In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Right to Carry ACT TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Terrible idea.

1. Confirms Federal authority over how, when, where, and why a person can carry a firearm.

2. To get this passed, all states will have to have their carry laws brought 'up' to a minimum standard acceptable to limp-wristed gun-grabbers in any state.

3. This will be yet another 'good idea' that will have to be overturned in order to re-gain our freedom.

Good-bye to the freedom those in Alaska and Vermont currently have. Good-bye to the partial freedom of those in the many states that do not require registration of the identified carry piece. Good-bye to the partial freedom of those in the many states that require only the standard background check before they shall issue a permit.

One must ask himself why Mr. LaPerri?r supports this legislation.

Perhaps, just perhaps, all carry holders will have to be trained and certified by a licensed and certified instructor.

Who, pray tell, offers this type of service?

Who pray tell, benefits monetarily from providing this service?

edit: The only proper legislation would be a bill that eliminates CCW permits, restrictions, registration, etc. But that is the actual law already, isn't it?
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. McManus,

Hit.[;)]

It is amazing how many folks are so proud of the permission slip they begged from Daddy, obtaining approval to exercise a right which was their's to begin with.
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And how much you want to bet the training would be a NRA event with the cost set by them (training and the cost of a "nationwide permit"). More than I want to spend and closer than I want to get to the NRA.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wsfiredude
    It is amazing how many folks are so proud of the permission slip they begged from Daddy, obtaining approval to exercise a right which was their's to begin with.

Agreed, Mr. Dude.[:)]

I have one, and will until the day it is no longer necessary to have in order to avoid a stay at the graybar.

Frankly, when I first applied, I was thankful that our county deemed me worthy. Renewals have been approached with a much different attitude.

Brad Steele
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

I have one, and will until the day it is no longer necessary to have in order to avoid a stay at the graybar.

Frankly, when I first applied, I was thankful that our county deemed me worthy. Renewals have been approached with a much different attitude.
    Brother Don, wide awake and pointing out that it is what it is.[:)]
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:Frankly, when I first applied, I was thankful that our county deemed me worthy. Renewals have been approached with a much different attitude.
    That, friend Don, is the attitude that is subtly foisted upon decent citizens. It is a deliberate aim of the anti-gunners, from the nra down to the most vocal grabbers ..and it is bought without question by the majority.

You see it brought up time after time when discussions arise about the increased power of government to snoop around in private affairs .."if you have nothing to hide ..ect.

As you have discovered...it is the kill trap for liberties ..a dead end street for freedom.
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

Understood, and do not believe for one second that my comment was directed at folks like yourself. You have a clearer understanding of the Constitution than most, and I know that some folks are having to hold their nose, and do what they have to do to effect their safety.[;)]
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ruckin69
    http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=5061

Had it since before my birth. Thanks, Founders and thank you God for allowing my birth to be in a nation that those God fearing men visualized, then MADE it happen!![:D]

Ruckin? NRA? You're kidding, right? Lordy lordy lordy.
  • cabnetmancabnetman Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simple solution: let the Federal Government adopt the same rules that Vermont and Alaska have regarding CC laws. It seems to work great there.
    edited November -1
    I think we've "let" the govt. do quite too much already.
    edited November -1
    quote:I think we've "let" the govt. do quite too much already.
    Yes, I absolutly agree. However, this is one that I would be in favor of.
    edited November -1
    quote:Yes, I absolutly agree. However, this is one that I would be in favor of.

Sounds a lot like a loyal nra member. They TOO have been in favor of NICs checks, disarming vets, and other endless government infringments of the Second.

All of you operate under the same umbrella as shumen, dodd, kennedy, ect.
    Either you support the Second ....or you do NOT !!
    edited November -1
    quote:Sounds a lot like a loyal nra member.
    BULL......this has nothing to do with the NRA. If every state had the same laws as Vermont and Alaska (that is, if you own a gun you can carry it however you want and that includes concealed). Now that to me is OK.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cabnetman
    BULL......this has nothing to do with the NRA. If every state had the same laws as Vermont and Alaska (that is, if you own a gun you can carry it however you want and that includes concealed). Now that to me is OK.
    cabnetman:

The NRA (and disappointingly the GOA) inserted themselves into this issue and pushed it as a 2nd Amendment friendly bill. It is obviously not. The argument has been made that it is pro-gun, and that it promotes the ability of CCW holders to freely travel (more about this later), but there can be no legitimate argument that adding yet another layer of governmental intrusion respects the RTKBA.

