In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Weapons stockpile confiscated Los Angeles Ca

mrphotoguymrphotoguy Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
Los Angles Police chief took this has an opportunity to say this is why the AWB needs to be reinstated. Out of 350 plus weapons they say he only had 4 assault rifles and one silencer.

Here we go again, more fire power for them to use on the NEW AWB which I'm sure someone is working on as we speak.

By James Nash Los Angeles Ca Daily News
Staff Writer

Los Angeles police seized 387 illegal firearms from the home and car of a Simi Valley man -- a haul that nearly equals the number of guns confiscated by the LAPD's gun unit so far this year and exceeds last year's total, police said Friday.

Retired firefighter Wayne W. Wright, 56, was arrested during a sting Thursday morning in Porter Ranch after police received a tip that he might be selling guns without a license.

A search of Wright's home then revealed 376 rifles, shotguns, handguns and other weapons, they said. A silencer and thousands of rounds of ammunition, including tracer rounds and armor-piercing rounds, also were confiscated, as well as four assault rifles. The guns could have fetched about $250,000 on the street, police said.

"This is only one of 30 search warrants served by LAPD detectives this year targeting illegal sales and delivery of firearms," said Deputy Chief Gary Brennan. "Clearly, many of these weapons are the type that are used in crimes."

Wright, who has no prior criminal record, was not licensed to sell firearms, Los Angeles Police Department Lt. Steve Nielsen said. Wright was booked at the LAPD's Devonshire Division station on suspicion of illegal firearm sales. He could not be reached for comment Friday.
LAPD officials said they are cracking down on illegal firearms, noting that most violent crimes involve guns.

The LAPD's gun unit seized 348 firearms in 2003 and 411 so far this year, excluding the firearms found with Wright, police said.
Police declined to say what information led them to Wright, who they said frequented gun shows.

Nielsen said police haven't decided whether to pursue any of the people who bought guns from Wright. Nielsen said it can be difficult to prove that someone knowingly bought a gun from an illegal dealer.
Police Chief William Bratton and Mayor James Hahn, flanked by dozens of the firearms seized from Wright, told reporters at Parker Center on Friday that the cache of weapons illustrates the need for a nationwide assault-weapons ban.

The national ban expired earlier this week, despite pleas from officials in Los Angeles and other big cities for the White House to extend it. Assault weapons remain illegal in California.
Bratton said he's concerned that assault weapons purchased legally in other states could enter California.

"It is going to be tougher in California," he said.
James Nash, (213) 978-0390 james.nash@dailynews.com

Story Here
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20954~2409583,00.html

Comments

• BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Why would the police chief of los angles care if the ban was lifted or not? Kaliphornia has their own laws regaurding what is banned there. If the guy was breakin the law, then there we all have it. The law has been enforced and you and I souldn't have to pay for his mistake. Broke the law went to jail.
  • mrphotoguymrphotoguy Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beeramid
    Why would the police chief of los angles care if the ban was lifted or not? Kaliphornia has their own laws regaurding what is banned there. If the guy was breakin the law, then there we all have it. The law has been enforced and you and I souldn't have to pay for his mistake. Broke the law went to jail.

I agree 100% do the crime do the time. He is trying to make it look like this guy had 300 plus assault weapons, when this was not the case.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am never in favor of a person going to jail over a Malum prohibitum 'law'.

The only one who should be doing time here is the cops, for unlawful intrusion.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Remember how many seats were lost after AWB passage? Vae victis!
    Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hopefully they don't search my house......

medal.gif27Nov2003 Samarra, Iraq
  • John_CollinsJohn_Collins Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as the guns were obtained legally and stored properly I do not see what difference it makes if the man has 50 assault type weapons in his collection. The article never said exactly what crime Wright allegedly committed. I wrote to the writer of the article blasting him for being inaccurate and leaving to many obvious questions unanswered only to make it look like someone was illegally selling automatic weapons. Now that may turn out to be the case, but they never stated what he was actually accused of but more to the point that over 300 guns were seized making it appear that 300 assault type guns were seized. Maybe he sold a shotgun to his neighbor. One thing for sure, you'll never get the real truth from that newspaper writer.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ain't that the truth.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It used to be in this free country you could have a gun collection and that was what it was called. You also used to be able to sell or trade firearms with your fellow citizens. This guy's gun sale violation was only a misdemeanor.

