In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ATTENTION PEOPLE: priority emergency, this is bad

jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
THIS BAN WILL BE PERMANENT! Contact your SENATORS immediately and repeatedly! Post in ALL forums you visit TONIGHT!

NRA Oks Strategy to Force Pro-Gun Senators to Support Assault Weapons
Ban, Gun Show InstaChecks

Your worst nightmare has come true!

Tomorrow morning (10 am Eastern Time), the Senate leadership -- headed
by the feckless Sen. Bill Frist (R-Tenn) -- is prepared to push a
comprehensive gun package which includes:

-- the gun liability bill (S. 659);

-- an extension of the so-called "Assault Weapons" ban;

-- a "Gun Show Loophole" bill, which will kill all gun shows.

And the NRA-ILA is getting ready to urge supposedly pro-gun senators to
vote for the entire package!

When the bill comes to the Senate floor, Senators Dianne Feinstein
(D-Calif) and John McCain (R-Ariz) are expected to offer amendments to
re-enact the so-called "Assault Weapons" ban and to "close the gun show
loophole."

Insiders with decades of experience lobbying Congress on gun issues
report one or both of these amendments are likely to pass with the NRA's
silent backing.

The "gun show loophole" amendment would effectively eliminate gun shows.
This is because it would be a felony to fail to notify each and every
"person who attends the [gun show] of the [requirements of the Brady
Law]." Thus, if the person responsible for handing out "Brady Law
pamphlets" goes to the bathroom, each and every member of the board of
the sponsoring organization could go to prison.

What everyone on the Hill knows is that, if the the NRA's silent deal
stands, there are a majority of votes in the US Senate to reauthorize
the Assault Weapons ban, and there may be the votes to close the "Gun
Show Loophole."

The NRA and Frist will quietly pressure pro-gun senators to vote for
these amendments -- complete with an extension of the Assault Weapons
gun ban and the McCain language to eliminate gun shows.

Of course, the NRA is publicly opposing the Assault Weapons ban
amendment, but know quite well that their silent deal will enable it to
pass.

The gig is up -- the NRA has crossed the line. The Assault Weapons ban
is the most important piece of legislation to ever face gun owners, and
they are playing games with it, all for a bill that will have only
limited effect on manufacturers of firearms.

The gun liability bill is a big priority for the NRA and the Senate
leadership. It would supposedly limit frivolous lawsuits against gun
dealers and manufacturers. BUT it would CONTINUE TO ALLOW SUITS FOR
NEGLIGENCE (dubbed "negligent entrustment" in the bill) AND FOR DESIGN
DEFECT.

Since 34 (out of 34) local government suits raise charges of
"negligence" -- and 27 out of 34 raise allegations of "design defect" --
S. 659 may not do much, and shouldn't be considered on the same plane of
importance as the "Assault Weapons" ban reauthorization.

The NRA's strategy is to risk the permanent ban of all military style
"assault weapons" so that they can pass a liability protection bill of
dubious merit.

But their risk is our loss.

As part of the NRA silent deal, not one piece of mail has been dropped
by the NRA to their members alerting them to the upcoming attack by the
anti-gunners. Their silence has allowed the anti-gunners a golden
opportunity to forever ban dozens of semi-auto firearms (and large
capacity magazines) and destroy gun shows as we know them.

Of course, as all pro-gunners know, the only way gun owners win is when
we all mobilize to defeat gun control. That's what we are doing right
here, and right now.

This is a classic case of the dog that didn't bark. The NRA didn't warn
members: as of the writing of this e-mail, there is nothing on their
website regarding this deal.

Right now the only pressure on the US Senate is from the anti-gunners
and the anti-gun media.

This will allow NRA operatives to quietly cut the deal to pass gun
control, and say "This is the best we can do."

They'll chalk up one victory (the liability portion) and two defeats
(assault weapons and gun shows), and hope the bill gets better in
Conference. This kind of cavalier gambit is what they have used for
decades, and gun owners always lose on these insider games.

What you can do:

Call the NRA-ILA immediately toll-free at 800-392-8683 and/or e-mail
them at Federal-Affairs@nrahq.org

You can also e-mail one of the NRA-ILA Director of Federal Affairs,
Chuck Cunningham, at ChuckC@visi.net.