It is my opinion, for what that's worth, that this bill would have eventually became a standardization of CCW laws throughout the country. The end result would most likely have been a Federally mandated training and certification program for this 'National CCW', and it most likely would have included registration of specific carry weapons for each CCW holder, yearly (and costly) re-evaluations, etc. Without these controls, one has to assume that many of the more restrictive states would have simply opted out of the CCW issuing business altogether.

It would probably have, ended up with a few states dropping out and many states being forced to adopt much stricter controls than they currently have. There is no realistic way that this bill would have had a positive effect on even a significant minority's freedom to carry.

All this is in addition to the simple fact that encouraging Federal involvement simply codifies the right of the Federal Government to infringe upon that which it Constitutionally cannot.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    Don, I agree with everyting you say. Read my original post.

quote:Simple solution: let the Federal Government adopt the same rules that Vermont and Alaska have regarding CC laws.
    Those two states don't have any regulations regarding CC laws and that goes hand in hand with the 2nd amendment. No restrictions. We have the right to own and carry any gun.
    edited November -1

quote:Simple solution: let the Federal Government adopt the same rules that Vermont and Alaska have regarding CC laws.
    Those two states don't have any regulations regarding CC laws and that goes hand in hand with the 2nd amendment. No restrictions. We have the right to own and carry any gun.
    cabnetman:

I noted that, but had to question the 'adopt the same rules' portion, followed up with the 'this is one I would be in favor of' in your later post. These two statements obviously contradict one another.

IMO, the only proper Federal intervention would be a SCOTUS decision eliminating the power of the states to regulate carry (concealed or otherwise) in totality. If Congress gets involved in any way, it is overstepping its Constitutional authority.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    quote:IMO, the only proper Federal intervention would be a SCOTUS decision eliminating the power of the states to regulate carry (concealed or otherwise) in totality.
    I just don't see that happening. Only in a perfect world and we are far from a perfect world. So, IMO, we need to grab the best that we can get before we can't get anything. I know that is settling for 2nd best and we need to take that and fight for the best.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to be part of the forum as it seems like a good one. I'm one of those Pennsylvanians that Obama said that we "cling to our guns and religion". I'm a redneck and proud of it. Hope that doesn't offend anyone here, but if it does, so-be-it.[^]
    edited November -1
    I just don't see that happening. Only in a perfect world and we are far from a perfect world. So, IMO, we need to grab the best that we can get before we can't get anything. I know that is settling for 2nd best and we need to take that and fight for the best.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to be part of the forum as it seems like a good one. I'm one of those Pennsylvanians that Obama said that we "cling to our guns and religion". I'm a redneck and proud of it. Hope that doesn't offend anyone here, but if it does, so-be-it.[^]
    I have to disagree with you, cabinetman. 2nd best may be a looser noose, but is is still a noose. With my eye towards the sugar vs. vinegar analogy, I will leave it at that and simply encourage you to think deeply about what is, can be, and should be; and to keep an open mind.

It was not that long ago I would have been solidly in your camp. I now believe that the only way we will keep the beast at bay is to keep the door closed and to seek and persist at closing those that are now open. Thune-Vitter would have been the opening of a door that is currently closed.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    Hmmmm I'll have to think on that Don.

The problem I see is that the door is already open and the likes of Schumer, Kennedy, Boxer, Fienstien and the Brady bunch is trying to open it further and take away all our gun rights. They don't care about what the Constitution says. What we need to do is figure out how to close that door permanetely and that begins with getting all those liberal congress people out of office and replace them with 2nd amendment people and strict constitutionalists. I would be the first one to admit that is not an easy task, but one that must be done.
    edited November -1
    Hmmmm I'll have to think on that Don.

That's all we can ask. Thanks.

edit:

I was going to leave it at that, but cannot.

Congress does not matter. So long as we the people believe that Congressmen have power over the 2nd, they will think they do and will act accordingly. A Congressman stating that he will enact legislation that supports the 2nd Amendment has proven that he is either a pretender or a stooge.

