In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sometimes, it pays to legislate! Emails do work!

ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know this isn't an everyday occurence but I along with several million Americans flooded their reperesentatives and turned a vote around:

Dear Friends,

The White House push to short-circuit Patriot Act reform was soundly defeated in a Senate vote today, with five Republicans joining the call for real debate.

This vote paves the way for a bipartisan filibuster to restore checks and balances and protect the freedoms of innocent Americans.

The ACLU has been fighting this battle since the ink dried on the Patriot Act fours year ago, but we could have never have gotten this far without the tremendous support of a committed and bipartisan community of patriots.

We are well on our way to securing real reforms in the reauthorization bill, but the battle is far from over!

The White House and Senate leaders are working hard to pressure senators into changing their votes. Please call your senators NOW! Go to: http://action.aclu.org/call

This vote comes on the heels of today's revelation that President Bush secretly authorized the National Security Agency to eavesdrop on the conversations of U.S. citizens and others in the country in violation of federal law and the Constitution.

Please call your Senators and tell them to oppose any Patriot Act reauthorization bill that does not include reforms to protect the freedoms of innocent Americans.

Sincerely,

Anthony D. Romero
Executive Director
American Civil Liberties Union

It may not work all the time but if enough people get upset about it, it seems the Congress isn't yet willing to stampede past our wishes. This is a good thing and I hope we can eventualy defeat the entire Patriot Act.

upsdFlag.gif
There are two kinds of people in this World....Those who lead....and those who get the hell out of the way...GUT CHECK!...Which one are you?

Comments