In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question

codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
please,help me ! i'm NYC resident and want to buy RUGER mini-30 or RUGER 44-magnum.but nobody sure - is it legal in NYC,or not and why???

Comments

• codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    You live in a state that requires a license to own firearms. Let's say moving is not an option. You get one and it is due for renewal. You are totally against the requirement for one in the first place. Do you not renew and wait for them to come get the guns? Hope they forget about you and take your chances? Not get one at all when you move there and take your chances?

Just curious as to some opinions. Remember, moving is not an option. Not moving there is not an option.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should follow local laws as best you can. If you can't move, how about getting a job that enabled you to carry.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    It is a sad fact of life that the government, any government, is more powerful than the indivudual. While trying to rein in an out-of-control government, it is best to not do anything to cause that government to persecute you. Because if it does persecute you, you will no longer have the resources to try and rein in your government. Your government will have already reined in you.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I vote to obey the law, especially when it concerns firearms. I'd hate to lose my right to own one.

Moving is ALWAYS an option. You just have to be willing to make the sacrifice.
  • KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make moving an option.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Code;
    We have no choice at this time except obey tyranny.

Given that one decides to NOT obey tyranny..at least go out with pride and dignity.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See answer to "Another Question", or, in other words, what Highball said.

[;)]
    edited November -1
    Done plenty of moving over the years (15 times 17 years) kids are planted. Was supposed to move back to NY (upstate) didn't work out as planned. Figure the good lord saw fit to put a wolf amongst the sheep. There's a reason I am here, just hasn't been made apparent yet.

Also, there ain't no job that allows me to carry as part of it that will pay near what I make. None.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tough question. I'd love to be able to say I'd barricade the windows and wait for 'em to come, but in all honesty I probably wouldn't. Your scenerio states that the guns are already registered, so hiding them is not an option.

I'd probably renew the registration......if there ever came a day when they were to be confiscated....well, that's another subject all together.
  • kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HighVolumeOfFire
    if there ever came a day when they were to be confiscated....well, that's another subject all together.

that subject can be found here http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=78719 THE VAST MAJORITY of the mouths have stated they will retain their spine. I assure you I will and hope you will too.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kyplumber
    THE VAST MAJORITY of the mouths have stated they will retain their spine.

kyplumber, you and I both know that the vast majority of mouths in this country are full of sh**. They'll meekly lay down their arms and everything they believe in the minute the government says "Boo!"

Talk is cheap....
  • shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kyplumber, you and I both know that the vast majority of mouths in this country are full of sh**. They'll meekly lay down their arms and everything they believe in the minute the government says "Boo!"

Talk is cheap....

[/quote]

You got that right[8D]