If, however, that Congressman states that Congress has no power to legislate issues regarding arms, and that those currently on the books are an affront to our Constitution, he has potential. We can count those Congressmen on one finger.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    Congress has usurped its authority in every sector of our life. Where does the Constitution give them the right for health care or prescription drugs? They don't have the right; they took it because that's what the people wanted. That is the same path that we are going down with the 2 nd. It is not what the constitution says anymore, it's what the people want, and that is going down a very slippery path and I don't have an answer as to how to stop it. Not sure it can be stopped. That is one of the reasons I was happy about the outcome of the Heller case. You can say all sorts of bad things about that case, but at least it has established law precedence.
    edited November -1
    Congress has usurped its authority in every sector of our life. Where does the Constitution give them the right for health care or prescription drugs? They don't have the right; they took it because that's what the people wanted. That is the same path that we are going down with the 2 nd. It is not what the constitution says anymore, it's what the people want, and that is going down a very slippery path and I don't have an answer as to how to stop it. Not sure it can be stopped. That is one of the reasons I was happy about the outcome of the Heller case. You can say all sorts of bad things about that case, but at least it has established law precedence.

Bill:

I will leave the Heller case for another day, but will recommend serious consideration of what precedents were actually established. It was obviously discussed at length here.

All the best,

Don

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    OK Don, we will leave the Heller case for another day. However, I must say this about that case; if the decision had gone the other way, we would be screwed big time now.[;)]
    edited November -1
    OK Don, we will leave the Heller case for another day. However, I must say this about that case; if the decision had gone the other way, we would be screwed big time now.[;)]
    Straws and camels, Bill. Never forget the straws and camels.[:)]

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    quote:OK Don, we will leave the Heller case for another day. However, I must say this about that case; if the decision had gone the other way, we would be screwed big time now
    Actually, we would be a giant step closer to regaining our Second Amendment Rights ;

OR we would be a giant step nearer to the slit trenches and mass burials.

Which it would be depends solely upon the courage and the resolution of the remnant Americans here in this land of americans.
    edited November -1
    quote:Sounds a lot like a loyal nra member.

Read the 2nd amendment...s l o w l y

See it?

Are you still for handing what's left of that God given right completely over to the govt, because that's what this would do?
    edited November -1
    .... We have the right to own and carry any gun.

Without a NEW law. See it yet?
    edited November -1
    [ So, IMO, we need to grab the best that we can get before we can't get anything. I know that is settling for 2nd best and we need to take that and fight for the best.

That is the problem right there. We have the high ground in every way, yet we constantly give it up and call it "compromise"....sheesh!
    edited November -1

What you have just described is "Democracy". We however, are supposed to be a "Republic". The founders feared a democracy for just the things you see happening today. Our sold out reps, at the instruction of those who control them, knew that with welfare (#5 in my signature line) they could turn this into a democracy. A working republic would end their agenda immediately.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf

What you have just described is "Democracy". We however, are supposed to be a "Republic". The founders feared a democracy for just the things you see happening today. Our sold out reps, at the instruction of those who control them, knew that with welfare (#5 in my signature line) they could turn this into a democracy. A working republic would end their agenda immediately.
    Well what is one to do.[?] I agree with you but I think we are trapped. We haven't been a Republic for years.
    edited November -1
    quote:Well what is one to do
    One continues to drive a wedge between ordinary, decent folks and the spoilers of the Republic anywhere, anytime it is possible.
    Naturally, this requires one to educate themselves...and ruthlessly eradicate every trace of government propaganda as is possible within oneself.

Then, one prepares themselves and the people around them to exploit that crack when it widens enough to push the elites off their throne.
    At that point, we the people can once again assume our rightful position as Sovereign citizens..Masters of the government.

One CERTAINLY does not start cheering wildly when the State determines that `reasonable gun controls are Constitutional'..(Heller).

One does NOT cheer when CCW is proclaimed to a `Right'.

EVERY TIME that decent ordinary citizens fill out paperwork to buy a gun, carry a gun, beg permission to even OWN a gun ..we add to the suffocating load of servitude we suffer under ..and weaken the case for "Shall Not Be Infringed".

The simple, BRUTAL truth ;
    We the People, since 1934, have so weakened the Second ..any Court will look at 70 years of people begging to own weapons as `case history' ..as to make only ONE solution possible to regain control of America in any fashion similar to what the Founders visioned.

