In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

To All NRA Bashers

dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
I'd like to know why everybody bashes the NRA. While the candidate that they actively supported last year did favor the assault weapon ban, he was the only real choice. If the NRA had put all its effort into getting a pro-gun third party elected and got 100% support of all its members, that would only be about 4 million people. It would take those votes from Bush and hand them over to Al Gore. Al Gore would make the assault weapons ban worse, encourage further UN restrictions (which Bush opposed) that apply to the United States, and we would have a leader who correctly claims to be anti-gun. Now we have a leader that claims to be pro-gun (an advantage in itself), and who is at least partially pro-gun.

By boycotting the NRA it makes it look like we are giving up the fight. The media will point out to the public that pro-gun people are giving up because membership to the NRA is down. To add your name to the "official" list of progun people, it is worth the $25 bucks a year (or whatever it costs). I'll probably join as many groups as I can, but I am an NRA member if for if nothing else, name recognition, and to get the "official" list of pro-gun people up.

Comments

• tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I totally agree and as long as the NRA is doing even a little bit of net good I will continue to be a member. If I get disgusted with the NRA I will force myself to find the time to get active and change the course of the NRA because it is structured much like our government in that it is basically run by elected board members who make the decisions. And it can be changed simply by voting in board members who agree with your idea of what changes need to be made. Or become a board member yourself.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    I do NOT agree at all. IF the NRA and THE PEOPLE in General,in a charge LED by such groups as the NRA,voted for a even somewhat viable candidate for ANY office.Well duh! Do you not think that the elected official is going to take those 4 million votes or whatever seriously????????If those newbies make something stronger than those votes COULD be turned DIRECTLY against them,.They KNOW that and,IF they DO NOT,well them WE are NOT doing OUR job.Keep it up,keep on living the 2 party lie,and I will stand beside you when the end does come,but I am afraid that it most assurudly WILL come.They have you all SO worried about wasting your votes....NO VOTE IS A WASTE<EVER!!!EVER!!<NEVER,NEVER is a vote a waste,it ,they are ALL counted and thought about,ultimatly they write some off.They will however understand the POWER of a mass of voters that are sticking together and gaining momentum.
    edited November -1
    trfox, As I have stated before friend,I was a member and teacher with the nRA before the younger folks here new what it was.I did not take my decision to leave the organization lightly.Get things changed,let me know,I,ll be there!
    As far as bashing the NRA......well it sure has got you talking and others as well.That is a GOOD thing.If the bashing gets some to get things changed,thats even better.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NRA claimes to be a pro gun, pro second amendment organization-yet not only do they support someone who supports gun control, they support him enthusiastically. I am sure many people believed that George Bush was pro gun, because the NRA said he was. If the NRA really wants to be effective, they should not be selling their endorsements so cheap.
    Furthermore, they hve stood silent on GWs anti gun, and anti constitutional positions. They keep talking about "renewing the clinton assault weapon ban", but never say anything about the fact that the person who can renew the ban, George Bush, supports the renewal. When the arming pilots business came up, not once did the NRA mention the fact that GW was opposed to arming pilots. They mentioned Minetta, and a few other cronies, but never mentioned the fact that George Bush is opposed to arming pilots. So why should George Bush modify his anti gun stance, if the NRA does not do anything to challenge him? The NRAs silence with respect to GWs anti gun positions is essentially a green light for George Bush to do whatever he wishes.
    The new pet project that the NRA has undertook, challenging McCain Feingolds incumbent protection bill, is interesting to say the least. They criticize McCain, Feingold, and all the other anti 1st amendment folks who promoted the legislation, BUT NOT ONCE HAVE I HEARD THEM SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE FACT THAT GEORGE BUSH IS THE MOST RESPONSIBLE, BECAUSE HE SIGNED THE LEGISLATION INTO LAW!!
    I heard recently that the NRA is throwing their support behind Arlen Spector in his upcoming primary. Arlen Spector is not pro gun-the person who is challenging Arlen Spector is. So why are they supporting Spector and not Toomey? I would think a "gun rights" group would want the strongest candidate on the gun issue, but the NRA has proven time and time again that the best gun candidate is not necessarily the candidate they support.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow... good posts guys. I'm almost sorry I joined.. almost. I get the magazine, and they are constantly showing ads for semi automatic assault rifles. I freely admit that they are not the best, however once I get my 2 years in I'm voting for who my representitives are. The NRA has too much potential to be wasted. I'm going to send them messages with my membership number to let them know which of their actions I don't approve of are. Maybe if all of us use our membership or prevoius membership numbers and tell them why we are with the NRA or why we quit they will listen to us. After all, as somebody else said they really are in it for the money.
    edited November -1
    dsmith,I like your attitude.It really seems you are listening and YOU (and others like you,) are why I continue to post here and elsewhere.We NEED you as much as youu need us,TELL the NRA just how many are out in the wings here.That we are just to disgusted to be a part of them,but we WOULD support them if things change.Listen,to all sides,hear what they are saying,do the research and NEVER,NEVER give up the Fight!!!!!!!!You will find that the NRA does not give one wit about those who have left them...Sad isn't it?? As I have said,I USED to be a NRA Safe Hunter Instuctor,in two states.....as was my Dad,and my neighbor and one of my Dads best friends....what a waste....they didn't sem to give a rip when we ALL left. Still don't ,that aside I encourage you to fight,FIGHT- FIGHT!!!!!!!!! never quit,the price is just too high.....L.H.
    edited November -1
    best attitude I have seen recently dsmith. Maybe we should all write a letter to the NRA and tell them how we feel instead of just telling each other.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
    edited November -1
    GOOD idea fox! Wanna write it??[}:)][:D][:D][B)]But seriously it is an excellant idea,if a bunch were sent in together,from members to us that have left,it just MAY carry some weight!?
    edited November -1
    yeah, longhunter I have been thinking about writing and posting such a letter here for a long time and asking every interested party to sign and mail to me and I would mail to the NRA with all the letters in one box, just as I will do with the letters to the alternative policital parties. I am willing to do that, but it would be a lot more effective if everyone wrote their own letter and mailed it to me and I will bundle them together and mail to the NRA. It would be hard for the NRA to ignore a bundle of 30-40 letters clearly stating what the writer sees as failures with the NRA. But I am still working on trying to compose a more "perfect" letter to those alternative political parties. My orginal one, after many readings and advice, was way to imperfect. Plus I want to get that guidance from those two policitcal science professors from Kansas University so that I don't make any statements or suggestions in that letter that make me look like a naive fool. Because that is one way to lose a lot of supporters. so in the meantime I am feeling a little guilty about getting the interest of you, Wolf, Pickenup and several of you other guys (you know who you are) interested in the letter and then I suddenly put everything on hold. I am anxious to post the final letter (after hearing one last round of comments from everyone) and get this project off the ground and out of that all too familiar "talking stage only". But after that I will compose and post an open letter to the NRA for everyone to print, sign and mail to my mailbox (as soon as I get one).

• jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    First of all, most points of consideration on this subject have been covered previously, so I do not wish to re-hash my anti NRA point of view. (scroll down in the gunrights menu to "settling the NRA debate"
    And to dsmith, you are free to do as you wish with your $$$$, but many have already voiced their dissatisfaction, or should I say attempted to voice it, to the NRA, and they do not care. They refuse to listen. If you can get somebody to listen, and tell them why you are displeased, they respond, "will you be renewing you membership?" My response,"weren't you listening?" Of course not! That is all they care about, membership DUES!
  • LCShivelyLCShively Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Politics is a dirty business.
    We should be able to elect good men, send them to Washington, trust they will do whats right, and thats that. But it doesn't seem to end up working that way, so we keep calling, and writing, and voting.
    We don't give up.
    We don't quit.
    We don't cry "wa wa" take our ball and go home like some spoiled brat.
    And we don't quite voting. ( I hope)

Same goes for the NRA. Your voice will not be heard if you are not a member!

So, join, write, call, vote, be active, that is the only way to effect change.

If you cry "wa wa" and take your ball and go home, I don't blame the NRA for ignoring you, after all, their job is to listen to their membership, not their "non membership"

Remember what the old guy said, "we must all hang together, or surely we will all hang separately!"

I am not sorry to say, you guys that complain, but won't participate, make me sick.

You may flame away now, but if you aren't a member of NRA, GOA, or some other effective Second Amendments rights organization, I really don't care what you have to say.

Lance
    Member NRA, GOA, MCRGO.
    edited November -1
    GOA and RMGO is where I put my money and effort, NO LONGER will I waste it with the NRA. I have to work way too hard to get it. If the NRA had my work ethic, we would have never had the need for these other groups! I will piss and moan about those pathetic slackers all I want! When they realize that $$$ sent to them are hard earned, maybe then they will try to make the $$$ they get, hard earned. Now by their actions, which is how you judge anyone, I would say that they would rather perpetuate the problem, to keep their lucritive salaries.
    Again, just go to the thread where all of this was discussed already, and see if you still fall on the same side of the line.
    "Settling the NRA dispute"
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LCShively
    , I don't blame the NRA for ignoring you, after all, their job is to listen to their membership, not their "non membership"

I am not sorry to say, you guys that complain, but won't participate, make me sick.

