In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun rights in the workplace

mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone know what rights a company has to supersede state law in the workplace? Technically a company must abide by state firearm laws as far as I can tell. The question has come up where employees take cased and unloaded firearms for after work sessions at the local range. This has become an issue. My understanding was that a suit was filed by gun owner/employees at some company (Tandy?) regarding this restriction against lawful transport of arms for legitimate use.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead

Comments

• gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Concealed carrying is just that... "Concealed" carry. In some states, inducing a panic among some of the more ignorant people could be a violation of the law. If that business sees it, it is in violation of the law when they do.

In many other states, if it is written in the plant rules that weapons are no-nos in the workplace, state law will see for that business because they requested that weapons be not brought into the workplace. This is true of those businesses that state firearms are prohibited, also. (These places are unsafe, so I wouldn't shop there. This is the same place criminals would go to shop(lift).)

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Believe it or not; NM State employees are not allowed to have "deadly weapons" in their state vehicles or on State property-including rights-of-way;try to figure out at what point in your commute from home to work you become a felon!
    The true irony is that although you are responsible for theft of the State property in your possession; you can do nothing to stop someone from taking it. Kinda sucks, no?

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • dhdh Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in Texas and I work for SCHLUMBERGER. No firearms on their property for any reason. I just don't say anything if I have something in my truck.They have none I was going hunting straight from work and they have never asked,although some busy body did go rat me off one time and I was politely reminded of company policy.
    edited November -1
    I guess, if the company wants a good hard lesson in the concept of concealed carry (I'm sure that security in the factory workplace is usually pretty good), then always remember, on their property, if you are injured at the hands of another, I'd sue the hell out of them. While in court, call to their attention what could have prevented the law suit from occuring in the workplace, and I don't mean tightened security, either.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • SkeeterSkeeter Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The incident of employees getting sacked because of weapons in the parking lot was at AOL in Utah. What a crock!

Most states, if not all, allow businesses to set that rule because it's private property. The business owns the property and the building, or leases it, and therefore has that right.

It still sucks.

Steve

NRA Training Counselor/Instructor
    edited November -1
    In any company I've ever seen, they seem to wish to pay for tightened security rather than allow concealed carry. Though I believe security is a good thing, I also believe no one should ever be forced to sacrifice essential liberties, like protecting themselves, in favor of company promised security. Does the law recognize that?? Of course it doesn't. Why? Because our lives are merely numbers to them, and we, the people, simply cannot be trust to act responsibly.

Our country is unique in the premise that it has more laws that contradict other laws than any nation I've ever seen. Constantly, some politician seems all too willing to wipe his * with the Constitution, and other miscellaneous elitists make a mockery of our legal system. To think, 350 million laws to enforce 10 commandments.....

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    any private company can prohibit the carry of concealed weapons on their property..as can any individual on their property. My company prohibits the possesion of firearms on their premesis. Its not a good thing, but they are not breaking any laws.
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Pikeal1 is right. But if your gun is concealed properly- how could anyone know it's in possession?
    Park somewhere else (off property).
  • MrNathanLeeMrNathanLee Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well at my work customers are allowed to have concield weapons and i have even heard some stories of concield weapons that were accidently unconcield by a shirt flaping open or something and no one even cared except for the carier who insested (sp?) that he show the cashier his ccw and i have also seen many people that come to pick up there merchendicehave a rifle or two in there truck and i alwayse say something like hey sweet a rifle what is it and there like oh crap i forgot i had that there and then i have to go oh no its all good i like firearms then we have a nice lil discussion about it for about 30 seconds. And i also have talked with some of my bosses about there firearms and what i find funny it that the head of security at my work found the reciept for my trigger lock and asked if i needed it back or if it was okay if she threw it away.

but now im curious if when i turn 21 and get a ccw if they will let me cary as an employee.

Gun control is being able to hit your target...Enemy Down
    edited November -1
    Let me ask all of you this. How would you feel if I told you your child will be going to school now, and a few of his/her teachers had concealed weapons. How would that make you feel???

Personally, I would be thrilled. I don't want my little girl going to school one day and have a couple cowards carry out with a Columbine style shooting, where she will be at their mercy.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • nitrouznitrouz Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small town PA my science teacher kept a .357 for some reason in his desk. It came up missing and you bet the State Police tore that school apart. He was an idiot.
    As for having a weapon legally stored in your vehicle on compnay property I believe a search warrant would have to be issued to search your vehicle without probable cause.
    Want to carry a weapon on your job? Switch jobs and work for Brinks, or the guys that ship explosives around the country can pack heat. Also a cop, game warden, many others. Don't get a job working for as a pre-school teacher and think it's ok to carry a .357 to work everyday.
    edited November -1
    Small town PA science teacher should have kept that thing on him, as CCW implies. He's part of the reason the rest of us suffer. The irresponsibilities of the few screw it up for the rest of us, again.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • SkydiveSkydive Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just my two cents.

If you carry a concealed weapon no one should know about it, keep it concealed but understand if you get busted you may loose your job. Most courts in most states will probably side with the company.

Screw the companies. I keep one hidden in my car, I don't tell anyone about it and the way I have it stored actually complies with my states law.

If you own a gun just so you can flash it around, leave it at home and show off at the range.

Every so often, I like to stick my head out the window, look up, and smile for a satellite picture.
  • snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    I think Skydive hit the nail on the head.

*If there is one gun for every 7 people in the world, I'm saving alot of people money*
    edited November -1
    I guess most companies want stupid regulations. Firearm restrictions shouldn't surprise anyone when our companies find that even looking at a woman is construable as sexual harassment. With policies as stupid as this one, and several other sweetheart provisions, is it any wonder???

Death to Tyrants!!!

Jesus Christ believed in the right to keep and bear arms, Luke 22:36.

-Gunphreak