Tell the NRA to immediately drop this idiotic plan to let the Assault
Weapons ban -- or any other gun control -- be tacked onto any
legislation, and to pull out all the stops to defeat these gun controls,
or lose your membership forever. If you are not an NRA member, tell
them you are not a member because of these kinds of appeasements of the
gun-grabbers.

Also contact both of Colorado's US Senators. Don't wait until later:
use the below sample communication to e-mail, fax, or call our US
Senators immediately. Or better yet, contact them in all three manners

Senator Wayne Allard
Phone: (202) 224-5941
Fax:(202) 224-6471
Contact via internet: http://allard.senate.gov/contactme (paste this url
into your browser, and type letter in the online form, or paste the text
below)

Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell
Phone(202) 224-5852
Fax:(202) 228-4609
Contact via internet: http://campbell.senate.gov/email.htm (paste this
url into your browser, and type letter in the online form, or paste the
text below)

SAMPLE COMMUNICATION

Dear Senator:

Senator Bill Frist will ask you to vote for an anti-gun package
containing:

-- S. 659, the gun liability bill;

-- an extension of the so-called "Assault Weapons" gun ban;

-- a gun show amendment which would effectively put gun shows out
of business.

S. 659 is not worth swallowing an extension on the Assault Weapons ban
or restrictions on gun shows. Both of these measures would constitute
very egregious violations of Congress' constitutional authority. I hope
you will do everything in your power to make sure these amendments do
not end up in the bill.

Please know that any senator who votes to extend the Assault Weapons ban
-- in whatever form -- or to restrict gun shows will be recognized as
the anti-gun politician that he is. I will be watching how you vote.
Thank you.

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.

Comments

• tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Wolf, I've already responded to your good posting on the general discussion board. Butd if this goes down, I will drop the NRA like a bucket of rocks and will freely admit dthat you and longhunter (and others) were right and I was wrong.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • ArmaliteA4ArmaliteA4 Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cannot believe that even the NRA (which I support) would do something as STUPID as that. There is no good reason for it to try this tactic.It is political suicide.I do not believe this to be true and suspect it is a typical internet "The sky is falling" message. I WILL call them today and get to the bottom of it. [8]
  • ArmaliteA4ArmaliteA4 Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just called the NRA/ILA Grass roots section of the NRA and they said that they ARE supporting the protection act (659) which I saw myself on CNN. They are NOT supporting the above mentioned claims posted at the top of this thread.

I realize alot of people in here have great disdain for the NRA but I do not find it helpful when our enemies lies are propagated in our own backyard.

I invite all viewers of this post to call the NRA/ILA themselves to verify this.1-800-392-8683.

We must unify at some point to defeat our common enemies.[^]
    edited November -1
    Well said Armalite4A. I also called and talked to Chris at the NRA grassroots department. He also said what you just posted plus he read a press release to me that Pres. Bush had recently made (today?) in which Bush stongly opposed any riders or changes to the bill that would free the firearms industry (and hopefully ALL industries) from unfair and unreasonable lawsuitw. But I have know JPWolff for quite awhile on this forum and I truly believe he would not knowingly post incorrect info. But Chris at the NRA did mention two pro-gun groups that were circulating incorrect info. One was Rocky Mountain something something andthe other one will remain nameless for now.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • vikingsfaninmivikingsfaninmi Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FYI.....I received this notice from NRA-ILA.....

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT -- S. 1805 (formerly S. 659/S. 1806)
    1-800-392-8683
    www.nraila.org

Please forward this information to your family, friends, and fellow gun owners!

U.S. SENATE MUST ACT TO STOP PREDATORY GUN INDUSTRY LAWSUITS YOUR IMMEDIATE ACTION IS URGENTLY NEEDED

The floor debate has begun in the U.S. Senate on S. 1805 (S. 659/S. 1806), and a vote could come at any time! S.1805 will prohibit gun ban advocates from filing reckless lawsuits designed to bankrupt America's firearms industry. The U.S. House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed a similar bill last year to block these baseless lawsuits against firearms and ammunition manufacturers.

