In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Paper Trail

rkba4everrkba4ever Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
I was thinking about the 4473's that get filled out at a gun shop. Suppose you buy a rifle, fill out the paperwork, then down the road sell it. Then it gets traded, and ends up in gun shop again and gets bought again - a new 4473 now exists. What are the odds that any one gun has multiple forms filled out on it? Wouldn't this complicate any effort to track down a particular firearm? Would the grabbers just go for the the most up to date form, or just follow from beginning to end rounding up any who previously owned the weapon in question for "illegal transfers"?

Something to ponder.........

Comments

• Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    BATFE has contacted me several times for a trace. They only know a gun went from a manufacturer, to a distributor, to a dealer (me). I then check my records (kept by date) and can tell them who I transferred this gun to. I, and as far as I know, most dealers do not have a computer data base to search for a Serial #. So if this gun did come back to me I would have no way of retrieving this data with out doing a time consuming 'hand' search, which I do not do.
    I have been told the records of out of business dealers are placed in a data base at BATFE, which is not suppose to happen.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:I have been told the records of out of business dealers are placed in a data base at BATFE, which I was not suppose to happen.
    I personally heard the then head of the batf ten years or so ago on 60 minutes talk about 60 million records collected from out of business dealers being data based in computers.
    I also am aware of dealers being camped on for 2-3 days...as agents hand-copy every 4473.
    Bet your * those records are in the database, also.
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    quote:I have been told the records of out of business dealers are placed in a data base at BATFE, which I was not suppose to happen.
    I personally heard the then head of the batf ten years or so ago on 60 minutes talk about 60 million records collected from out of business dealers being data based in computers.
    I also am aware of dealers being camped on for 2-3 days...as agents hand-copy every 4473.
    Bet your * those records are in the database, also.

There is no doubt they are. The point I was making is they are not suppose to be. But we all know the Feds are above the law.[:(!]
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why don't FEDS do something thats really useful to society....like make the Getty Gas station owners fill out a 4473 form for every pot pipe they sell to minors !

Yea thats right.....the Iraq gas station owner in town sells these pot smoking pipes and keeps them right out on the counter.

Where the hell is the BATF !!!!!!
    Abort Cuomo
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was born at night,,,,,,,but not last night !
    Abort Cuomo
  • celsecelse Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If memory serves me that "data base" was something the Democrats tried to push through the House during the Clinton administration. There described reason for using the 4473 forms as data was to test a new super computer (ya right). They tried to run this bill through the House at 4:00 AM in the morning. They failed on that attempt.