In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I had no idea about Great Britain

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
In the October issue of Legion Magazine there is a an article detailing how the British have made it unlawful for a person to plan to defend themselves, even in their own home. Nothing that could be used or is intended to be used as a weapon is permitted to be carried.

A man who killed a burglar and wounded another in his home with a shotgun received more jail time than the burglar who survived. Not only that, upon his release the burglar was given government funds to hire an attorney to sue the man who shot him.

Why can't our government officials look at the increased rate of violent crime in England and realize that gun control is not the answer to violent crime? I'll answer myself on that one: gun control isn't about crime, it's about controlling the citizens.

avitar.jpg
Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

Lafayette.gif

Not a member at the auction? Join Gunbroker at this link!
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I think you have gotten a correct answer to your question [:D]. The government wants as much power as it can get and if you have to depend on it for your defense in your own home, how much more powerful can the government get than that?

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    A useful tool here for helping to educate the uneducated about gun control.Not the fanatics but the fence sitters..
    edited November -1
    ...of which there are WAY too many sitting on that there fence.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Absolutly fox......and we need em!..I know youu know that ...
  • mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most important questions are;

Why did the British Gov. need to controll it's law abiding people? Answer - because Britain was causing or about to cause the Great Depression and did not want it's normally law abiding populace who now had no jobs, no food, and no money running around with guns attempting to feed themselves and their families.

Why do totaltalitarian govnments need to control their people?
    Answer - to make sure that the people can not stop or throw them out.

We know that our Low rate of gun crime is not the real reason for these illegal gun laws. So what is?
    Answer - Something is going to happen that is bad enough that our government does not want it's population running around with guns.

What's that going to be? I think Club of Rome recommendations. Coming soon with an Abomb near you.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fence sitters need educated.
    I am trying to do my part.
    Win some [:D] .....loose some. [:(]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    might be our only salvation. Educate and motivate the fence-sitters of which there are PLENTY to go around.

• steveUKsteveUK Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As you may guess from my username, I'm from the UK. I don't know if you realize Henry0Reilly that not only is it against the law in the UK to plan the defense of your home, but it is also against the law to carry any implement or weapon for the purpose of self defense - this has been the case since the 1950's. Going on from this, there are moves within the Uk to ban blank firing guns as well as the 'real' ones which we are no longer allowed to own - not so long ago the Home Secretary proposed a ban on knives, and it wasn't until it was pointed out that it was impossible to differentiate in a legal description between a household carving knife and a knife designed for attack that the whole idea was dropped!!!!!!!!!!!

This I my first post here so as a newbie pls be gentle[;)] as I'm going to wander a little off topic. Before the wandering begins I would like to point out I am against the current UK legislation which prohibits the private ownership of all guns except .22 rifles and smoothbore weapons (shotguns and muskets)

On many US forums there seems to be a general opinion that the dramatic rise in guns used in crime the UK has experienced over the past 5/10 years can be attributed to what is referred to in the UK as the 'gun ban'. As much as I wish this were true (you couldn't find more compelling evidence for the reversal of the gun ban than that) it isn't. The UK has never had a culture of using guns for self defense, although that is not to say it has never happened. In the pre gun ban days, guns were stored in the home within a locked steel cabinet. Can you imagine asking an intruder to hang on a moment while I fetch my gun - no neither can I. Again, in the pre ban years the carrying of guns routinely day to day for self defense was illegal.

The rise in gun crime within the UK stems from the UK's geographical location and its closeness to what once was the former Eastern Bloc - since the fall of the Iron Curtain, Europe as a whole, has been flooded with firearms from the former Eastern Bloc with a large number of these finding there way to the UK. Suddenly guns are available to criminals at cheap prices and in numbers never seen before in this country. Criminals have see guns now as not just tools for 'a job' but as fashion accessories with all the associated risks that this entails

As I said before, I am against the present UK gun legislation and in the past have been part of a historic recreation society, where I fired muskets and crewed a number of cannon.

SteveUK
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    steveUK;
    The quote: rise in gun crime within the UK stems from the UK's geographical location and its closeness to what once was the former Eastern Bloc - since the fall of the Iron Curtain, Europe as a whole, has been flooded with firearms from the former Eastern Bloc with a large number of these finding there way to the UK. Suddenly guns are available to criminals at cheap prices and in numbers never seen before in this country. Criminals have see guns now as not just tools for 'a job' but as fashion accessories with all the associated risks that this entails

Yes..of course.England has a history..recent,anyway..of being law abiding.What you are living thru over there is precisely why our Founders..transplanted Englishmen..put that all-important Second Amendment in our..God Given Bill of Rights..in case of NEED...

Too bad you didn't have such far seeing men ..'over there'..or perhaps the fortitude to "take your government back.."..to put in place some of the protections we have here...

Naturally,the maggots eat away at freedom here daily..and the day will come we will have to reaffirm the Constitution again...
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steveUK
    As you may guess from my username, I'm from the UK. I don't know if you realize Henry0Reilly that not only is it against the law in the UK to plan the defense of your home, but it is also against the law to carry any implement or weapon for the purpose of self defense - this has been the case since the 1950's.
    Yes, I mentioned that in the second sentence of my post.

The rise in gun crime within the UK stems from the UK's geographical location and its closeness to what once was the former Eastern Bloc - since the fall of the Iron Curtain, Europe as a whole, has been flooded with firearms from the former Eastern Bloc with a large number of these finding there way to the UK. Suddenly guns are available to criminals at cheap prices and in numbers never seen before in this country. Criminals have see guns now as not just tools for 'a job' but as fashion accessories with all the associated risks that this entails

SteveUK

For the sake of argument, I'll grant you that you are correct about the cause of the rise of gun crime in your country. What then is your opinion on the dramatic increase in violent crime down under in Austrailia? They have gone so far as to ban possession of swords without a permit. What's next? Cricket bats? Umbrellas? Blaming the object used to perpetrate violence will not solve the problem.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

Lafayette.gif

Not a member at the auction? Join Gunbroker at this link!
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
    edited November -1
    If judges, lawyers, politicans, activists, etc. all working to pass laws ever stopped to think about it, they might wonder one thing.

If laws really do work in protecting innocent citizens then why do we need so damn many laws? It seems to me that laws worked so well defending citizens, then only a hand-full of those marvelous laws would be needed.

Just one example: "It is unlawful to harm, or to threaten to harm, any innocent, peaceful person." If those laws that the liberals love so much actually worked, it would be a waste of time and energy to go on and on and make more and more complicated and numerous laws.

Maybe someday the liberal, left-wing, social engineers will come to their senses.