Money is not the end all, MOVE to a state that hasn't removed the rights the people and work hard to keep it that way.
    In my state they even let DemocRATs have guns.[8D]
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know talk is cheap but my jaw has not yet reached muscle failure.
  • NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends, are we required to obey an immoral and unconstitutional law? The Founding Fathers said no. You have to weight consequences. For example, if the government of your state restricts ownership of certain firearms, as in California and Maryland, and then restricts such lists over time relegating your choice eventually illegal, will that leave you disarmed? Will you be unable to protect yourself and family if we have a shtf situation like Katrina? No easy answer here.
    When I lived in California, I DID NOT register my semi-auto firearms when the new law was passed. I knew what would eventually come next. Their confiscation. I did not comply Up-yours you Left Coast Commies!
    But, it also meant, after the law went into effect, I couldn't shoot them in public either. Again, no easy choice. Ultimately, I moved. I have lived in 7 states (most of the moving done when I was a child...military brat). Anyway, I was going to move from California back to Maryland, no go....the laws...so I landed in Missouri, home of many wonderful people. I miss the ocean but I can always visit. Rights that are gone cannot be so easily visited.
  • fishmanfishman Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello all, this is my first time here offically and I thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in the ring.
    I live in UpStateNY, where it is still fairly easy to get a handgun license/permit.
    I will not go into all the inconsistancies/outright failures in New Yorks gun laws.
    The handgun laws alone concerning one county to the next are a nightmare, for us and for the "state" .
    There are vast differences from one area to the other, one judge to the other, one sherriff to the other...etc...etc...etc...
    Ny is effectively "may issue"
    The State does not obey their own laws...example: some counties add restrictions to licenses. This is not supported in the Penal Code..Sect. 400 either you have a license or you do not.
    There is no provision allowing for additional restrictions.
    The lower courts on occasion have supported this activity, knowing all well that there is no provision in the law that supports it.
    And the State gets away with that...
    For some reason, NY after it investigates you for 6 months-year...and finally issues you a license, says, BUT its no good for this or that.
    Counties that are issues clean CCw's can carry anywhere in the State even in counties that issue restricted licenses and face no consequences.
    About the only gun control I support or would support would be a mandatory training/shooting/self-defense course before being issued a national carry license..sort of level the field as some states have requirements and some do not...We would not allow a Dr. to operate on us without training....he may accidently kill us....I believe the same logic applies here...
    New York in its ongoing effort to be everything to everyone, has it both ways already...some counties you have to have training, some counties you do not....some license are renewable 2-3-5 years....some, like where I am from are good for life...
    I currently have concealed carry permits in over 30 states, and an 03FFL as well.
    My point being that sometimes it is not such a good idea when trying to make change of something as large as firearms, to be too "face front"
    As it stands now, you can win the CCW game if you go thru the hoops;
    The reality of the states are most don't give a rats butt for anything but what forwards the adjenda of the legislator that is proposing it...
    The only way to change is to change the peoples' attitude....and that can be done...one person at a time..by each of us obtaining CCWs in as many states as we can....and excersizeing those rights at every possible oppertunity.
    Guns are like sex abuse was 30 years ago..spoken in whispers, select "groups" etc...want to kill the conversation at a party--start talking about CCw's and personal protection....that will throw a wet blanket on things ....;we need to change that...
    I use my licenses as ID's..I make it a point that people know that I am not ashamed to excersize my rights and that they have nothing to fear from me or people like me who excersize their rights as well.
    Some people will never carry a gun for any reason.
    I would not try to change their point of view, only request from them tolerance for mine..
    I belive that the Constitution is not a selective document. You either buy into all of it or none of it..it cannot be piecemealed out as it suits certain interests.
    To believe or do other wise is a direct assault on every person every where that has lived, died or otherwise risked great things to preserve our rights..
    I firmly believe that in order to strenghten your body you excersize it, our Rights I think, react in just about the same way..
    It is about time people looked at Gun Owners as the good guys...
    just MHO
    edited November -1
    fishman;
    Welcome aboard. Read the forum and think about what is contained therein....
    As an example....from your post;

quote:belive that the Constitution is not a selective document. You either buy into all of it or none of it..it cannot be piecemealed out as it suits certain interests.
    How then do you justify this...?
    quote:About the only gun control I support or would support would be a mandatory training/shooting/self-defense course before being issued a national carry license..
    I read the Second Amendment..and find absolutely no mention of a "National Right to Carry"....IN FACT, government LISTS are exactly one of the evils to be avoided at ALL costs...if the means to resist tyranny is to mean anything at all....
    edited November -1
    If a starving man is offered food from a dirty dish, then he will still take the food. If you give him the dirty dish often enough, he may even begin to think it is normal. One day you may even be able to take away the dish completely, then you can begin reducing the amount of food that you give him. The man may even starve to death before he even realizes it.

This is the danger of incrementalism. For many of the oppressed people of this nation, even a dirty dish is tolerable.