It is imperative that you contact both of your U.S. Senators and urge them to support a clean version of S. 1805 -- WITHOUT ANY ANTI-GUN AMENDMENTS (no extension/renewal of the semi-auto ban, no gun show language).

Also, be sure to contact your family, friends, and fellow Second Amendment supporters and have them call, e-mail, or fax both of their U.S. Senators and urge them to pass S. 1805 with NO ANTI-GUN AMENDMENTS!

Your immediate action is needed if we are to succeed in passing a clean bill through the Senate. PLEASE ACT NOW!

Contact information for your U.S. Senators can be found at:
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

You may also reach the U.S. Senate switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to your Senator's office.

For more information on S. 1805 see http://www.nraila.org/stoprecklesslawsuits.aspx
  • 2 gun2 gun Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I emailed the NRA and asked if they where supporting the ban or not fighting it.I was told They are activly fighting it and to contact my public officals and do the same .They also said the rumor that they where not fighting it was started by some antigun groups and some progun groups.If it vis true that some progun groups started it and it not 100% true then that who we need to nail.I belive the NRA.The reasions are the NRA is ran like a business and if the semi auto ban passes and is permanate then the NRA will loose a minimum of 30% of it's members.I don't care what your company is that's not good.No group if going to sacrifice 1/4 of it's base income to gane any protection.

Here is the emails.

Subj: RE: your support of the wepons ban added to S1805 !
    Date: 2/27/04 8:52:13 AM Pacific Standard Time
    To: Wombogun@wmconnect.com

Recent internet alerts from some "pro-Second Amendment" groups have suggested that the National Rifle Association has either accepted a compromise that would include reenactment of the 1994 Clinton Gun ban and/or the McCain-Reed gun show restrictions, or will not actively fight against their passage in the Senate. Not only are these claims completely false and ridiculous but they are also extremely counterproductive to our legislative strategy and agenda. Gun control groups are spreading the same rumors in hopes of confusing pro-gun senators as to our position in hopes of gaining their support.
    The National Rifle Association led the fight in opposition to this ill-conceived ban in 1994, led the efforts to repeal the ban two years later, and is leading the fight to ensure the Clinton gun ban expires on time on September 13. From public speeches, articles in NRA publications, communications to lawmakers and the development of a website (www.ClintonGunBan.com), the National Rifle association has been vocal and unambiguous about our position on this issue.

It is our hope that supposed "friends of the Second Amendment" will cease to provide ammunition to the enemy by disseminating this false information. Unfortunately, some of these groups seem intent on finding or creating any excuse to defeat S. 1805, perhaps because its passage has been a priority of the NRA for four years. The anti-gunners are seeking to undermine the Second Amendment and the legislative process by seeking to bankrupt firearms and ammunition manufacturers or get gun control restrictions through the courts through dozens of pending municipal lawsuits -- blaming the gun industry for the acts of criminals -- initiated by anti-gun big city mayors and greedy trial lawyers. A single judgement by a rogue judge or jury could wipe out the entire firearms industry making our gun rights worthless. Passage of S. 1805 is critical -- but not worth allowing legislation going to the President including either an extension of the Clinton gun ban or restrictions at gun shows. There will be no compromise. The only choice is a "clean" bill or no bill.

The legislative process in Congress is complex and far from perfect. Fortunately, Congress is a bicameral (two house) legislative body and both the House and Senate must agree on the same bill before enactment. While we are uncertain of the outcome of several pending anti-gun amendments in the Senate, the House is strongly pro-gun and it (or a conference committee) will not accept any anti-gun Senate-passed amendment as part of the final product to be sent to the President.

Pro-gun grassroots activists who want to advance our cause should not be distracted by misinformation and disinformation by our "friends." Instead, gun owners and sportsmen must keep our focus on the real action and contact -- by calls, e-mails, and faxes -- their two U.S. Senators urging them to vote for S. 1805 and against any and all anti-gun "poison pill" killer amendments including, but not limited to, the Clinton gun ban and gun shows. Use the "Write Your Representatives" (www.capwiz.com/nra/home) tool at www.NRAILA.org to contact your Senators and call them at 202-224-3121. We appreciate your active support in our cause to defend the Second Amendment and freedom itself.

