In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Detroit homeowner used gun, gets charged...

Comments

• MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    "What are you going to do shoot me" LOL love it.

I just hope he dosen't get convected. Shame he didn't have a throw down gun.
  • bluesman39bluesman39 Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some good comments on that article.
  • AQUAINFLAQUAINFL Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Florida concealed weapons permit.Literature I got with it clearly states use of a weapon authorized only if ones life is at stake.It clearly states one cannot use or show weapon to get one out of one's back or front yard.Not like in the movie where Clint says "Get off my lawn"Cannot do.Now if one finds someone inside his house that is a different matter.
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    quote:I have a Florida concealed weapons permit.Literature I got with it clearly states use of a weapon authorized only if ones life is at stake.It clearly states one cannot use or show weapon to get one out of one's back or front yard.Not like in the movie where Clint says "Get off my lawn"Cannot do.Now if one finds someone inside his house that is a different matter.

I thought Florida was a "Castle Doctrine" State??

If I am in my "yard" or in my car, or any other place I am "legally" allowed to be, I have no obligation to flee.

I will "show my gun" to any trespasser that enters my yard, because if they are uninvited I have no idea what their intentions are.
  • AQUAINFLAQUAINFL Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Florida your "castle"is your house or even your car,your boat[enclosed space]Not your yard,front or back.Someone enteres your"castle"uninvited usually means "he's"up to no good.But your yard .Hell "he could be a salesman,just lost in a mighty big yard .No reason to shoot.[}:)]
  • KeepandBearArmsKeepandBearArms Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a staunch believer in our Second Amendment rights but once there is no more danger to your life or your families you can't use deadly force. I get he was wrapped up in the moment but still.

Next time wait until the idoits break in. . .
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:but once there is no more danger to your life or your families you can't use deadly force.

Someday, perhaps we will live in a sane society.

One where a thief running off with your property can be treated ala 'Quigley down under".

That being..however you take the shot...it is a good shot.

A man stealing has forfeited his life...far as I am concerned.
  • mlitemlite Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. the castle doctrine applies to residence. that being your home, not property. you can brandish on your property but lethal force isn't covered when it comes to the castle doctrine. now if you acctually caught them in your home, you can empty the clip and not break the law.
    2. my opinion, if someone steps on my property with criminal intentions, whatever they may be, i should be allowed to shoot. you wanna end crime, make criminals truly scared to commit it. give more rights to civizens so they might not be victims
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Broken into 3x in a week.
    Sounds like a nice place to live.

One shot deal. I think this dude should and will be out no problems.
    Really sounds like a good failed law enforcement defense.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where did the quotes come from, the other burglar? Is that the homeowners side of the story? Hope not.

While I am on the homeowners side. It is once your no longer in danger for your own life.

Also morally, it is though shall not lie in wait to kill(murder). Somewhere, sometime the translation was changed. And Highball had it right, someone has forfeited their life, you do not take it when they try and do harm to you.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Since unlike most gun owners, instead of just sitting on the sidelines watching, I was more involved in the KS castle doctrine being passed. In KS, you have protection from arrest and prosecution and also from civil lawsuits if you face the threat of death or serious injury and you are in any place you legally have a right to be in. Walking down a city sidewalk for example.

That is the way all castle doctrines should be written and would be if more gun owners would spend just a little time helping with the gun rights battles.
    edited November -1
    "Unless there is a law permitting it, it is ILLEGAL " !!!.

What an insane viewpoint.

Rather then DEMANDING that Courts and juries recognize the intrinsic RIGHTS of an individual to defend himself..we pass laws permitting it.

Thanks, fox, for your hard work passing yet another LAW...instead of DEMANDING YOUR RIGHTS !!.
    Further codifying the belief that government..and ONLY government...knows best.

If the country wasn't FULL of abased cowards...'we gotta have gun laws'..this wouldn't even be an issue.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    HB, I was going to respond earlier today in much the same manner, although it wasn't as good as yours. But, I am tired of "communicating" with this troll, at least.
    edited November -1
    JP;
    I have watched your progess on these forums...and you are capable of clearly stating the facts any time you put your mind to it.

I certainly appreciate the invaluble help you give in this fight. Where once we were few..today we are many more.
  • freedomfighterfreedomfighter Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2009/12/detroit_homeowner_charged_afte.html

I like the comments[:D]

I wish there was more on the background/act of the thieves. Generally that kind of act is done by drug addicts who are professional thieves at a low level. The comment by the one that stopped the bullet is actually a common mentality in the drug addict/burglary world from what I've heard.

What really changes the situation is that the government WANTS the drug addicts because it provides a need for more law enforcement and illegal uses of guns that their political counterparts can use to whip up support for gun control They refuse at all levels no matter how many lives or tax money it will save.

Drug addiction is a form of mental illness. It is learned and reinforced over time with powerful mood altering, mind altering substances. I've discovered a very common sense treatment for it and government absolutely refuses to follow its own laws relating to health care and treat the problems.

This is probably the only action gun owners can take that will stop what is happening with people shooting burglers in their back yards and legislation infringing on gun rights. I've made a thread about it and there is a scanned letter from a municipal mental health department showing defacto approvals.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=434277