-Wolf
  • fishmanfishman Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suport pilots learning to fly, Dr/s learning to operate, drivers learning to drive and just about everything else...I also support people learning to shoot, and to handle weapons..period....
    I don;t need to justify this to anyone, this is my opinion, I support gun ownership and national CCW...I simply think that we should be proficient with our weapons of choice.
    I don;t know what you know, I only know what I know...and I know I know what I am doing...but that does not take into consideration the other guy...
    IF you can come up with an argument that supports the no training or experience required to handle a deadly weapon...I would like to hear it...and not this :"its infringing on our gun rights crap"...untrained people with guns are infringing on my longevity rights....
  • fitzx2fitzx2 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting guns since before I attended 1st grade. My father taught my shooting class, thank you.

I live in New Hampshire where the 2nd amendment is alive and well. Go take a class if you'd like, but do not ask me to support you in your effort to limit my constitutional rights. Classes are fine for those who want or need them, but mandate it NOT!
    edited November -1
    Just another Fiendstein/Shumer/Kennedy...only slightly disguised as a 'gun rights supporter'...a perfect match for the NRA.

The Second Amendment means exactly what THEY want it to say...and in their world, that means the Federal Government has the authority to mandate we citizens crawl on our bellies to exercise a RIGHT....

Some people just feel better on their bellies, looking up at their masters.
    Freedom ain't free..and it is messy. That is PRECISELY why so many people don't want freedom.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishman
    IF you can come up with an argument that supports the no training or experience required to handle a deadly weapon...I would like to hear it...and not this :"its infringing on our gun rights crap"...
    Well, now we know where you stand, when it comes to the Constitution.
    edited November -1
    Amen, Pickenup. There are a lot of "oughta be" types out there. Granted, much of what they say makes logical sense, but that doesn't mean we can just overlook the Constitution because its the way things "oughta be". Our forefathers left us a mechanism to change the Constitution. If everybody think it "oughta be" a certain way then it should be no problem to follow the amendment procedures that they laid in place for us.

Fishman, two years ago, when I began posting on these forums, I was very close to where you are now. These men here can attest to that, look up some of my first posts if you want to. I highly recommend that you stick around here for a while to participate and listen. You may be surprised where you find yourself after a few months.

-Wolf
    edited November -1
    Wounded Wolf;
    Friend, what you just posted is the mark of a man. The ability to study and change long held beliefs..basic BUILDING BLOCK beliefs.

As a person of character...you didn't change easily..there had to be proof and intelligence behind the arguments...but the moxie to get over the anger and stick with actually thinking about the problem instead of repeating the nonsense spewed out by so many 'gun rights supporters'..
    My contention is still that weak-kneed gun owners are a FAR greater threat to continued gun rights..then Shumer/Fiendstein/Kennedy.
    The Anti-Gunners GLEEFULLY point to such...as proof that they are right.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fishman,
    When considering training, I have to look to the states of Vermont and Alaska. There is NO CCW (or whatever you want to call it) in those states. Anyone, including ANY kid, just out of school, testosterone pumping, hormones raging, with NO TRAINING can carry concealed. As long as they can LEGALLY buy a gun, they can carry it.

Vermont as well as Alaska, have one of the LOWEST violent crime rates in the country. There is no blood running in the streets as predicted. Accidental shootings are no more prevalent there, than anywhere else in the country. These are proven statistics.

Don't get me wrong, I know people that I would not trust with a gun, WITH training. But that does not change my "core" beliefs.
    edited November -1
    Actually, given a bit of thought...Fishman is parroting EXACTLY the position of the little home security war hero president.....So he is in 'good'...or 'BAD' company...

Depending on wether you believe in the Second Amendment and Freedom/Rights....or not.....bush supporters obviously do not...
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Guam is an American territory that requires Firearms ID's and all firearms have to be registered. Their registration requirement was enacted prior to the Firearm Owners Protection Act that prohibited future registrations. I asked the Police Dept folk that do the registering..." How do I register a firearm I made?". They said you need to be a manufacturer...I said "no read the ATF guidelines right here that say you can make your own firearm and thus it would have no serial number...How would you register something without a serial number?"

They didn't have an answer.

Just print out all the documentation on ATF's website and keep copies. PS....I don't take home made firearms out of the house. They are for when SHTF scenario's when law is Martial Law and I'll need to have something should the Government confiscate what I have that is registered.

