In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Louisiana Gun Laws

mickeydeemickeydee Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
I will be moving to Louisiana in the next few months and want to know if anyone can help me with info on the gun laws of that state.More so about laws concerning carring in my car or truck.Have checked gun laws .com is there any other place I can get info?

Comments

• tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Maybe some of the LA members here could reply. Otherwise you can get a fairly inexpensive book from the NRA that details the gun laws in every state. I have been thinking about getting one myself.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • SeanGSeanG Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, I am a Louisiana native that has been living in NY/NJ for 7 years. I am moving back to Louisiana in one week :) I havent been able to have any of my weapons up here in this hell.

Anyway, in Louisiana, the car is considered an extension of your home. So, yes, you can have weapons in your car. After I left, there was a major problem with car jackings, so they made a law that allows car owners to blast car jackers. After that, car jackings almost dissappeared... go figure.

Also, La has concealed carry permits. Any citizen with a clean background that takes the required courses can be eligible for permits.

Enjoy :)

Sean
  • mickeydeemickeydee Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Sean for the Info! I guess I should have asked earlier but anyway Is there a limit on handgun purchases per month? Here in S.Carolina we have the one gun per month limit law.[:(]
  • SeanGSeanG Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I honestly don't know. I'll do a quick search to see if I can find anything. In the meantime, I did find this link defining the concealed carry permit...

http://www.legis.state.la.us/tsrs/RS/40/RS_40_1379_3.htm

(edit) I couldn't find anything. Just call up Elliot's Firearms on Jefferson Highway in Metairie. They will know.

Sean
  • Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun laws in Louisiana are as follows:
    You can carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle. Period. As long as you are not a convicted felon. Your vehicle is considered as "an extension of your domicile." As such, it is totally legal to carry a loaded weapon in your car. And it can be carried in plain sight, under the seat, in the glove box, in the trunk, where ever you want to stash it.

Concealed carry is two ways:
    You can go to the Parish Sheriff's Office and tell them you want a permit to carry concealed. They will run a NCIS check on you, take a photograph, get finger prints, and after you hand them $25 you have the permit. It is good ONLY in the parish that you reside in.

2nd is Statewide Concealed Carry: You have to take a class from a registered/licensed instructor. This is generally the NRA Basic Pistol Course. You have to pass a written exam, then do a shooting phase. Then you contact the State Police and they send you about two pounds of paper to fill out. When you send that in, a check for $140 accompanies it...it is non-refundable. If everything goes okay, you have a state wide permit in about 60 days, that is good for four years. After that, you have to re-certify with an instructor, and another $100 gets you four more years.

As for gun purchases, there is no limit per month/week/year. You just have to fill out the paperwork and wait while the NCIS check goes through.

Hope this info helps...where in Louisiana are you moving?

John

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not shooting at me!
  • bnailonbnailon Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MickeyDee, try www.packing.org. They have a link to LA CCW laws. Good luck.
  • Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark Christian

Yeah..it's sorta neat that it is so easy. Essentially, if you can legally purchase a firearm, you can get a CCW for the parish you reside in. Since I live in a metro area that includes another parish, I found it easier to get one there also (I travel back and forth between the two on a daily basis) rather than risk carrying in one parish and being legal, then crossing the river and being illegal.

However, the statewide permit solved the problem for carrying everywhere I go, in the state that is.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"