In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

First time poster

wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
I have been a member of GB for some time now, and in addition to being a participant in the auctions, I always take the time to stop by and peruse the forums. I have read many posts / replies. In reading those posts, I've been educated, entertained, enlightened, and enraged. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading many of the posts, and up until now, I have just been an observer.

A lot of the same subjects are covered in numerous posts. If I had to give this one a title/subject, it would be, "Is there any hope for America?" I believe there is.

I belive the hope lies in our young people. Now wait before you say anything. I read the papers and watch the 6:00 news. I see what a good number of young people are involved in. Gangs, drugs, and crime have a hold on many of them, and a lot of the others are so wrapped up into Nintendo, Xbox, or the entertainment industry, that they are oblivious to what is going on around them.

I have many friends that are like-minded (pro-liberty, conservative, etc.) I've heard many comments like, "I don't know why people would want to bring up kids in the society we are living in today." The point I am trying to make is this; we post on these forums, we exercise our rights, we contribute to pro-liberty organizations, and some of us volunteer our time to grassroots organizations that are fighting to keep / restore our freedoms. How many of us are passing on our ideals, traditions, beliefs to our young people?

Many of us are doing what we can while we are here, but eventually, if enough time passes, there will come a time when we will not be here. Who will take the reins when we are gone? It will be our kids, our nieces and nephews, and our grandkids. But we need to do more than just "take a kid out shooting." That's fine, I do it with my kids, and I'm certain many of you do. But while we are doing that, we also need to be teaching them what they are not being taught by "the system". We need to pass on to them what it cost to get us to where we are today. We also need to remind them that the struggle for liberty is ongoing, and in all probability we be a never-ending process. As long as there is liberty, there will always be those who want to destroy it. It is incremental, and the erosion has not happened overnight, but if we continue on the path that we are on, there is coming a day when freedom as we know it will cease to exist, and I can think of nothing worse than to have our young people look us in the eyes and ask, "Why did you let this happen?" or "Why didn't you tell me about this?"

We need to raise a generation of young people who will continue with our efforts. If we do not, then I am afraid that hope is lost.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Agreed in part and welcome to the forums.

No time this morning for a proper post. It is my short time for cool-down, coffee and get ready for work.

I agree wholeheartedly with your postulation that we need to raise the young generation to "carry the torch", so to speak. I am not ascribing this to you, but I believe that it even more important for the current generation to get things either right, or on the path to being right.

With each generation that passes, more and more inroads are made into basic constitutional principals, more and more erosions of individual liberty occur and less and less Americans are even aware of any of this, let alone care enough to do anything if they are aware.

We are living witness to the fall of this once great free-society. We are passing into an era of "all-powerful, overreaching, predatory "global/globalist". governance.

Are we going to leave this to our children? Are we even able to stop it?

Time will tell and I am not overly optimistic.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to discourage you or be pessimistic... but realize that whatever seeds of freedom, courage, or liberty that you plant within our youth will be constantly under attack by the socio-liberal educators and the degenerate government-media complex.

Even if your children do survive to be functional critical thinkers, they will be far outnumbered by mindless and bewildered drones who never had an example of true freedom in their life and whose parents never gave a damn.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    WW, my thoughts exactly! Thank you.
  • triple223taptriple223tap Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    " they will be far outnumbered by mindless and bewildered drones who never had an example of true freedom in their life and whose parents never gave a damn."

They're called "rednecks".
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by triple223tap
    " they will be far outnumbered by mindless and bewildered drones who never had an example of true freedom in their life and whose parents never gave a damn."

Either you are pretty stupid or you are just plain ignorant.

Anyone I know qualifying as "redneck" knows more about the constitution than you proport to know.

People like you call people that are financially challenged "rednecks".

What you SHOULD have said was "They are called irresponsible morons"

THAT would have been a CORRECT description.