I'll let them have my 2 registered firearms happily. Knowing that I threw a junk upper on that registered AR and what they are really getting is junk...the good stuff is.....who knows where.[:D]

The military calls such operations....OPSEC.

OPSEC ensures....survival.
  • frousseaufrousseau Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read the Armed Citizen in the "American Rifleman" and remember it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
  • the real fuzzthe real fuzz Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    You live in a state that requires a license to own firearms. Let's say moving is not an option. You get one and it is due for renewal. You are totally against the requirement for one in the first place. Do you not renew and wait for them to come get the guns? Hope they forget about you and take your chances? Not get one at all when you move there and take your chances?

Just curious as to some opinions. Remember, moving is not an option. Not moving there is not an option.

I am a state trooper where I live. I own several guns. Most would probly scare people that I was a bad person. I own them because I have the ability too. If I had to renew a licence to keep them I would probly do it, however depending on the cost(and amount of bullpoop) that was needed I might just say I sold them to Joe Bob Brown Smith. ALL the guns that I buy are 2nd or 3rd generation. I buy from Individuals not stores. If the day comes when I am ordered to go house to house and collect the weapons I have a letter in my bottom draw of my desk way in the back. It is my resignation, I am going home to defend my property. Hell I may even come help you defend yours codenamepaul, although it is a long drive from OKlahoma to NY.
    edited November -1
    Welcome aboard, friend...You hold what I chose to call "An American Viewpoint"...versus the sniveling cowards that will line up to turn in their guns.
    Those that will share nothing in common with me...nor with the Founders.
  • kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by the real fuzz

I am a state trooper where I live. I own several guns. Most would probly scare people that I was a bad person. I own them because I have the ability too. If I had to renew a licence to keep them I would probly do it, however depending on the cost(and amount of bullpoop) that was needed I might just say I sold them to Joe Bob Brown Smith. ALL the guns that I buy are 2nd or 3rd generation. I buy from Individuals not stores. If the day comes when I am ordered to go house to house and collect the weapons I have a letter in my bottom draw of my desk way in the back. It is my resignation, I am going home to defend my property. Hell I may even come help you defend yours codenamepaul, although it is a long drive from OKlahoma to NY.

Lexington, KY will treat you as family on your voyage, friend...
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, hold on a minute, guys....

fishman has recently put in his two-lincolns on this subject, and he was descended on like vultures to a piece of roadkill on the highway. I would hate to see anyone who posts here with a legitimate position chased off, so let's look at his posting once more:

quote:My point being that sometimes it is not such a good idea when trying to make change of something as large as firearms, to be too "face front"

He has a point, and although some of you are not in agreement, most of you do this, as well. I realize some of you don't, but you did at one point. It's all a part of learning.

I do things a bit differently, myself. But by doing so, I put crosshairs on my chest, because I am outright and full force with my opposition to unjust laws. Confrontational, even.

quote:The only way to change is to change the peoples' attitude....and that can be done...one person at a time..by each of us obtaining CCWs in as many states as we can....and excersizeing those rights at every possible oppertunity.

Ok, realistically, this isn't the only way, but it is the most vocal. It does leave a certain imprint on the minds of those who want to deprive you of your arms, totally. Don't think they don't know who you are. You can be as sneaky as you want to be, but they have your number. It is high time we stand and be counted.

quote:Guns are like sex abuse was 30 years ago..spoken in whispers, select "groups" etc...want to kill the conversation at a party--start talking about CCw's and personal protection....that will throw a wet blanket on things ....;we need to change that...

Ok, maybe where you live, this is true, but this isn't the truth throughout the country. You have to remember, you live in a fascist and sozialist state, where PC rules the day. Very few states are like NY, and that said, in other freer states, firearms are just another thing.

quote:I use my licenses as ID's..I make it a point that people know that I am not ashamed to excersize my rights and that they have nothing to fear from me or people like me who excersize their rights as well.

