In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

help on IL gun laws

egatimraegatimra Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
Heard on the news that they were setting up a new task force to stop illegal firearms coming into the state. What constitutes an illegal firearm? I am heading to a gunshow in april in an ajoining state, if I were to buy a gun there (legally) would I be breaking some law?
Thanks,

Comments

• egatimraegatimra Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    somebody has to know if i can buy a gun out of state.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure about your IL. firearms laws. But if it is illegal to own in your state, without being registered (or for whatever reason) now you are going to another state to buy one, then bring it back without registering it. (or whatever) It sounds pretty much like it is STILL illegal to me.

By your post, the whole purpose of you going out of state to buy a gun, is BECAUSE it is illegal where you live. Is this right? If so, not a smart move.

People that "move to" California find out right away, that some of the firearms that they have had for years are totally illegal where they just moved to. They have to sell them somewhere else, store them in some other state, or they are now, criminals.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    No, the reason I am going to another state to buy is that they charge an arm and a leg for an AR around here, but down at Knob Creek the prices are a little bit more reasonable. AR's are legal in IL. I shot a high power match this weekend and the FAL is just not up to shooting a good score at 200yrds.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like I said, I don't know about your state laws.
    Concerning federal laws, there is no problem buying a LONG gun out of state.
    Be it from a dealer, or private party.

Our club shoots the high power match, at the same time, as we shoot our pistol match. I have said that one of these days, I am going to go up there and see what it is all about. I can hear some of the RO's (SO?) calls, but have never shot, or attended one. Good luck on finding the "right" rifle.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These two paragraphs are copied from the link below. According to this, you can buy a long gun out of state as long as you meet the requirements of both states.

http://www.impactsites2000.com/site3/news/news73.htm

With some exceptions, the Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits the transfer of ownership or shipment of firearms from one State to another by unlicensed individuals. Only holders of a Federal Firearms License may lawfully ship and transfer ownership of firearms in interstate commerce and only to other holders of the FFL. This does not; however, preclude the purchase of a firearm in another State by an individual. The purchaser, in this case, must have the firearm shipped from the State where the gun was purchased to a FFL holder in Illinois who then can legally transfer the firearm to the purchaser as describe above.

There are two exceptions to this rule. The first is the Contiguous State Rule which allows Illinois citizens to legally purchase and take possession of long guns (but not handguns) in contiguous states including Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, Kentucky and Indiana if the legal requirements of both Illinois and the State of purchase are met. Handguns are not included in this rule and can only be legally transferred between FFL holders in both States. The other exception is the shipment by the legal owner of any firearm to a gunsmith or other repair facility that is located outside of the State of Illinois for the purpose of repair, upgrading, etc. The firearm can then be legally shipped directly back to the owner after the work is completed.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, that answered my question. I knew several people who had bought out of state, who went through the background check, and were not met at the border. but with the way illinois is going that could happen sooner than later.
  • blugillblugill Member Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To pickenup. Guns dont have to be registered in Illinois. You have to have a f.o.i.d. card to legally possess a hand gun or long gun. Cant even ask to look at any gun in a shop without showing your card
  • 65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard you can buy an updated copy of the guide to firearms laws to all the 50 states. I do not know where to look but I would try the NRA, or pladin press (has all sorts of books on the subject).

On a side note what the goverment dont know wont hurt them.[;)]
  • 65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. registration
    2. legistation
    3. confiscation
    4. exterimination

when the goverment knows where everything is, it is very likely they will sweep through us like a cancerous disease.

aka hillary clinton
  • dano1dano1 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good read and what 65 was refering to:

http://www.gunlawguide.com/
  • 50575057 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have no problems buying rifles and shotguns in Wisconsin.
    My nephew just got a ak .
    You have to wait 24 hours to pick it up.
    I got a 870 cash and carry.
    They did do a back round check.
    And they did ask for a foid when they found out we were from illnoise
    I have gone to many gun shows in Wis with on problems
    You can not purchas a hand gun or a suppreser.
    Witch you can own in Wis.if you like to hunt squirrel.

FIGHT CRIME
    shoot back!