Wise up.
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Originally posted by triple223tap

tripletap,

Do you where the term "redneck" has it's origins? It ws used to desribe farmers or any individual who worked outdoors. When they were exposed to constant sunlight, the skin on their necks from the solar exposure gave the skin a red, leathery appearance. Hence the term "redneck".

By the way, Afghanistan? What unit?
  • chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spend a lot of time with my son trying to help him negotiate the drivel he is being fed via our public school system. Between DARE and sitting "Criss cross applesauce" (We sat "Indian Style," remember?) it is a lot of work. Almost every day he and I have a conversation about one thing or another that ends with the caveat, "We do not talk about this in school."

That being said, I still do have a lot of hope and optimism for this country and the human race. I grew up in a house with mindless koolaid swilling idiots for parents. I got my education via friends who did not and by eventually leaving home when I was 14. My son is going to be one of the kids that will reach some of the other kids. It takes time, far more time than any of us really have patience for, but the truth is rather persistent no matter what is done to stifle it. If that were not the case, Hitler would still be running Europe and Stalinist Russia would still be in existence.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Do you where the term "redneck" has it's origins? It ws used to desribe farmers or any individual who worked outdoors. When they were exposed to constant sunlight, the skin on their necks from the solar exposure gave the skin a red, leathery appearance. Hence the term "redneck".

Have never heard many people that are aware of this,.......it is correct, and medically called "Poikiloderma of Civatte".
    I am far from what is traditionally labeled as a "redneck", but I AM one![;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marc1301:quote:quote: wsfiredude

Do you where the term "redneck" has it's origins? It ws used to desribe farmers or any individual who worked outdoors. When they were exposed to constant sunlight, the skin on their necks from the solar exposure gave the skin a red, leathery appearance. Hence the term "redneck".
    quote:quote: Marc1301
    Have never heard many people that are aware of this,.......it is correct, and medically called "Poikiloderma of Civatte".
    I am far from what is traditionally labeled as a "redneck", but I AM one!You can breath a little easier if being called a Redneck bothers you. What you refer to is not what wsfiredude definition refered to which when applied to the arms as well is also known as a "Farmers Tan". "Poikiloderma of Civatte" is a dermatological problem that can be caused by the sun but does not qualify one to wear the traditional handle of "Redneck".
    edited November -1
    WW,......doesn't bother me at all, even if I was called that![:D]
    I do have the "farmers tan", includes the arms, and upper chest, as I wear a ton of v-neck polo type shirts.
    One dermatologist told me I might have PC (for short), but said they were so close, it was hard to tell, unless one has not had much sun exposure, and still presented those signs.
    Either way, down here, they consider them the same it seems. Leathery appearance, and a permanent reddish tan basically. The skin under your chin, which escaped the majority of exposure, is normal, and lighter.
    I have spent my life in the sun since I was a kid.
    So far, no skin cancer,......I used to get almost as dark as a Mexican![;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    LT,......doesn't bother me at all, even if I was called that![:D]
    I do have the "farmers tan", includes the arms, and upper chest, as I wear a ton of v-neck polo type shirts.
    One dermatologist told me I might have PC (for short), but said they were so close, it was hard to tell, unless one has not had much sun exposure, and still presented those signs.
    Either way, down here, they consider them the same it seems. Leathery appearance, and a permanent reddish tan basically. The skin under your chin, which escaped the majority of exposure, is normal, and lighter.
    I have spent my life in the sun since I was a kid.
    So far, no skin cancer,......I used to get almost as dark as a Mexican![;)]

A big oops on this one Mark. I didn't weigh in on it. It was Wagon Wheel.[:o)]
    edited November -1
    Oooopppppssss,......you're right![:0]
    I changed it.[;)]
    edited November -1
    I changed it.[;)]

Hey, at least you are confusing me with someone intelligent and who posts good stuff.[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    I changed it.[;)]

Hey, at least you are confusing me with someone intelligent and who posts good stuff.[:D]

How could it be any other way LT![;)]