When I was a member, I voiced my objection to some of their policies-most of the time they would not even respond. When you get down to it, as an NRA member you either accpet what the brass says will be the position of the NRA, or you dont. The idea that the NRA listens to their 4 million members is laughable.

And it is always amuing how NRA members think "participation" in the gun rights movement, means membership in the NRA. The guys who are not in the NRA, do more to preserve gun rights than any NRA member does. NRA members generally think being a member of that compromising organization is enough.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With total disrespect for those who are for viktim disarmament, perhaps it is time to endorse a new ideologue. A strict interpretation of the Constitution that leads the way for the rest of us, and disregards all other laws running contrary to them.

This is not a suggestion, only an alternative. When the Second Amendment is repealed, what are you going to do? I would hope you disregard the repealment, keep your arms, and use it!!

Politically Correct- (adj.) pol-LIT-i-kal-LEE Kor-REKT. 1. Tyranny with manners. 2. A adjective used to describe a social policy that is otherwise repulsive or repugnant to society at large, in an attempt to normalize it into mainstream society by threat of political force. See also (politically corrupt)

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Remember how many seats were lost after AWB passage? Vae victis!
    Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TRFOX...

Your "quote" about the invention of guns and women being able to defend themselves and homes is right on! However, Ms Feinstein has a concealed carry permit, and Hillary has Secret Service protection. Can we then assume that all the liberal fems in Washington also have some sort of security assigned to them? And really, what are the chances of one of them getting mugged/assaulted?

Just for everyone's info...when Sharon Stone got married and moved to San Francisco, she came out and publicly stated that she and her husband were getting rid of the guns in the house. Why anyone would make an announcement like that, and on television, is beyond me. Anyway, less than two months passed before they were burglarized! Serves her right.

Thanks for letting me vent, guys....

John

An armed society is a polite society.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Shively;
    What a pathetic excuse for 'intelligent thought'..that post supposedly is.
    You keep right on electing corrupt,venal little men to represent you..they don't HAVE to uphold the Constitution..because folks like you keep electing them ANYWAY !!!
    The NRA has signed on to EVERY gun control law since 1933...and you send money to them ANYWAY !!!
    You have the nerve to call ME a spoiled brat ???

Little fellow...I am standing squarely on the Constitution.Where are YOU standing ?

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
  • vikingsfaninmivikingsfaninmi Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is truly a great country that not only allows us to have this dialogue, but also encourages it and protects our right to have it! But, in case you've forgotten, it's the Second Amendment that guarantees our First Amendment rights. And, there is only one organization that has fought to protect our Second Amendment rights for the past 130+ years, the NRA.

Like this great country, the NRA is not perfect. Like this country, the NRA has had highs and lows throughout it's history. During highs, we lull ourselves with a false sense of security and become apathetic. Unfortunately, it takes lows to shake us from our apathy and motivate us to take action. Whether you believe the NRA to currently be at a "high" or a "low", take action now! If you believe in the high theory, then renew your membership and recruit a new member. If you subscribe to the low theory, contact the NRA and let them know what it will take for you to join, join another organization, or form your own. Either way, take action. It is only through action that we can bring about change.

I am a life member of the NRA. Do I expect them to reply to my every letter, email and phone call? No. I would rather they use precious resources to support the beliefs and opinions I shared in those letters, emails and phone calls. The response I want is their support of my beliefs and opinions. When they stop supporting my beliefs and opinions, I'll take action to promote the changes I want.

I don't wait for the NRA to tell me what their opinion is on a piece of legislation. I contact them and tell them what my opinion is! If I wait until after the NRA has taken actions that are against my beliefs and then choose to share my beliefs, then I have no one to blame but myself for their actions.

It boggles my mind how many people sit on their #@$%# and complain about how their company, school, city, or child's little league is run, yet when push comes to shove, they refuse to take action!

Though imperfect, I will continue to support the NRA. I will not be lulled into a false sense of security and I will continue to act to ensure that the NRA does support my beliefs. And, if every the time comes when I feel they no longer support my beliefs, I will double my efforts until they once again support my beliefs.

