would be enough to justify probable cause, in this case, by CA law, he has a right to search your vehicle and pat you down. Is it right -- probably not, but right and wrong has been flipped and mixed in CA for a long time now.
    edited November -1
    Thanx, not really what I wanted to hear, they found a gun in the back of my truck. My bail was 100,000.00
    edited November -1
    Thanx, not really what I wanted to hear, they found a gun in the back of my truck. My bail was 100,000.00

Yeah, I would definitely consult a lawyer, but it looks like the law isn't on your side in this case. Again, I'll say it -- I don't think it's right, it's just what it is.

Did the cop search you randomly because you had a knife on your side? Open carry of "dirk or dagger", afaik, isn't prohibited in CA, so if he just randomly picked you because he saw a knife -- with a good enough lawyer you can prove in court that the search was illegal with all ensuing consequences. But it's CA, and reason, common sense and Law of the land do not apply there. If you haven't yet, check out forums at findlaw.com, you might find a better advice there. Sorry to hear about your situation, hopefully it'll get straightened out.
    edited November -1
    Yes, I do have a good Lawyer, He said I do have a good case because he searched ONLY because of the knife that was in plain site on my side. I'll find out Friday. I go to my Prelim.
    edited November -1
    Yes, I do have a good Lawyer, He said I do have a good case because he searched ONLY because of the knife that was in plain site on my side. I'll find out Friday. I go to my Prelim.

Well then, there you go. Good luck tomorrow.

If anyone's reading this needing proof that cops are a special breed -- here's a perfect example. Those who still fantasize about law enforcement being on the side of common folk need to wake up and smell the beans.

(billyblue2388, I apologize for using your situation to promote my agenda [:)] )
    edited November -1
    THX Again !! But... Does anyone else have some comment or advice on my Knife issue ??? Look above
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would echo most of what thesneakyrussian said, including why post of a 4 year old thread, instead of starting a new one?

Anyway, you said you have been off parole/probation for 6 years, implying that you have been in prison. Was it a felony (or a violation where the sentence was one year or more) that you were convicted of? Not being familiar with every state law, I have to ask, are convicted felons allowed to carry weapons in California? Even if carried openly?

Most every state has an escape clause in the statutes somewhere, allowing for "probable cause" searches, especially if they suspect a felony. If you were convicted of a felony (or ?) in the past, you were in possession of a weapon, and you had a gun in your truck, then by law, you have now committed another felony. They don't hand out $100,000.00 bonds for petty offenses.

Since you have stated that you ALREADY have a GOOD lawyer, that I presume knows California law, I have to wonder why you would ask strangers on the internet for LEGAL advice.