In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Yet another Bad News

savage303savage303 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
Ok, here we go again. That is it! This will be the begining of the end of Walmart selling guns. In my area several Walmarts have already stopped selling guns. And with these lawsuits I wonder Walmart would bother selling guns ever. See what we are against!![:(][xx(][:(!][B)]
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/12/21/gun.lawsuit.ap/index.html

- dk

Comments

• 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if she had bought a car and run it into a cement wall if we would have even heard about it. Where does this thing come in we are not responsible for other peoples actions.

2-barrel
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And now, for my take on this so-called tragedy:

quote:DALLAS, Texas (AP) -- Near the end of her short life, Shayla Stewart, a diagnosed manic-depressive and schizophrenic, assaulted police officers and was arrested for attacking a fellow customer at a Denton Wal-Mart where she had a prescription for anti-psychotic medication

And this is somehow Wal-Mart's fault? I guess if the police had done their job and nabbed her for assault, she may have ended up disqualified for a firearm.

quote:Given all those signs, her parents say, another Wal-Mart just seven miles away should have never sold her the shotgun she used to kill herself at age 24 in 2003.

And I suppose someone will tell me what would have happened if they declined her purchase. I'll spoil it for you. She'll go somewhere else for one. If no one will sell it to her, then she will find another way to pull it off. Bottom line, if someone is determined to die, they will die.

quote:Her mother, Lavern Bracy, is suing the world's biggest store chain for $25 million, saying clerks should have known about her daughter's illness or done more to find out.

Here is where the ultimate responsibility should have been. With the parents. And while we're on the topic of mother knows best, there isn't a mother on this planet that will convince me that Wal-Mart clerks have some special form of ESP, which is about the only way any of them would have figured out what this girl was really up to.

quote:The case, filed earlier this month, has reignited a debate over the confidentiality of mental health records and the effectiveness of background checks on would-be buyers of guns.

No it hasn't. The only ones it has bunched the panties of are the ones who believe no one has a legitimate reason to be armed, and that all people should be at the mercy of the bad guys, and the State (even though they won't admit to this part).

quote:"We know that if they had so much as said, `Why do you want this?' we would not be having this conversation because Shayla would have had a meltdown," said her stepfather, Garrett Bracy

Well, if he was so certain of this, maybe he should apply for the position of All-Seeing, All-Knowing Sporting Goods Gun Dealer. Fact of the matter is, we would have still had the same problem, and even though we wouldn't be talking about Wal-Mart and a gun (assuming he's right, and I seriously doubt it) I am certain she would still be dead (by some other means, if not by shooting herself). Just like criminal behavior isn't going to go away because you take their tools away, a person bent on ending their own life is not going to change that perspective because you take one of the many tools to accomplish the job away from them. Besides, if someone asked me why I am buying a gun, it is my right to tell them "What the f*%k's it to ya!?!"

quote:The Bracys said Wal-Mart's gun department could have checked Wal-Mart's own security files or the pharmacy department's prescription records before selling her the weapon.

Then Wal-Mart could experience a whole new brash of problems stemming from invasion of privacy. Given that option, they have been given a lose-lose situation. Gestapo tactics are NOT welcome in this country, EVER, komrades.

quote:Wal-Mart spokeswoman Christi Gallagher declined to comment on the lawsuit

I would too, because the first words out of my mouth would be, "If the parents did their job, we wouldn't be having this problem either."

quote:But pharmacy prescription records are confidential under a 1996 federal law, so stores cannot use them when deciding whether to sell a gun.

I wonder if the black market really cares about this. Assuming that a person is going to break the law legally is redundant and really really stupid.

quote:Also, Wal-Mart did a background check on Stewart, as required under federal law, but through no fault of its own, her name did not show up in the FBI database. The reason: The database contains no mental health records from Texas and 37 other states.

Considering my stand on background checks, they should be illegal from start to finish, anyhow. And besides, Wal-Mart is absolutely right, they did everything they were supposed to, and going outside of that boundary would have landed them is way more serious trouble for criminal problems.

quote:Texas does not submit mental health records because state law deems them confidential, said Paul Mascot, an attorney with the Texas Department of State Health Services. Other states have not computerized their record-keeping systems or do not store them in a central location for use by the FBI.

Has this corrected the problem? Nope. In fact, most of those states have much higher suicide rates, despite these stupid laws, and seems to have unhindered the whole process. Great job solving a problem by making it worse.

quote:Federal law prohibits stores from selling guns to people who, like Stewart, have a history of serious mental illness.

Only those who have been declared by the State to be a danger to themselves or other people. Do your homework first, komrades.

quote:Would-be buyers must fill out a form that asks about mental health. Stewart, who had been involuntarily committed to an institution and declared dangerously mentally ill by a judge, lied on that form, according to her mother's attorney's office. Wal-Mart ran a background check anyway, as required by federal law.

Sounds to me that maybe the problem should be with the state. Apparently, the information wasn't there to prevent the transaction. Besides, if SHE lied on the form 4473, that is a crime in itself. A felony, if I remember from all the times I've ever bought a gun. In my judgement, a person who is committing a felony in the first place is losing the argument.

quote:Michael Faenza, president and chief executive of the National Mental Health Association, applauds Texas' refusal to share information with the FBI database. He said it would not be fair to violate patients' privacy when there is no data to support claims that mentally ill people are more violent than others.