Stop whining about what the NRA doesn't do. Stop getting defensive when someone challenges your memebrship in the NRA. Get off your #@$%# and take action!
    edited November -1
    hehehehehhe.....

Spend some quality time investigating your precious "NRA" before you throw stones at people who really DO believe that the Second Amendment means EXACTLY what it says...

You know,all those people at the top of NRA saying.." If the nra dosen't defend your rights..they will be gone.."..What a crock.

The Second Amendment stil works because..it would be too expensive yet in terms of blood to go out and gather them up..

edited November -1
    roger that, vikingsfaninmi.

edited November -1
    quote:but also encourages it and protects our right to have it! But, in case you've forgotten, it's the Second Amendment that guarantees our First Amendment rights. And, there is only one organization that has fought to protect our Second Amendment rights for the past 130+ years, the NRA.

Protecting my right to say...???? I can't say how I really feel, because I can do no good if I disappear.
    ....only org that has fought.... let's compare, if we fought wars like the NRA fights the gunrights battle, well, the term Vietnam comes to mind.
    quote:Unfortunately, it takes lows to shake us from our apathy and motivate us to take action.
    How do you explain the present situation. Freedom at an all time low, apathy at an all time high. Your point of view must be through rose colored glasses.
    quote:I would rather they use precious resources to support the beliefs and opinions
    You really have been living in a cave for the last century. The NRA spent far more $ than the dues I sent them many times, trying to get me back. Let me elaborate so you don't misunderstand, I send in my dues, NRA slackers buckle to pressure and compromise my rights away in MY name, I get angry, let membership expire, NRA sends a half of a tree worth of mail, tree paid for by you, postage paid for by you, trying to get me back. Again I point out that they "spent" more money trying to get me back in the fold, than I ever sent them. I would estimate that I paid in around $250 over the span of 20 years, and I would imagine that they spent $1500 trying to get me to stay/come back, which worked several times at those "low" points you speak of. I have since opened my eyes and come to the understanding that there are many, much better avenues to take in keeping my gunrights, than wasting money with those liberals in conservatives clothing. Yea, they spend their money wisely.
    quote:I don't wait for the NRA to tell me what their opinion
    That's a good thing, you'd be voting for anti-gun politicians 80% of the time if you listened to them.
    quote:It boggles my mind how many people sit on their #@$%# and complain about how their company, school, city, or child's little league is run, yet when push comes to shove, they refuse to take action!

If you consider joining the NRA "taking action", then you are part of the problem. You are an "enabler". You can write, email, call your representatives without supporting a group that is a double agent for the other side. Support a no compromise group and maybe things will change. Why should we ever compromise? Try asking that question of the NRA folks... if you like double talk by forked tongues.
    quote:I will not be lulled into a false sense of security
    Your support for this group is more than sufficient evidence that you have precisely been "lulled into a false sense of security". They did it to you. Wake up and look at their abissmal record. 20,000 gun laws and counting. Now that is stellar defense of the second, which is clear and requires NO COMPROMISE, and money well spent.
    quote:Stop whining about what the NRA doesn't do.
    I should take your advice here. It would be far easier and much less time consuming to talk about what they do accomplish. But on second thought, it's never been MY nature to do the EASY thing!
    quote:Get off your #@$%# and take action!
    I am getting far more accomplished on my own, and by helping groups who understand what the 2nd means, than you will ever get done with a group that has brainwashed you into believing that they really are in it to save your rights, not perpetuate the issue to maintain job security, with a few token gestures like saving a kid's t-shirt from the bowels of the all consuming govt. Sheesh, and I thought they were useless. You sure proved me wrong. THANK YOU NRA THANK YOU, for saving that kids shirt, now I know my gunrights are safe. I bow down to your strength and courage.

ATTN:EVERYBODY in the NRA. Dump this worthless good for nothing group immediately before they sacrifice our gunrights on the alter of tyranny in YOUR name just to keep a very lucritive salary! Take your 4 million membership to GOA, and get personally involved and DO something in the bloodless fight, like VOTE, write, email, call your reps. Flood their offices with with our beliefs. We are 90 million strong! We need to get out of the easy chair and let them know that we are no longer apathetic! or we will surely be in a bloody fight, (thanks in large part to this group you worship) the fight for our lives, our freedom, and our children's future!
  • vikingsfaninmivikingsfaninmi Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me simplify my earlier posting.....

I don't care whether you support the NRA, GOA, Hell's Angels or any other organization of your chosing. Stop whining about what your organization does and does not do. Stop whining about what some other organization does and does not do. Take action. Write, call, email, visit your elected officials. Then write, call, email and visit your family, friends, neighbors and coworkers. Encourage them to do the same. And finally, vote.