Original Message
    From: Wombogun@wmconnect.com [mailto:Wombogun@wmconnect.com]
    Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 10:01 AM
    To: NRA Federal Affairs
    Subject: your support of the wepons ban added to S1805 !

If the ban passes I will do everything in my power to have everyone I know end there membership in the NRA. I will hold you the NRA responsible.

Thank you for contacting NRA-ILA. Please know that you may post the thread, it is no problem. It is also linked from our website, www.nraila.org.

Sincerely,

Sean Miller

Original Message
    From: Wombogun@wmconnect.com [mailto:Wombogun@wmconnect.com]
    Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 1:27 PM
    To: ILA-Contact
    Subject: Re: your support of the wepons ban added to S1805 !

I would like to thank you for your responce.I will also add the reason I and others respond this way when we here you the NRA our voice has betrayed us is because we the progun people are counting on you to let us be heard by those in power who otherwise would not here us. If the ban and other antigun garbage fails we as well as the antigun people will give the NRA credit for it but if the antigun trash passes we will also give you the NRA credit. I will do my part and try to let my officials know where I stand but we both know it will have little effect. You however are our collective voice.

With your permission I would like to post this in the thread at gunbroker.com.
    That is where I found the info claiming the NRA was cutting deals.

IT "S better to die by fire then serve by force

It's not gun control. It's personal defense elimination. They only want to control ours.
  • The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gads, where did some of you learn to spell? Remember, when you write to people, they judge you (and your solicitations) by the words you use and how you use them. Geeeeeez, guys, use a spell-checker before you write your Representative!!
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Tinman,my man...
    you concentrate on spelling...while good men concentrate on your Second Amendment rights....OKAY ??
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball, it's easy to say that, but I've been on the receiving end of several of these sorts of letters to politicians, and your credibility really shoots up if you can spell and use correct grammar. It's the sign of a educated person. In these days when people complain about the state of our education system, perhaps we shouldn't so easily shrug of spelling and grammatical errors that, with a little more care, could be easily corrected.

As for things that seriously detract from credibility (and I've read these too!):
    1. lots of profanity.
    2. name calling.
    3. anger and venom, especially without any constructive suggestions.
    4. writing in crayon.
    5. cutting out newsprint letters to form sentences (this gets a little creepy).
    6. writing in a spiral from the inside of the page, outward or vice-versa.

quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Tinman,my man...
    you concentrate on spelling...while good men concentrate on your Second Amendment rights....OKAY ??
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Yup;
    Agreed..and most of the half-wits up there can't spell either..and many apparently cannot read.

I asume,then,that the illiterates that graduate out of high schools all across this land..(because no politician has the balls to stand up to the NEA)...should be deprived of their rights...because they cannot compose a grammatically correct sentence..or spell the words either ?

There IS no spell checker on this board..and I prefer to read other opinions.Denigating people because they have a problem spelling drives them away...and perhaps keeps the ONE IDEA we desperately need locked up in somebodies head..instead of brought out in the open.

Don't you think a mild.." Please spell-check you note to the esteemed member of Congress " would have been a bit more couth then the smart-* crack of above ?
    edited November -1
    Well stated case Highball. (hope I spelled everything writ) (he he)

• longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mpolans
    Highball, it's easy to say that, but I've been on the receiving end of several of these sorts of letters to politicians, and your credibility really shoots up if you can spell and use correct grammar. It's the sign of a educated person. In these days when people complain about the state of our education system, perhaps we shouldn't so easily shrug of spelling and grammatical errors that, with a little more care, could be easily corrected.

As for things that seriously detract from credibility (and I've read these too!):
    1. lots of profanity.
    2. name calling.
    3. anger and venom, especially without any constructive suggestions.
    4. writing in crayon.
    5. cutting out newsprint letters to form sentences (this gets a little creepy).
    6. writing in a spiral from the inside of the page, outward or vice-versa.

quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Tinman,my man...