And he is absolutely right.

quote:"The tragedies that families face when people are killed is terrible. And frankly I wish handguns were not so available in this country," he said. "But it's not right, in our minds, to make social policy based on just a few cases."

And frankly, I wish that people like this were tarred, feathered and run out of town on a rail, komrade. You almost had my respect.

quote:Garrett Bracy couldn't disagree more.

He and his wife watched his stepdaughter's six-year decline from straight-A high school student to violent and unpredictable stranger. She was hospitalized five times, twice under court orders. Her longest hospitalization, lasting a month, came in 2002 after she refused to leave her room or take her medication.

Tragic. But I fail to see how Wally world should be held responsible for her death, no less. This whole chain of events leads me to a conclusive end that this was bound to happen. Did it come as a surprise, well it shouldn't have.

quote:The suggestion that Wal-Mart should have checked prescription records infuriates Erich Pratt, a spokesman for the Virginia-based group Gun Owners of America.

I knew when I saw that name, he would be infuriated. Him and I are of very similar beliefs, and I am glad he was made aware of what the kommunistic twinkle-toed idiots are proposing.

quote:"Does that mean mental illness prevents everyone on Prozac from owning a gun? Or women with PMS?" he said.

My thoughts, exactly.

quote:Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-New York, who ran for Congress after her husband was killed and son wounded in 1993 by a gunman on a Long Island Rail Road train, wants to strengthen the federal background check system by encouraging states to share mental health records. She has introduced legislation that would give states grants to automate and turn over the information.

I can't stand this *. She is a psycho babbler who needs a restraining order stuck on her mouth.

quote:She drafted the bill after a priest and a parishioner were shot to death by a schizophrenic man in a New York church in 2002. He, too, should not have been allowed to buy a gun.

That's why there is the black market, where they really don't care why you want anything, just as long as you pay upfront, and don't ask any questions about it.

quote:"When you see these deaths that could have been prevented it's a shame," McCarthy said.

Almost as big a shame as being so gullible as to believe that all criminals buy their guns legally to commit their crimes.

quote:As the Bracys prepare for another Christmas without their daughter, they are urging lawmakers to support McCarthy's bill and dealers to conduct their own background checks.

Nothing says "You're an idiot" more than grandstanding a failed 'law' proposed by a person who learned the wrong lesson back in 1993.

quote:"Lavern went to the store the other day to buy over-the-counter headache sinus medication and they limited the amount of sinus medication she could buy at one time," her husband said, his voice trembling with emotion. "But Shayla can walk into a store and buy a gun and they could care less. That's got to change."

The real lesson to learn here is that large amounts of this type of medicine is used in meth labs. How nice that the people in general get punished for the acts of a few people, and that is exactly what they are proposing. Hypocrit!!

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunphreak I couldn't agree more on your post. Very good job.

2-barrel
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Great job. thanks for taking the time to do it. Might educate a few newbies.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunphreak, I couldn't agree more. Nice to see Larry Pratt getting some coverage in the media. As I said in another post somewhere in here:

If she had jumped off of the Sears Tower, would they be suing the owners of the Sears Tower? Would they sue the people who worked there for not asking her why she was taking the elevator to the roof. If she jumped out one of the tower's windows, would they have also sued the glass company who made the glass that wasn't strong enough to stop her? Sue the tower architecht for making the building too tall? Sue the construction workers for making a "dangerous" building?

If this were anything other that a firearm suicide, it wouldn't even have made the news. It's not about stopping crime or preventing suicides, it's about banning guns. It is just being encouraged by the media.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    This is stupidity at its finest. How is it wally worlds fault that she took her own life? I mean come on, she could of killed herself a number of different ways. Sue walmart b/c they sold her some rope? Why not? OR sue them b/c they sold her a knife? Or how about selling a case of beer to a guy who goes out, gets drunk and causes a fatal accident, all because he bought the alcohol there? Where does it stop? How about we start a class action lawsuit against them because they sell ingredients to methanphetimine? How many kids have died from that stuff? It's all walmarts fault, they should just shut down all of their stores because of what other MIGHT do with their products.

"Oh wait, He bought gas at walmart befor he went out and caused a fatal accident..... If he didn't buy gas there then he wouldn't have made it far enough to cause the wreck. lets sue em!"

COOLBULLETS.jpg You are knuckle-dragging ape with a gun.
  • gonzo1510gonzo1510 Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not for nothing ... but don't you want to give your local gun shop your hard earned dollars and not to the big box stores?

"The ability for evil to triumph exists when good men do nothing." Edmund Burke
  • Broomie2Broomie2 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunphreak: Well written, very logical, though the true is, anti's don't deal with facts, its all delt with in shades of gray.

"Before they can convince you that rights emanate from them (the government), they must first eliminate God. They are working 24/7 to accomplish this."
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that, Broomie. Consider this fact. Not everyone is either Pro or Anti gun. For those who are neutral, it means only this: The issue is not that important to them. This means they have not fallen victim to the lies, which is good, because as opften as they are prattled in the papers and through the mouths of celebrity liars, they should be indoctrinated to believe firearms and weapons of all sorts are inherently evil, but do not. But on the other hand, they have seen no reason to join the fight....

....but soon, all this may change. When it does, the anti are sunk!!

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."