If only 1% of the energy spent on whining was applied to direct action, this country would be a better place.
    edited November -1
    OK look........to all those that continue to BLINDLY follow the NRA.
    Well...sheep....sheeple...whatever comes to mind.If you do support the NRA and if you DO NOT report and try to fight what they have been doing or not doing lately,and howmany EX- NRA members,some 20 year folks,some instructors etc.Well the you ARE Blindly folowing them.To those ignorant little lids that think we are just whining,well duh!,Don't YOU think that just MAYBE we have ALLREADY Tries to change that pathetic excuse of an organization from WITHIN?? DUH!!! Think about it.....It WILL NOT change.It IS the Good ole boys club....No disrespect intended and those of you all that know me,know that I do my best not to insult anyone,but to attempt to say that the veterans of the cause here do NOTHING because they do not belong to your precious NRA is a joke. YOU go change it boy...go ahead,and while you are wasting your time trying the rest of us will fight for you.I hope we win,you better as well....Its a free country...go ahead,don't listen to the experiance out here...no no ,couldn't have that,just go right ahead and follow the flock...BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Sigh....Is the NRA spending ANYTHING to educate the masses???? awww....forget it!
    edited November -1
    What a beautiful thread.

More common sense above then in bushels of NRA propaganda..Awfully difficult to defend a position when you stand on quicksand...eh,NRA backers ?

Man,I wish I could say something different about the NRA..they foole dme for many years,too.

NO MORE,..I will call them as I see them.And I won't allow NRA people to puff out their chests and tell ME I still own guns because of them...I own guns today still IN SPITE OF THEM...and their compromising stinking ways.

edited November -1
    As far as I can tell the NRA does at least a TINY bit more good than bad. Now I do wish it would do more but as with most organizations and even people it does have it's faults. But I continue to support it. And if anyone accused me of doing nothing else but suppoort an orgainzation they don't believe in, the NRA, they would be very, very wrong. This probably does not apply to most of the posters here, but I support the NRA and still do more for gun rights than many of the people on the general discussion forum that critize the NRA but then they do little or nothing themselves.

edited November -1
    TR;
    Agreed..the NRA does a bang-up job of teaching youngsters and such.
  • juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I can say is DITTO'S to HIGHBALL GOA has my vote

Teach them young ! Teach them often ! God bless America!
    edited November -1
    both the nra and goa have my vote.

• PX15PX15 Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just "rejoined" the NRA. I don't think they have all the answers (or lately any of the answers), but in the United States of America now and for many years in the past the NRA is one of the few organizations geared to helping us defend our 2nd amendment rights. When the NRA is mentioned in the news media everyone "assumes" they are a political power determined to stand firm against the anti-gunners attempts to disarm us. Even if they don't always do what I think they should do they ALWAYS let America know someone with power is out there to thwart the likes of Clintons, Kennedy's, Schumers..... If there are new organizations out there (GOA?), then join and support them, TOO.. The NRA is not all of the answer to our concerns, but it is one of them. JMO
    edited November -1
    PX15: thank you for your balanced view point.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PX15
    I just "rejoined" the NRA. I don't think they have all the answers (or lately any of the answers), but in the United States of America now and for many years in the past the NRA is one of the few organizations geared to helping us defend our 2nd amendment rights. When the NRA is mentioned in the news media everyone "assumes" they are a political power determined to stand firm against the anti-gunners attempts to disarm us. Even if they don't always do what I think they should do they ALWAYS let America know someone with power is out there to thwart the likes of Clintons, Kennedy's, Schumers..... If there are new organizations out there (GOA?), then join and support them, TOO.. The NRA is not all of the answer to our concerns, but it is one of them. JMO

The NRA has become a political power OUT OF CONTROL,much like the two parties in Washington. They do NOT represent gunowners BEST Interests in my Opinion and I'll NOT support another good ole boys club of ANY kind.This is JUST THE PROBLEM in AMERICAN POLITICS in general......We all think This one or That one is the only answer,we accept the "lesser" of two evils for our political represenatives because we have swallowed their SPIn that you may"throw your vote away" voting for anyone but them. All you NRA loving folks out there,Has ANY of you expressed ANY concern over the defection of those on this board that USED to be members?If so,I've not heard it...has any of YOU done ANYTHING about it?course not....thats ok,the Captain of the TITANIIC stayed on his ship also...........