In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

At what point are you a dealer?

mauidivermauidiver Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
I thinned out my gun collection last year and kept only the guns I shoot on a regular basis.
I doubt that I made any substantial profit, but was wondering if there's a limit to how many guns an individual can buy and sell in a given period of time. They were all local sales either through my local gunsmith or to friends and neighbors but this being Hawaii you have to take everything to the police station to have the paperwork stamped so there is a record of how many guns I transferred to other people.

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The BATF has never set any certain number of transactions as being "in the business" of selling firearms.

It is my "opinion" that selling off a personal collection, which took years to accumulate, is a lot different than buying firearms and selling them for profit, a short time later.

Many MANY people sell - collections.
    Some of them quite large.
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well then, what about doing selling on Gunbroker.....where all your sales go through an FFL?

Has there ever been a complaint about that?
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Bluntly;
    You 'are a dealer' at the point that the batf needs another headline.

Tough snit...but just another fact of life living under tyranny.
  • Options
    chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball is unfortunately correct. While it is unlikely you will be signaled out unless someone you sold a gun to does something really stupid with it, the law is vague for the same reason any law is vague. So it can be used to abuse.