I leave it to you to understand what that method is.
    edited November -1
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The Second Amendment IS my concealed carry permit"
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    quote:Congress has usurped its authority in every sector of our life. Where does the Constitution give them the right for health care or prescription drugs? They don't have the right; they took it because that's what the people wanted.Not meaning to hijack anything, but the only "people" who might have wanted the above are the standard entitlement crowd (millions of them here in Georgia, especially around Atlanta) or blind party hacks who have bought the "free high-quality health care" lie.
  • VirgilCaineVirgilCaine Member Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the Federal Government is allowed to regulate states on general gun laws, watch out. The laws will be a changin' just like the times.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    quote:Congress has usurped its authority in every sector of our life. Where does the Constitution give them the right for health care or prescription drugs? They don't have the right; they took it because that's what the people wanted.Not meaning to hijack anything, but the only "people" who might have wanted the above are the standard entitlement crowd (millions of them here in Georgia, especially around Atlanta) or blind party hacks who have bought the "free high-quality health care" lie.
    That's the problem. Just wait until the "blind party hacks" buy into the lie that it is guns that kill and and not the people behind the gun. Then the mass of the people want the guns gone and where does that leave us?
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    They already have, and they are not "the mass of the people."
    edited November -1
    Yep, they are the ones that don't believe in the Constitution or the 2nd amendment, and they are the ones that will destroy our country. God help us all.[:(]
  • miker4_umiker4_u Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    July 27, 2009

The Thune Amendment: Welcome to the Masquerade

A few weeks back, I sent you an email about the NRA's national concealed carry bill that certain Republicans were trying to attach to the speech-regulating "hate crimes" legislation.

In that message, I wrote about many of the dangers posed by the NRA's original proposal to federalize our CCW system -- and they are myriad.

(I've provided a link to NAGR's original statement on the problems with the NRA's plan at the bottom of this email in case you want to read or reread it.)

But just last week, there was a new national reciprocity bill on gun owners' minds -- and on the Senate floor: The Thune amendment.

As you probably know, it failed by two votes.

And I'd like to tell you why.

It wasn't a "lack of unity" in the Republican party that led to the Thune amendment's 58-39 demise: The Thune amendment was never supposed to pass.

The entire process was calculated to fail by faux Republicans and vulnerable Democrats scheming together -- but only after dozens of anti-gunners on both sides of the aisle could exploit the chance to dissemble on the record as gun rights supporters.

It's Washington politics at its finest -- voting "yes" on an ostensibly pro-gun bill orchestrated to die just short of the needed number of votes, but that could still be used to dupe constituents.

This is what happened in a nutshell:

* Knowing that there are not enough votes for passage, Senator Thune proposes the amendment (as cover, we think, for all the faux gun rights supporters in the Senate) with the understanding that Harry Reid will only allow it on the floor if he can get a filibuster threat, thus rendering the amendment impossible to pass.

* Senator Schumer immediately threatens to filibuster (more grandstanding), so now the amendment needs 60 votes to invoke cloture.

(Read between the lines here: The bill did not have enough votes to pass anyway, so all the filibuster threat did was to give these scumbags 9 more "safe" yes votes to parade around.)

* Senators Schumer and Reid secure all the nay votes needed to ensure defeat.

* Then, as guided by Reid and Schumer, Republican and Democrat anti-gunners (especially those in rural or conservative states) seize the opportunity to vote for something none of them actually believe in just to pacify their constituents.

"See! Look! I voted for this bill! I'm pro-gun!"

Senators were literally getting permission from Schumer and Reid to vote for the amendment -- permission because they couldn't surpass 59 votes -- lest the bill actually pass.

(Gasp!)

And remember who cooperated with this whole scheme: None other than Mr. Thune.

Great cover vote, fellas. What integrity.

Don't believe me? I'll let Luke's newest blog post -- which contains the damning snippet from the Washington Post about Mark Pryor's (D-AR) and Chuck Schumer's signal exchange on the Senate floor -- explain the rest.

Click here to read Luke's commentary and leave a comment.

In Liberty,

Dudley Brown
    Executive Director

P.S. The National Association for Gun Rights can always use your help as we are completely dependent on our members' generosity. Please click here to donate.

To read or reread my earlier statement on the first national CCW bill as formulated by the NRA, click here.

To help the National Association for Gun Rights grow, please forward this to a friend.

To view this email as a web page, please click this link: view online.

Help fight gun control. Donate to the National Association for Gun Rights!
    edited November -1
    I would like to read it, however, your link is GONE! Who took that link? Another sneaky politician?