In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CCL and under 21 years old in OHIO

cmeng12cmeng12 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Hey there gang, I'm new to the boards but I had a question:

My college has been going through a pretty rough patch, about 6 or 7 kids have been assaulted on / directly near the campus within the last month alone. Obviously I know the laws make carrying period illegal on school grounds.
I'm wondering if it is possible in the state of ohio to get a concealed carry license before your 21, and what the procedure is. I haven't seen good documentation on it, and it may be something I would look into. Being 20, im only about 8 months away from 21, but with everything going on and being so close to the bad parts of cleveland, it may make sense to try to get one early for off campus carrying.

Thanks for the help,

Colton

Comments

• Options
    CannonFodderCannonFodder Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would call the court house or sheriffs department and ask them about all the specifics of your area.
    What i do know is that you must be at least 21 purchase a pistol or any pistol ammo.
    You first have to take a firearms safety class (about $30), go to the court house/sheriffs dept. with the proof of the class completion, and you will also need identification and some cash for the fee that might be pricey.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CannonFodder
    I would call the court house or sheriffs department and ask them about all the specifics of your area.
    What i do know is that you must be at least 21 purchase a pistol or any pistol ammo.
    You first have to take a firearms safety class (about $30), go to the court house/sheriffs dept. with the proof of the class completion, and you will also need identification and some cash for the fee that might be pricey.

You were correct, up until the red.

Unless something has changed:
    You MUST take the NRA handgun coarse (about $100) then after completion, you go to the sherriff's dept. with the certificate, a recent passport photo (CVS did mine for $10), your ID and money orders for the EXACT amount) for the fees (which if I am not mistaken cost right around 60 bucks). Yor will get a hard CCW card right there, with your picture on it.

For some reason, I am thinking you have to come in first for the background check, and AFTER that is complete, you come in for your CCW.

You will need to retake the NRA coarse every eight years, if you intend to keep the CCW.
  • Options
    CannonFodderCannonFodder Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you freemind for helping get him the right info (: The $30 class was given by Gander Mtn in my area and probably was just a safety class and wouldn't count. I have just moved and trying to decide on what to do about getting my ccl.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another approach is to carry a cane. Perfectly legal, I keep one in the truck. I always carry in unfamiliar territory.[;)] Eddie