In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

completed MO ccw class

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
I went to a local ccw certification class over the weekend. The instructors admitted it was meant for someone who had never handled a gun before and they weren't kidding. The county prosecuting attorney did spend about 1 hour reading and discussing the do and don't aspects. Most of the class was basic gun safety, handling, cleaning, and storing of firearms. I'm not saying that the info wasn't important but it wasn't what I was expecting. The other thing that was surprising was the age/gender makeup of the class. Of the 14 attending, there were 3 women (all wives of other classmates), 1 man around 25-30, 1 man 35-40, and the rest of us men over 50. I didn't get any specific reasons why everyone was planning to get their ccw permit but I didn't see anyone who looked like they were going to be starting gunfights helter skelter.

Mobuck

Comments

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Just as we all have thought. 90% of Americans are good honest and trust worthy people. The other 10% are the ones we have to watch regardless of guns or concealed carry laws, etc.

Are you going to be able to get a concealed carry license as crazy as things are in MO thanks to the extremist anti-gunners?

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    At the present time, I don't really know about actually getting the permit. Some counties are going ahead with the applications with the understanding that if the whole thing falls apart there are no refunds. I waited to see what would happen but a friend was putting a class together and needed a few more people. We hope that it works out ok. One of the things the prosecutor told us was which parts of the regulations they were "prosecuting aggressively". Also, Illinois has already began asking any traffic stop with MO plates if they have a gun. The story goes that if you get caught east of the Miss. river armed you'll go to jail quick.

Mobuck
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Think about getting a FLA, TX or PA license (maybe not PA since they only issue to states that Don't have concealed carry) out of state license because those licenses are honored by MO. So with your out of state license, you could legally carry in MO. Just my opinion, I am not a lawyer nor am I giving legal advice.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    h4ckthish4ckthis Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Also, Illinois has already began asking any traffic stop with MO plates if they have a gun. The story goes that if you get caught east of the Miss. river armed you'll go to jail quick.

Guess they've never heard of "peaceable journey" laws.

www.packing.org

Good reference site on CCW issues. In VA you're not required to "declare" on a traffic stop, but there is a note in your DMV record that says you have a CCW permit.

On a routine traffic stop, there shouldn't be any reason to ask if you have a weapon or probable cause to search your vehicle. But you have to decide if you want to risk it. Best advice, if you're going to carry out-of-state, go ahead and lock it in the trunk. That way, at least you'll have your firearm, but you (hopefully) won't have to worry about some local yokle with a burr up his backside.

"That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state..."
    Article 13
    Virginia Bill of Rights
  • Options
    capnbillcapnbill Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took my ccw class in March and applied for a permit with the Butler co. sheriff on Mar. 26. He said that it would take a max. of 45 days to complete the background checks!?
    So, this coming Monday, it'll be 45 days. I'll let you know what happens.
    Bill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Finally got the application process in progress. Already hit another snag. Went into sheriff's office and spent 15-20 minutes with fingerprints and paperwork. THEN the deputy looks at the trainer's certification and says"Ugh, that's not the right form". OK I'll get the right form asap. THEN he looks at the Postal Money Order for the background check and says"Ugh, that's not the right amount". I referred him to the notice posted in the foyer which specifies the amount I brought. THEN he says"Ugh, we changed the amount a few days back". It's beginning to look like a stall job to me.

Mobuck
  • Options
    capnbillcapnbill Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to the sheriff's office last tuesday (May 18th) and after a 10 minute wait (guess they had to load the xerox machine) there it was; my ccw permit!!!

Bill(Butler county, Mo.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I finally got everything they wanted last Friday. Also dealt with a different deputy which made a big difference. I should be fixed up soon.

Mobuck