In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Still waiting, Any advise?

jimmyfitzpjimmyfitzp Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I handed in my pistol permit app. to my local pd on 3/23/09. I know that the state law says that it is supposed to take up to 8 weeks until they accept or deny you. I haven't heard a word about my permit yet. It has been almost 7 months! I called my local pd which is in CT by the way and the secretary said "I dont have any permits ready right now!" and hung up in my face. I dont want to have to call again and have them "lose" my app. Does anyone have any advise on what I should/can do?

Comments

• BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the local PD process the app? If not call the place that does. If local Pd does the processing I would talk to someone I know in the dept and get them to go with you to make the inquiry in person.
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By all means inquire about it. I filed a grievance with Social Security in January, 2009. I went to the local office to check on the progress of it in April. It had never been forwarded to the main office[:(!][:(!][:(!].It had been placed in my folder and forgotten for 3 1/2 months. If I had not checked on it myself, it would still be "lost". This reminds me, I need to check in with social security to see if a decision has been made yet. The worst part is that I am desputing a mistake that their office made[:(]. Good luck, Eddie
  • papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It takes about 6 months they must be busy wait
  • miker4_umiker4_u Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimmyfitzp
    I handed in my pistol permit app. to my local pd on 3/23/09. I know that the state law says that it is supposed to take up to 8 weeks until they accept or deny you. I haven't heard a word about my permit yet. It has been almost 7 months! I called my local pd which is in CT by the way and the secretary said "I dont have any permits ready right now!" and hung up in my face. I dont want to have to call again and have them "lose" my app. Does anyone have any advise on what I should/can do?
    6 months and still waiting? Not me! I would be a a pain in their you know what! Insist on an answer they are there to serve the public not the public serving them. You pay their wages and don't let them forget it. Get an attorney if necessary because they are not above the law.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    If CT is a shall issue state and they have not denied you, then you should retain an attorney and take them to court to get your permit, the court will actually issue and order requiring them to act in a specified amount of time.

If it is a may issue state then it should be considered a denial, and you have no real recourse.
  • Explorer1Explorer1 Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to find out if CT is a shall issue or discrestionary issue state. That will determine if you need to call a lawyer or beg to the local PD.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as I know, Connecticut is still a "MAY" issue state.
    Which means they "may" not.

"The issuing authority has eight weeks to inform the applicant whether his or her application has been approved or denied. An eligibility certificate or permit to carry revocation or refusal to issue or renew

may be appealed within 90 days to the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners, State Armory, 505 Hudson Street, 5th Floor, Hartford, CT 06106.

No fee is charged for this review. A revocation or refusal to issue will be overturned by the Board if "just and proper cause" is found."
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    You present your paperwork to the local PD. The PD sends it to CT state Troopers in the Meriden barracks.

Meriden then sends it on to FBI/NICS awaiting further action. FBI gets back with their findings, so Meriden is the place to call to find out.

I'll bet that's where the snag lies.

PS..CT is small. No matter where you live, you will not be more than one hour drive away from Meriden. It's on I-91 and the old rt 66. Best, Joe