In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Texas CCW in New Mexico

bnailonbnailon Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
I have a valid CCW license in Texas and plan a vehicle trip to NM in the near future. I know there is currently no reciprocity between NM and Texas--they are working on the age limit issue in NM, but according to packing .org, New Mexico treats automobiles as your extended domain [resident and non-resident alike] and therefore, carry of a "concealed" handgun does not apply. Whatever you can do in your home, you can legally do in your vehicle.

Therefore, can I legally carry my weapon in NM in my vehicle as long as I don't get out of the car with it?

That's the way I read it. It would be so much easier if they treated the CCW like the driver's license. But, there's always the Californias and the Massachusetts' to screw everything up.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:New Mexico treats automobiles as your extended domain [resident and non-resident alike]
    If this is correct, it sounds like you are right. But I do NOT know the legal aspects of this. Can you email the state police in NM and ask them? If you get a positive answer, print a copy and carry it with you....just in case.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • bnailonbnailon Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, pickenup. I will try and get around to e-mailing the NM State Police and asking them that question.
    edited November -1
    Update on carrying in NM with a valid TX CCW. Received an e-mail from the NM Department of Public Safety. It's ok to carry in the car in NM, according to DPS Communications Director. I will have a copy of that e-mail correspondence with me, as well. Thanks pickenup for the suggestion.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear it worked out.
    I have a Colorado CCW and sometimes travel to NM. Since we do not have reciprocity with NM either, I was wondering if you could send me a copy of that email. If not, that is OK, I will go through the motions next time I head down that way. Have a good trip.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    Send me your e-mail address and I will forward a copy to you. It wouldn't allow me to copy my e-mail response to your message box. Or if you prefer, contact Peter Olson, Communications Director at the NM DPS at the following e-mail address:

polson@dps.state.nm.us

Thanks again for the tip.
  • hksrulehksrule Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I happen to live in New Mexico in Albuquerque. I know that the police here consider your car an extension of your home. The law here is that in order to carry a concealed weapon, you must be at least 25 years old. Why? I have no idea. Its BS. Anyway...it is perfectly legal here to possess a weapon in your vehicle. By the way...at the busiest or time of most crime in our city, we only have 70 police officers on duty. Albuquerque is very spread out. The chance that you would see more than one police officers at any given time would be rare. We are seriously understaffed as far as they go so I wouldn't worry about running into trouble.

WordBorn!!