In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another question

codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
You have no CCW permit as you are against having to get one at all. You carry anyway because it is your belief (and I agree) that it is your right to do so with or without. You get caught with it by the law. What do you do? They have't taken it yet, but know you have it.

Comments

• Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whenever scenarios come up like this, I try to follow this basic philosophy:

Until the day comes that I am willing to give up EVERYTHING, life, liberty, family, and property, I am forced to live within the shackles provided by my oppressors. I may gripe and grumble, but unless I am willing to put it ALL on the line, I have not choice but to live by their inane, illogical, and destructive laws.

Some have already made the leap, they live in the shadowy world of the criminal, or have found santuary someplace remote, detaching themselves from society and preparing for the onslaught of the wrath of this government. I still choose to function in this society, and also reap what little benefits remain from it. So even though I philosopically agree that a CCW is not necessary, I would still go through the process to get one so that I may legally carry. Otherwise I have to be willing to give up everything at any moment.

-Wolf
  • Options
    warriorsfanwarriorsfan Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it legal to open carry where you live? It is in Michigan, and you don't need a permit for it. As long as you can legally own a gun, you can legally carry it in Michigan as long as it is displayed openly, no permit is required.

In the 19th century, Michigan outlawed the carry of concealed weapons. The rational was that a person could use a concealed pistol in a fight and surprise his or her opponent. That is, a person had a right to know if the other person was armed before getting in a dispute.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Colorado, with the exception of Denver, Boulder and some ritzy mountain communities (Aspen, Telluride) has open carry laws. Frankly, I'm a fan of carrying in the open, although I don't do it for a variety of reasons (pain in the butt because I'm in Denver almost daily, don't like to advertise that I have guns, etc.).

I'd carry openly.
  • Options
    KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed here in KY, not only can we open carry without any type of permit, but it is unlawful for any goverment official to question A citizen as to the reason they are armed.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure, open-carry is great if you are hiking around the mountains, wheeling across the desert, or driving on down to the general store on a Sunday afternoon.

But for the 80% or so of the population that lives in incorporated areas (just a guess, but I bet it's close), open-carry is typically not an option. I suppose there are probably some "gun-friendly" towns around, but in my experience many cities have ordinances banning open carry.

And even if it is technically legal, do you really want to try open carry these days in an urban or suburban setting? As spaniel said, why advertise that you have a gun? Sure, it sounds tough, but do you really want every 14 year old street punk bugging you about your gun? Asking if he can hold it or touch it while his buddy tries to creep up behind you to sneak it out of your holster?

Not to mention, all the ignorant cops that don't know the gun laws from a hole in the ground. Do you want to deal with having the cops approach you every few weeks with gun drawn and barking at you to get on the ground? Then having to explain the open carry laws to him while in handcuffs?

How about having to remember to stash your gun in your vehicle everytime you enter a school, an airport, a post office, city hall, etc.?

-Wolf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No open carry here in MA. I generally forget I'm carrying when I start toward these places. If there is a metal detector, I am reminded. Most other times I may be inadvertently stretching the limits of legality.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    You have no CCW permit as you are against having to get one at all. You carry anyway because it is your belief (and I agree) that it is your right to do so with or without. You get caught with it by the law. What do you do? They have't taken it yet, but know you have it.
    My answer to your original question would be........nothing.
    They caught me, they didn't take it, they know I have it.
    What is there TO do?

Now if you are asking if I would "continue" to carry it,
    the answer would be.....yes.
    If they didn't take it the first time, and they know I have it, why not?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let me further the tale.

The cops haven't taken the gun. But they will and you will be charged, you are essentially now a felon. Getting caught will deprive you of all your rights, not just carrying a gun. Do you go for broke?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Changing the rules "after" the fact? [B)]
    What are you.......a politician? [}:)]

Just funnin ya. [:D][:o)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No.

Again, while I may not like the law, I try to follow the law unless that law violates some of my basic moral values. CCW isn't a basic moral value IMHO. My state/city has the right to impose no CCW rules without a license. I have the right to obey the law or move. In this case, if I don't like the law and CCW was that important to me, I'd move.

FWIW, it'll be an ice-cold day before I'd file for a CCWP. You're volunteering to register your firearms. But, at the same time, I'm a huge fan of CCWP because it keeps people guessing. However, I prefer open carry, as an armed society is a more polite society.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Changing the rules "after" the fact? [B)]
    What are you.......a politician? [}:)]

Just funnin ya. [:D][:o)][:D]

I'm not a politician. I did see someone play one on TV tho'

No, just adding some clarity.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spanielsells
    No.

Again, while I may not like the law, I try to follow the law unless that law violates some of my basic moral values. CCW isn't a basic moral value IMHO. My state/city has the right to impose no CCW rules without a license. I have the right to obey the law or move. In this case, if I don't like the law and CCW was that important to me, I'd move.

FWIW, it'll be an ice-cold day before I'd file for a CCWP. You're volunteering to register your firearms. But, at the same time, I'm a huge fan of CCWP because it keeps people guessing. However, I prefer open carry, as an armed society is a more polite society.

That's funny, MA does not have a registration requirement, just a license requirement. My NY CCW, however,has all the pistols I can legally carry right on the back. They are registered there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Colorado's CCWP requires you register the concealed guns as well.

Which is why I won't bother... especially when I can carry openly if I feel the need, which I normally don't.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spanielsells
    Colorado's CCWP requires you register the concealed guns as well.
    Colorado does NOT require registration of concealed guns.