A little constructive criticism; by flashing an ID, you have not exactly proven you are not to be feared. Sure, I would look at it as if you have satisfied the requirements of a harsh state in which to get a license, but the ID does not tell the story. Just an observation...

quote:Some people will never carry a gun for any reason.
    I would not try to change their point of view, only request from them tolerance for mine..
    I belive that the Constitution is not a selective document. You either buy into all of it or none of it..it cannot be piecemealed out as it suits certain interests.

Well, it is being piecemealed, and sometimes, pointing this out to these sorts actually makes a stronger impact than anything else you could do.

Remember, also, that for everyone who is selective about who gets rights, they believe their name is on the list of rights, and you are not on that list.

quote:About the only gun control I support or would support would be a mandatory training/shooting/self-defense course before being issued a national carry license..sort of level the field as some states have requirements and some do not...We would not allow a Dr. to operate on us without training....he may accidently kill us....I believe the same logic applies here...

I am not a fan of licensing rights, because of the implication of permission. Seriously, if responsibility was reintroduced into society, the individual would seek his own training, rather than just stupidly carry.

The only flaw in logic I can see between being a well-trained gun owner and a surgeon is that I can train you in an afternoon to be able to hold your own competently with a gun. Operating on another human being requires vastly more knowledge and instruction from another, more skilled surgeon in order to successfully operate on another human.

quote: I suport pilots learning to fly, Dr/s learning to operate, drivers learning to drive and just about everything else...I also support people learning to shoot, and to handle weapons..period....

So do I. So do I.

It should be pointed out, though that you do not need a license to drive on your own property. Using this on public property, however, is another matter. It also requires knowledge and understanding of the laws of the road because you will be interacting with others on the road, and if everyone is not on the same page, it will end up a disaster.

Use of a gun, on the other hand, is far less complicated, regardless of liberal sentiments to the contrary, and the instruction is far less involved.

quote:I don;t need to justify this to anyone, this is my opinion, I support gun ownership and national CCW...I simply think that we should be proficient with our weapons of choice.

Me too. What I'm not sure I understand is, why should you have to prove this to the gov't? The gov't isn't your daddy.

quote:I don;t know what you know, I only know what I know...and I know I know what I am doing...but that does not take into consideration the other guy...

Let me point something out to you. The gun owner is among the most aware, most knowledgeable and friendliest people in the country. Sure, there are some you might question, but in the end, even they tend to be rooted, sane people. they tend to be good Samaritans, with good hearts, always willing to help others out, even if it may mean loss to themselves, over the principle of goodness.

I would suggest worrying about these types less and those who blatantly misuse guns more. Don't confuse the two.

quote:IF you can come up with an argument that supports the no training or experience required to handle a deadly weapon...I would like to hear it...

Ok. I have been trained by two dozen former military and police SWAT team members in the use of rifles, pistols, shotguns and even on one occasion, an MP5 SMG. The gov't did not receive this knowledge from me.All it knew was I jumped through one of its hoops to obtain an Ohio CHL (before I realized what I had done in this act), and it wouldn't have even known this had it not required it.

Few would argue that I was not proficient with my Glock 21, but still, there is this idea that someone not formally trained is not good with a firearm, and I am here to tell you gun owners are very aware, and not nearly as likely to act impulsively or stupidly, like you may be inclined to believe. We do tend to take responsibility and do what must be done, whether the gov't likes it or not.

quote:and not this :"its infringing on our gun rights crap"...untrained people with guns are infringing on my longevity rights....

I think I have covered this topic enough. This time it will relate to gov't, and I will make it short. Everything gov't touches, it breaks. I cannot stress this enough, Gov't philosophy includes fixing something that isn't broken to the point that it is broken.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by the real fuzz

I'm in MA, but there is a place at my table for you and a beer in the fridge. Lots of good responses. Of course, I will renew my CCW and comply with the law. I will continue to do so until there is no greater risk in not complying or complying. Those firearms I do have are not registered, at least some. There is no registration here except new purchase. There are some that will never be and could never be found outside of my revealing them.