In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Yugo AK M-90 shoulder stock/mag laws

SeanGSeanG Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
Hello,
I purchased a Yugo M-90 in about 1988. There was alot of contaversy about what type of stock this weapon could have, since it was brought into the country before the ban, but had not been transferred from the warehouse to Mitchell Arms before the ban went into effect. So, these weapons were sold with cheap, thumbhole, plastic "sporter" stocks.

I've seen a few M-90s for sale recently which have the original stocks on them (shoulder stock and pistol grip). Is it now legal to install the original style stocks on these weapons? Can they legally have a magazine holding more than 10 rounds? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

Comments

• Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, and Yes. That despicable law reads, "A weapon MANUFACTURED AFTER September 13th, 1994..." for purposes of deciding what is post-ban. It does not read "A weapon SOLD AFTER September 13th 1994...". As for the Mag part, even a post ban can legally accept a 11+ round magazine, unless you live in one of the red commie states or the left coast, to which state laws remedy that alleged "problem".

A question for you all; Why are the politicians of places like Kalifornia, Taxachusetts, New Jerky, and Marxland so adamant about getting rid of all the guns? Anyone?

Under the guise of crime control, they are instituting people control, for once their plans come into fruition, they need you to be disarmed against it, and ultimately, the politicians, themselves.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Remember how many seats were lost after AWB passage? Vae victis!
    Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If the weapon is a 1988 import, the 89 law doesn't effect it, either, right?

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Seriously, why would anyone bother with these imports, anyway? The laws surrounding them appear to be a bigger pain in the * than the 1994 edicts.

And so much for the concept that an American law abiding citizen should be able to own the firearm of their choice.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information, fellas!

Uuuugh. It must have been 1990 then, not 1988. What a mess surrounding that whole thing. Does anyone know where I can get a good solid wood thumbhole for this? I have found an attachment that sits on the back of the receiver to accept decent "thumbhole" stocks. Any suggestions? Maybe I should break it down and sell it as a parts kit... :/

Sean
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok... a year later...

All of the info was great and thanks again. I understand that this rifle was released after the modifications, and that if enough American-made parts on it, it would no longer be considered an import, and I could a pistol-grip, etc.

But, does the sunset of the Crime Bill allow for any changes to this gun? It doesn't need the extra parts now, right?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Keep it American, non-full-auto, and you shouldn't have a problem.

This can be trickier than you think, too.

Death to Tyrants!!!

"Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, gunphreak!

By the way, Mark, yes, I do have the Mitchell certificate and, no, it does not have the scope mount.

So, I can put a pistol grip and folding stock on this. Interesting. Maybe I can find some at a gun show or here online. If I buy from a dealer, how do I know where it was made, and does it matter?

Also, about import numbers for these... I have a chart for the Yugo imports through Mitchell Arms...

Break down of Yugoslavain AK/RPK/M-76's

1,400 7.62x 39 Folders
    700 RPK
    280 M-76 Countersnipers
    1,120 .308 M-70s Standard Model
    3,500 7.62 x 39 M 70 Standard Model

Pre bans imported prior to 1994 were 2000.
    Here is the breakdown:
    400 7.62 x 39 folders
    200 RPK (40) in .308) and (160 in 7.62 x 39)
    80 M76 8mm Countersnipers
    320 .308 M70 Standard Model
    1000 7.62 x 39 M 70 Standard Model

Post ban M-90 sold after 1994 there were a total of 5,000. Here is the breakdown:
    1000 7.62 x 39 folders
    500 RPK (400 in 7.62 x 39) and (100 in .308)
    200 M-76 8mm Countersnipers
    2,500 M70 7.62 x 39 Standard Model
    800 M70 .308 Standard Model

So, there were 400 of my versions (Yugo, AK47, M-90, folder) that came in prior to 1994? How did the pre-94 and post-94's differ? Were the internals of mine changed so that it could never be full-auto? Not that I would convert anything, I'm just curious about my gun.

Once again, thanks for any info!

Sean
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, its a 1991 purchase. I really thought it was earlier. I found the certificate. I guess it still has to abide by the parts rule to keep it domestic. I'm still not convinced the American parts come into play, especially since the sunset of the Crime Bill. We should agree that the parts replacement should be done, though, to shoot it legally?

It would be nice to get a final answer from the ATF on this issue. There are still some grey-area issues I think.

Also, would there be a market for 100 solid resin thumbhole M90 stocks? Would it be too heavy? How much would one pay for it? I can possibly get a prototype made.

Thanks,

Sean
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The expiration of the "94" cosmetic ban, still has nothing to do with the "89" import ban, which is still in full effect. The rules are still the same.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The '89 import ban doesn't prevent us from making our AK's and SKS rifles with folding stocks, pistol grips, flash suppressors, bayonet mounts or grenade launchers.... all it says is that these rifles can only have so many parts in them that are imported. Keep your parts American, and there should be no problems.

Death to Tyrants!!!

"Followers of Christ, be armed."