In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

just some thoughts and musings

flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
I didn't grow up around guns. I grew up in a suburb of New Jersey, and only ever shot a gun when I went to visit my Grandfather in PA. New Jersey just isn't gun country.

I went to college out in Colorado, where firearms are a much bigger part of life. I was amazed to discover that I could just present my CO drivers license, and after a quick check I could walk out with a handgun. I never did excercise my right out there though . . .

I came back to the East after graduation when I moved to New York City. It has been over my past 8 years here that I have become alarmed at what I see happening to the nation. My concerns caused me to read more, and ultimately to purchase a copy of the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence. What an eye opener for a kid who was the product of public schools in New Jersey. Quite simply, although I grew up in a conservative family, I was never taught what these documents really meant, and how radical of a departure they were in the long tyrannical history of human kind. I was moved.

In the past 5 years I have traveled across the globe through Asia, Europe, Central America, Africa, and the Middle East. I've seen firsthand what people live like when they are not protected by the documents I have mentioned above. I have seen how they are forced to live when thier rights come from a government, and are not considered inalienable rights granted by a Creator that NO MAN can take away.

Anyway, I got into guns simply because I made a decision to support the Ammendment that everybody else seemed to think was the least relevant. (Heck, I became a member of the NRA 2 years before I bought my first gun) After all, to dismiss the 2nd would be in my view open the door to dismiss the rest of our rights. It was never about guns for me at the start, it was about exercising my God-given rights. Of course, once I got into shooting I have grown to love it. I jumped through the hoops here in NYC for a year to get my pistol license, and I am fortunate enough to have been able to build a small cabin upstate where I can enjoy an ever-growing collection of long guns.

I've read all your posts, and I enjoy this site. But I have to tell you, I'm nervous my friends. I love my adopted home of New York City with all my heart, but those of you outside of the population centers in the East and West coasts have no idea what is considered acceptable by the people here; you really can't imagine the complete loss of personal responsiblility and the reliance on the government I see around me nearly every day. More importantly, you cannot possibly imagine the complete ingnorance about the principles our nation was founded on among some seemingly very intellegent people - many of whom I call friends.

I don't know what our way out is. I regularly write my reps, but how much will Schumer and Hillary do for us? As for me, I only try to present my opinions to people in a way that cuts across party lines and in a positive manner that will appeal to their own desire for true freedom and liberty. I've brought 4 people into the gun community in the past year, and I've hopefully impacted many more when they read my copies of our precious documents that I keep in my apartment and my cabin.

I think we need to educate people about the difference between having a right and needing permision. When they understand there is a major difference, they will begin to fight back to take back thier rights.

Going to the masses and defending our right to keep and bear arms is not the only answer. Those that don't own guns need reasons to support our cause. The only way I see this happening is to tie in our agenda with the defense of the rest of the Bill of Rights. . . . and we've got to start making noise in a constructive manner that won't get us branded as "gun nuts". How about a march in DC in defense of ALL of the Bill of Rights, including the Right to Keep and Bear Arms?

I understand that I am rambling on here. . . but I'm an optommist at heart - albiet a nervous one - and there has to be a way to take people like me who never really cared about guns not all that long ago, and take them down the same path I have traveled. Any thoughts??

Comments

• longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    What a refreshing read..............YOU my friend give me hope.YOU are WHY we are here.Folks like you we need to find,band together and educate the masses.One at a time if necessary,more at a time if possible. The fact that you figured it out on your own gives cause to hope.The public education system rots...leave no child behind indeed,They do not teach abot things like the constitution,loyalty,integrity,patriotisim and such.In short it is all the "dumbing" down of the masses.Folks like us are the check left in place to prevent it,at the voting booth,at the club,at camp.Wherever ans whenever we can.Talk it up,make copies and leave them here and there...educate.....its all we got.....Trfox and others try and bring someone shooting,and then if they wish give them info on purchase.Let folks know how you feel and why you do feel that way.I agree that in order to defend the 2nd we must defend it all....we can't have it just one way.Keep brainstorming here,lotsa ideas run thru this forum.Take part,glad you did,stay a while........
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes it seems like it just doesn't matter. [:(]
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    some really good thought posted here. Maybe there is hope after all.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    24 reads in a day.Most by the same 4-5 folks,I wager....

Therein lies the problem..Thus my belief that it will come down in the end to 3 to 5 % of the population..and their willingness to do the impossible....Beat the Beast.

never be discourged,never give up..and I pass on the thoughts of a 20 year old girl that saw her mother murdered,shot thru the head while holding a baby..this girl crawled thru her mothers blood for 10 days,to feed her men....

"NEVER FORGIVE..NEVER FORGET..".
    edited November -1
    Just had a thought guys.............As much as I dislike the NRA...I do stand behind their educating the youth inso far as Safety is concerned. Could we not get together with those instructors perhaps or some of us go to a gun club,encourage the youth to attend.And just talk about the Constitution and how it appplies to each of us.And how important it is to get out and vote. I am sure that there are SOME organizations somewhere that would welcome it.It would be an opportunity to educate and pass out a little material that may find its way out to others........?
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Good luck,Longhunter.

A careful reading of posts will reveal some of the most rabidly against that which you stand for are NRA instructors..or have taught at THAT LEVEL OR ABOVE.
    Some of the harshest critism of you and I come from this group..they have been completely brain-washed by the structure..and wish there to be no disturbance at all in their set thinking..

I have found that to be true on the local level,also..the tripe they are fed sticks with them...I.E., compromise is necessary to retain any guns at all..and if you don't send money to the NRA...we will all lose our guns....

And the older these guys get..the more rabid they become.To do any less then to defend the last 60 years..is to admit that THEY FAILED TO DEFEND AMERICAN RIGHTS....and they will never,ever admit that.

Because I am of that generation..I to failed..but they took me down that sewer with them..kicking and screaming every inch of the way.

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
    edited November -1
    How very sad highball............I was omce an NRA instructor..many years ago now...In 2 states.SIGH......It would seem a good thing to just add a short course...and would'nt cost a thing...I know that I would have welcomed it....Ah well,I will endeavor to try at the least.
  • spike449spike449 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    FLAT8,
    What a great post and testimonial.

I agree with all you said, but one more thing needs to be added to your list. The Christian Heritage and values that shaped this great nation of ours. Bring it back.

The same Liberal Press that bashes Gun Owners is the same one that berates and despises the Christian moral stand and outrage that we so desperately need.

The Ten Commandments cannot hang in a courthouse, and yet without them ALL of our laws are without a foundation. Those "Papers" you have your friends read, will be just that...paper.

Let us bring purpouse to our lives. Will we be willing to risk "our very lives, fortunes and sacred honor" to defend the Values, Principles and Constitution we know exists?

Good judgement comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgement. Gen. Omar Bradley
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all your thoughts -

Longhunter - I like your idea about getting more involved with the NRA. Spike 449, You're right about our values. The reason that GOD is being removed from the public square is simple . . according to the Declaration of Independence, our rights are guaranteed by our Creator. Remove the Creator and where then do we get our rights?? Three guesses.

Longhunter, I read your post in the General Discussion room. I'd like to hear more about your life and how you were getting harassed by the powers that be. Email me if you'd like.

Anyway, I'm heading to Egypt, Jordan, and the UAE for two weeks, but I'll continue this discussion when we I get back.