In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Highball or someone else in the know

brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
I have read many times on your post when you've said "we should have been in the streets in '68" Im just wondering why you think it didnt happen? I wasnt even thought about then(im 28 yrs old)so im just curious about your thoughts and others here.

Do you think that if the people wouldve had the Internet back then they wouldve went to the streets? I have a feeling the vast majority of people in 68 had no idea about the legislation in question. If im not mistaken there were only 3 TV channels then and no 24 hr news media or C-span that might allow the people to see it coming. Im not critizing anyone who was alive in 68 for not going into the streets...Im just curious as to maybe why it didnt happen.

Another thought i have is that the Internet has been a great tool to use against big brother in getting the word out to all who will listen. It worked on me[:)]. In a sense the internet cannot be controlled at all and i dont think govt. ever thought it would be used so effectively by us people. .02

Comments

• kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    Everyone was on drugs in the sixties [:o)]

Apparently the people more so than the legislators.
  • brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kyplumber
    Everyone was on drugs in the sixties [:o)]

Apparently the people more so than the legislators.

I never thought of that. I would say that there might be some truth in it maybe. But i wouldnt think drug use then would be any more prevalent than it is now.
  • 45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here it in a nut shell. They did it during a time of crisis and emotional duress. Bobby Kennedy was killed. He was going revive Camelot. He was the golden boy of the tiime. When he was killed, EVERYONE was affected. So when the legislation came down the pike for a new far reaching restriction, nobody argued the point. In fact, many cheered for it. Not only were we losing young men in Viet Nam, but we were losing our brightest in the back kitchens of America.

If you look at when MAJOR gun restrictions are passed, it is allways at a time of tragity. When the American public are at their weakest and most vunerable to those in power. They want someone to take charge and save them. So the Government is more than happy to do that. Much to our dismay later when the shock wears off and we begin to understand just out how far reaching those new policies really are.
  • brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 45long
    Here it in a nut shell. They did it during a time of crisis and emotional duress. Bobby Kennedy was killed. He was going revive Camelot. He was the golden boy of the tiime. When he was killed, EVERYONE was affected. So when the legislation came down the pike for a new far reaching restriction, nobody argued the point. In fact, many cheered for it. Not only were we losing young men in Viet Nam, but we were losing our brightest in the back kitchens of America.

If you look at when MAJOR gun restrictions are passed, it is allways at a time of tragity. When the American public are at their weakest and most vunerable to those in power. They want someone to take charge and save them. So the Government is more than happy to do that. Much to our dismay later when the shock wears off and we begin to understand just out how far reaching those new policies really are.

Kinda like the Patriot Act of recent i guess.
  • 45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I flat don't know.
    It passed, and nothing changed for a period. Then I was gone for awhile, courtesy of uncle sam. It seemed so far away, at the time...When I got back, it was accomplished, people were filling out 4473s, and the mail-order business was over for guns.

Even then, I fully understood the anomaly of `fighting for freedom'.and coming home to even less of it.

Nobody wanted to talk about it ..they grumbled about it, but I was considered to be a `communist' ..I cannot count the number of times I was called that for pointing out the end result of government intrusions into the free flow of guns.

As already pointed out, the entire nation was sickened by political gun violence ..and most just rolled rather then object.
    It takes a singularly strong individual to stare into the face of overwhelming opposition and remain unaffected ..so the gun controllers won the day.

Most folks just did not consider the tenets of the 1968 GCA to be that onerous. They mostly were incapable of understanding the long range damage it has done.

Even today, most STILL do not understand the harm involved in allowing government to database every single weapon in America.