When do we storm the Bastille?

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Defender Posted - 10/03/2004 : 10:18:36 PM
    quote:When do we storm the Bastille

Stop funding the NRA..GOA..Stop calling your Congressman.Within 5 years,the garbage in Washington will enact a total ban on firearms.

30 days later,we will know whether there are enough Americans left in this country to take freedom back from the Elites...
  • DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Today's American gun owners will simply turn over their guns as they shake their heads. Just like they did in the place they call "Down Under". As for the folks that hold out and later get caught, they will snich off their friends to get better deals. It's a great country isn't it?

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
    edited November -1
    I believe that 95-97 % of the people in this country will submit.

3% WILL NOT...that means 7 Million best of the best..will not turn in their guns.
    Enough......
  • gonzo1510gonzo1510 Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Highball.... I'm in.
    edited November -1
    GOOD:
    No Red blooded American will turn in guns.Only cowards and Queslings will do so...The only thing lower then those turning in their guns..(In the event of a ban)..is those slimebags turning in their neighbors for having a gun.Scum trying to destroy those braver and smarter then they...

The only reason to turn in "Some" guns...is for tactical advantages..

Part of my personal beliefs...Anyone promoting Gun Control has voluntarily renounced their American citizenship...I do not believe you can trash the Constitution and remain a citizen.
  • rassd71rassd71 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is absurd. So far I haven't found any 'evidence' of a crime in what's been reported. He allegedly may have sold guns illegaly. What a crock.

But we'll need more than 3% to take back the country.

I'm with ya, if it comes to it.
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3% is more than enough . . way more than enough.
  • Ol Grey GhostOl Grey Ghost Member Posts: 338 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I remember correctly the State of California requires a second State-only license for even those who buy and sell through the classifieds or the "Thrifty Nickel"; I'm guessing this might be the crime the report is refering as "selling without a license" (I will concede to anyone who lives in California who knows more than me and you have my sympathies too).

What bothers me is: 1.) LAPD has an special section called the "Gun Unit" 2.) All rifle ammunition can be considered "armor piercing" so we need details to what they are refering to 3.) Any firearm can be used in a crime (using a firearm in crime is a crime in and of itself) so how can they say that his arsenal was specifically for criminal types.

Points of Interest: Mr. Wright has no prior criminal record. Could he have applied for the California License and been turned down because he would not do enough business to qualify and then be prosecuted later when he started to do enough business (happened to FFL/non-FFL's back in the 70's). If every weapon was purchased through general transactions with other private citizens, obviously an FFL would not be required so what are the specifics of the State-issued license that apply in this matter?

Just one word on those who would resist Government Ban/Confiscation programs, I think you need to add in the individual cultures of the separate States. I think you can count on Texas at 50% non-compliance while some more urbanized States like New Jersey will have a 99% compliance ratio. I bet there will be popular celebrities who will make commercials taunting the "benefits" of complying with the Law.

"As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord and not give up a single weapon until they have caught all our bullets (and then we have swords and knives)."
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ol Grey Ghost
    If I remember correctly the State of California requires a second State-only license for even those who buy and sell through the classifieds or the "Thrifty Nickel"; I'm guessing this might be the crime the report is refering as "selling without a license" (I will concede to anyone who lives in California who knows more than me and you have my sympathies too).

California requires that all firearms transfers be conducted through a dealer. There are a few exceptions, one being for rifles and shotguns that are over 50 years old.
  • gtcpl2gtcpl2 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Why would the police chief of los angles care if the ban was lifted or not? Kaliphornia has their own laws regaurding what is banned there.

He cares because he doesn't want anyone to own assualt weapons. He also figures if he speaks out loud to the press it helps to support others as they look up to this officer of the law who wants to denie us our rights under the law.

What bullshXXt