Spoken like an attorney....<sigh> While I do agree...It is NOT right,again the comman man is supposed to be running this country,not just Ivy league silver sppon folk.Thru our representatives we are supposed to have a voice..If we do not because of spelling error...jeez!
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Once again, the NRA is telling it's constituency, "trust us!" When will they, the NRA members, ever learn? Remeber that the NRA has the power to kill this bill, because their man Larry Craig, NRA board member, introduced it.BTW, I couldn't care less if you sign your name with an "X" if you support gun rights.

There was much less action on S.1805 today on the Senate floor. We're
    expecting the real fireworks to begin next week, with the final vote
    coming on Tuesday.

But we can't let the pressure off now: please call your senators again and again, and urge them to vote AGAINST additional gun control amendments
    and against S.1805 if the gun control cannot be stripped from the bill.

The Boxer amendment we mentioned in an earlier alert, which mandated
    that gun locking devices be delivered with each handgun (whether you
    needed it or not) was superseded by an amendment by Senator Kohl. It is
    a distinction without a difference. Kohl's amendment contains the same
    requirements but removes the
    oversight of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, a minor change.

Make no mistake about it, this bill is now the vehicle for the
    anti-gunners.

Only a blind faith that the NRA will "remove the bad provisions in
    Conference Committee" will save this bill. And we've seen how well that
    strategy has worked in the past: That is the same thing they said on the
    McCain-Fiengold Campaign Finance Deform bill (which stripped gun owners
    of their 1st Amendment rights) as well as the first Assault Weapons and
    High-capacity magazines ban bill, Brady Registration Checks, Lautenberg
    Gun Ban, etc, etc.

Saying "Trust us, we know what we are doing" is what has gotten America
    so much gun control. That's a failed strategy, and should be abandoned.

The Kohl amendment also contains legal "protections" for people who have
    locked up their self defense firearms. Of course, this implicitly
    means that people who DON'T lock up their guns will be open to civil
    liability.

Though the NRA is still vigorously supporting the bill and publicly
    opposing anti-gun amendments, it cannot be overlooked that the NRA is
    desperate to pass this legislation (Gun Owners of America's legal minds
    say S.1805 would stop only a scant few of the existing lawsuits). This
    means that, even if more gun control legislation is tacked onto S.1805,
    they can't be trusted to pull the plug.

When pressed about whether the NRA will ask the bill to be killed in the
    Senate if and when it has numerous gun control amendments attached, NRA
    Federal Lobbyist Chuck Cunningham and his assistants continue to chant
    the "Trust us" mantra.

After just a few days of the debate, it seems clear that more gun
    control will find its way onto the bill.

Though this White House is firmly committed to reauthorizing the Assault
    Weapons ban, it claims to want a clean S.1805.

A British paper (www.guardian.co.uk) reports the following:

"Any amendment that would delay enactment of the bill beyond this year
    is unacceptable," the White House said Tuesday.

The Senate's overwhelming approval of the gun lock amendment shows that
    senators are not listening to that advice and could be convinced that
    the assault weapons ban and other Democratic legislation should be added
    to the package, California Sen. Barbara Boxer said. "Senators are not
    buying the argument that the bill should be clean."

Democrats are very close to having enough support to reauthorize the
    assault weapons ban for 10 more years, she said. The ban expires in
    September.

"We believe we can get to 51," said Boxer, referring to the number of
    votes needed to add the [Assault Weapons ban] measure to the gunmaker
    immunity bill.

Given the likelihood that this legislation will be laden with even more
    gun control provisions, gun owners would be wise to view the claims of
    the NRA snake oil salesmen (who have sold us a bill of goods many times)
    with extreme skepticism.

Please keep up the pressure on your Senators.

Call your US Senators immediately and urge them to vote AGAINST
    additional gun control amendments and against S.1805 if the gun control
    cannot be stripped from the bill.

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    I got replies coming in my mailbox quite often now wolf,but will double the output just the same.
    edited November -1
    Received my GOA mailing yesterday (Fri 2-27) contained two preprinted postcards for my two US Senators about the assualt weapons ban. I thought it might be kinda late, but my wife and I signed em and mailed today (Sat. 2-28), plus sent GOA $10.00 as thanks for their effort on my part.I have already phone each senator and sent each one a fax.